Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-14-2008, 12:43 AM   #1
mjdb
Kiwi Member
mjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-books

Device: NAEB Bookeen Cybook Gen3, eBookman
Fast replacement of Reader with Broken Screen

I wondered about starting a new thread, or posting this in one of the Broken Screen Threads in the Gen3 Troubleshooting subforum.

I decided to post it here, because what I mainly wanted to say was that I was impressed by the Bookeen customer service.
(And I have previously complained about them not replying to emailed bug reports)

My screen broke, I sent it back to Bookeen, paid them some money, and got a replacement very quickly.

I just assumed that the known to be fragile eInk screen cracked internally due to my mishandling. However, after just reading some of the broken screen threads here, I now wonder if I wasn't totally at fault after all.
Too late to make a fuss I guess, I now have a replacement for a total cost that was 2/3 for what I originally paid.

I do definitely intend to get or make a hard external case to go outside of the Bookeen brown leather cover that clearly doesn't adequately protect the fragile reader.

I discovered the readers screen was cracked internally, and unusable, when I got it out of my pocket to read while waiting in a queue.

It being Winter here, I had on a jacket with big pockets, and the reader in its leather case had been in the jacket pocket for four short car trips since I had last used it.
My assumption was that the mechanism of injury was a twisting in the pocket, with the reader unfortunately positioned between my body and the car's seat belt.

Anyway my main point is that I sent my broken reader back to France, and now have a replacement reader.

I thought it was appropriate to note that the process was painless (other
than financially) and Bookeen's service, both as regards email communication,
and turnaround time in sending the new reader was admirably prompt.

I was interested to discover that they didn't replace the cracked screen in
my otherwise working reader, instead they appear to have replaced the whole
device.

The exterior case is obviously new (lacking my name on the back and the
grooved my finger nail had dug into the navigation button), with a different
serial number, and the PID has changed, which I assume means it is a
different motherboard.

It is the same original edition of the Hardware as my earlier reader, with
64/54 MB available Flash, vs the newer version with 512 internal.
Also it came with the older v1.0 Build 538 of the OS, (rather than the v1.1
Build 685 to which I had upgraded).

The navigation button on this new case seems easier to push and less stiff.
Perhaps just my imagination, but IIRC that is supposed to be the other change with the newer edition.

I don't know how Bookeen calculate their serial numbers.
I am certain that they have not sold 700,133 devices in three months.
The reader that was new in March was #2104549, while this is #2804682
Perhaps the 8 as the second digit indicates a replacement unit, or some other lesser change ?

If anyone is interested in some more pictures of a broken eInk screen
http://www.bonham.net.nz/pic/Gen3_Cr..._power_off.jpg
http://www.bonham.net.nz/pic/Gen3_Cr...n_power_on.jpg

I emailed them requesting a RMA number, and received one six hours later.

I note that the trip from NZ to France with DHL stopped at more places
enroute than the faster return from France to NZ with FedEx.
(The shipping cost was essentially the same, each way, at just under US$50,
and the repair was EU100 - approx $150 US)

http://www.dhl.com/cgi-bin/tracking.pl?AWB=1770505122

http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?tracknumbers=954919300164

Note that my old reader arrived in France on a Friday, and the new one was
shipped on the Monday.
In between they emailed me a website link at which I paid for the repair and return shipping.

Martin.
mjdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:13 AM   #2
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Thanks for the info!

I emailed Bookeen on Thursday about the screen, but they didn't respond today so I suppose I'll have to wait until next week to hear back. I'm glad the process is quick once it gets going though.

To be honest, I'm a little annoyed that they replace the whole Cybook, not to mention that it's old hardware. It wouldn't be a big deal without DRM, but a new PID is certainly not a good thing if you've bought a bunch of books that you can no longer use once the device is "repaired."

Most of my books are from BoB, and I have one PID "slot" left, but I was hoping to save it for a next-generation reader (I imagine that we'll be seeing plenty of new and improved readers over the next couple years). It sucks to waste that last slot on a device I already own!

Anyways, thanks again for all the info. I'll post my experience next week when I hear from them (*crossed fingers*).
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:18 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Binzer, you should be able to replace the PID of the Gen3 if you need to with the new Gen3's PID. If you cannot figure out how, just email BoB and they can sort it for you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:56 AM   #4
mjdb
Kiwi Member
mjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-books

Device: NAEB Bookeen Cybook Gen3, eBookman
Quote:
Originally Posted by binzer View Post
Thanks for the info!

I emailed Bookeen on Thursday about the screen, but they didn't respond today so I suppose I'll have to wait until next week to hear back. I'm glad the process is quick once it gets going though. [snip]
If you don't get a reply, then all you can do is check your spam filters and try again. I note that I emailed support@bookeen.com
and the subject line of my post was
"request for repair price and RMA number" .

I assume that a sensible email filtering system, if they have one, should separate out posts referencing a RMA number from those with other issues.

Martin.
mjdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
binzer
Zealot

Thanks guys,

I assume that Bookeen is closed on the weekends, so I'll email again late Sunday night (their Monday morning) if I haven't heard back.

Meanwhile, I am going CRAZY. I was just near the end of a book when it broke, and I'm going away for two weeks on Monday (and after only several months of ownership, the thought of traveling without one is already agonizing).
Old 06-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Meanwhile, I am going CRAZY. I was just near the end of a book when it broke,
You should be able to finish the book using the mobipocket software (assuming you have a PC).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:47 AM   #7
binzer
Zealot

Oh I have been reading on my PC, but the majority of my reading is usually done at the beach, at a coffee shop, curled up with a blanket, or in bed, so it's not quite the same. I'm thankful for the software, but I love my Cybook far too much for a simple PC to fill the void in my heart :*(

In other news, I got engaged today, so I'm slightly less sad about my Cybook
Old 06-15-2008, 03:49 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Congratulations .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:07 AM   #9
minigrrl
minigrrl began at the beginning.

Device: eReader on many Palms, Treos & iPhone, Cybook Gen3 x2, Pocketbook 360
I emailed them about my broken screen on Friday evening (Friday morning their time) and haven't heard anything back yet. I'm hoping there will be an answer when I get home tonight.

Good to hear that they are quick to send the reader back.

I too was about 3/4 of the way through a really good book! I could read it on my Treo, but after having the reader, I don't think I could handle it!
minigrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:14 AM   #10
minigrrl

Thinking about it though, I probably won't hear anything until Tuesday morning! Doh!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:16 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why is that? Is there something special about Monday?
Old 06-16-2008, 03:17 AM   #12
minigrrl

BTW, binzer, I love your puppy! What is he/she? We have two 9 month old puppies - one is a cocker spaniel x poodle and the other is a cavalier x poodle (or a spoodle and a cavoodle as they call them here!)

And congratulations...
Old 06-16-2008, 03:21 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Oh I have been reading on my PC, but the majority of my reading is usually done at the beach, at a coffee shop, curled up with a blanket, or in bed, so it's not quite the same. I'm thankful for the software, but I love my Cybook far too much for a simple PC to fill the void in my heart :*(

In other news, I got engaged today, so I'm slightly less sad about my Cybook
I'd still be annoyed at the loss. Having the marriage ceremony, I know there will be plenty of time to sneak off and read.

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS! I remember when my wife said yes to me. It was a really wonderful day.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:34 AM   #14
minigrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is that? Is there something special about Monday?
Well, it's 17:32 Monday here now, but only early on Monday morning in France. So, I doubt I'll hear anything until I wake up tomorrow (Tuesday) morning!

Timezones, grrr... My husband's family all live in the UK and my family all live in Canada and it's all very confusing!!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:34 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Jon, "minigrrl" is in Australia. That means that she's essentially a day "ahead" of Europe, hence if Bookeen reply during the business day on Monday, she'll read it Tuesday morning her time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote