Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #16
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I would finally note that not all knowledge sources are available in ebook fashion (i.e., digitized in the broader sense, not just in relation to our readers) and for researchers -- historians, archaeologists, etc. -- there is no substitute for the original item. Consequently, knowing how to use pbooks is an important skill.
I'd have to say that when the information is available in digital format, though, it is a better research tool. I like to think that one day I will have a library of p-books and a corresponding, identical ebook library to match. Think about utlilizing something like Google Desktop to search every document on your computer (and/or network). You find anything from any book you own almost instantaneously. At the same time, I think you're right to say that knowing how to find your way through p-books is "an important skill." This is obviously true since so much has yet to be digitized. However, I don't think p-books make better reference material.

I, too, love the collectability of books, though. And in terms of monetary worth, a physical product will always be worth more. I think your kids will thank you in the future for teaching them to respect p-books. But don't go too hard on them. I spent much of high school reading tons of ebooks because I didn't have the means to get them any other way.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually, I'm going to insist my kids read the e-versions when they can get them. That will teach them the nuances of using electronic information and make them more effective citizens of the digital age. I think the ability to reference information efficiently in electronic form is going to be far more important for them than being comfortable with information in paper form.

And I'm not the kind of person that believes in collectors editions of anything, comes from growing up in a poor society I guess
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #18
jackbrown
Enthusiast
jackbrown began at the beginning.

As a libertarian, I don't agree with most public services, haha. As long as our tax dollars are paying for it...
Wait, libertarians don't believe in libraries?
[Deleting Ron Paul bookmarks]
jackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #19
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I figure that as far as fiction's concerned, Baen's got the price about right. A new e book is worth about the same as a paperback or a little less. Others may disagree-- but I find that I'll pay between 5-6 dollars for a novel or 3-4 dollars for a digest-length magazine. Once the price goes above that I start looking for the best deals on dead-tree.

I won't speak for others, but that's about what an e book is worth to me. I can't do hardcover prices-- even discount ones, an e book isn't worth it to me.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #20
snookums
Connoisseur
snookums doesn't littersnookums doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Books prices are controlled by release schedule as well as the cost of materials. That's why you have to wait around a couple of months to pay less for paperback. Most of us here probably feel that eBooks should be priced below paperbacks since there are no productions costs, but that's not the way the publisher looks at it. If you can get the eBook at the same time the hardback, the publisher probably feels that you should be paying almost as much as for the physical product. It's similar to the way that movie studios give an initial rate to primary theatres and a lower one in a few months to secondaries like Rialto's.
snookums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:20 AM   #21
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
The obvious compromise would then be to initially price the e-book somewhat below the hardcover, but to lower the price to somewhat below the paperback once that comes out. That way, e-book people who can't wait pay the premium to read it first, and everyone else can get it at the below-paperback price most people here, including me, feel is right.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
The obvious compromise would then be to initially price the e-book somewhat below the hardcover, but to lower the price to somewhat below the paperback once that comes out. That way, e-book people who can't wait pay the premium to read it first, and everyone else can get it at the below-paperback price most people here, including me, feel is right.
That's pretty much what Simon & Schuster does with their stuff. I find I can get most of their "hardcover" releases for $10-$12 or when it hits "paperback" I can get it for $4-$5.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote