Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 02:23 AM   #1
fyrogenesis
Undead
fyrogenesis began at the beginning.

Device: Omnia, Kindle 3, Dell Streak, Asus TF101, iPad 2 3g 64gb, Note
Is it wise to buy Gen3 now?

Hi

i have a few mobipocket ebooks at hand (read using omnia right now), so apparently a 'mobipocket certified' ereader with dictionary lookup function, would be appealing to me..

From the info gathered here, it seems that the gen3 is pretty ok, but i am very worried to get one since most people here claimed the device is very faulty, unstable, and lack of support..

irex illiad in other hand, is very expensive and too big for my taste.

i got another option though: dont bother with gen3, just strip the mobi-drm and then use them on other better device.. (been eyeing at the sony prs600 too)

fyrogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:47 AM   #2
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrogenesis View Post
Hi
i have a few mobipocket ebooks at hand (read using omnia right now), so apparently a 'mobipocket certified' ereader with dictionary lookup function, would be appealing to me..

From the info gathered here, it seems that the gen3 is pretty ok, but i am very worried to get one since most people here claimed the device is very faulty, unstable, and lack of support..

irex illiad in other hand, is very expensive and too big for my taste.

i got another option though: dont bother with gen3, just strip the mobi-drm and then use them on other better device.. (been eyeing at the sony prs600 too)

Well, I have Cybook Gen3 (not Opus) and for mobipocket books it's great. If you take care (like safely remove hardware) you'll have no problems.
Dictionary lookup was main thing when I was deciding on my ereader 2 years ago and it's ok. Not great, but ok. It's burried in the menu and your thumb will get sore if you often use it.
But. And a big but it is. Mobipocket format is sacked, more or less, for an epub. You'll have an 2 firmware options - mobipocket drm with dictionary and epub drm without one. The long awaited firmware update , will give you folders and epub option, among other things.
I cannot tell you anything about support since I had no problems, but from some posts on this forum I gather it's a hit and miss.
In your place, I would just strip drm and go epub way. There are couple of ereaders with dictionary lookup so you should be all set.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 03:10 AM   #3
fyrogenesis
Undead
fyrogenesis began at the beginning.

Device: Omnia, Kindle 3, Dell Streak, Asus TF101, iPad 2 3g 64gb, Note
thanks for the reply! (+karma)

hmm... i think i should resort to sony prs600 then.. bt now another thing worries me: its glare issue.

is there exists a good ereader without one big weakness? (just asking.. )
- kindle 2; no pdf lookup
- sony; glare
- gen3; bugs
- nook; slow
- pocketbook; no american oxford lookup (my fav dictionary!)

fyrogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:20 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, I've been using a lot Gen3 for six months, more or less. It freezes from time to time but I've always reset it with the back hole, not a big problem. I can't tell you about support, I hadn't needed it but infos are not very good. I'm very happy with my cybook (small, only one button - a plus for me although some people doesn't like it).

By the way, at PRS-600 ePub looks awful for me (right side ragged), it's a NEVER till there's a firmware INSTALLED on the device I buy (I don't play with FW, I think it's a manufacturer's work).

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 12-22-2009 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:25 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, my advise would be convert whatever mobi you have to ePub, and get a reader that reads ePub.
If you really want to go mobi, wait for the update, then get a gold edition, as it have more ram and processor than the others gen3.
The ePub firmware is unstable, the gen3 itself is quite ok. And bug will be fixed. Plus, my opus certainly works fine enough.
And i would go for the opus rather than gen3, unless you fell you need a 6".

Quote:
I can't tell you about support, I hadn't needed it but infos are not very good.
Quitte a few peaple needed bookeen support and where quite happy with it. Me included.
I've dealt with a few companies support, the two times i was really satisfied where with amazon, and bookeen.

I agree with you on the 600, no justifiy ??
As dictionary are a function that seams important to you, if you are to go ePub , I would advice pocketbook over sony or bookeen. (Not sure the update for ePub DRM on pocketbook is published yet, seamed to be well on it's way anyway).

Last edited by EowynCarter; 12-22-2009 at 03:50 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 04:20 AM   #6
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
thanks for the reply! (+karma)

hmm... i think i should resort to sony prs600 then.. bt now another thing worries me: its glare issue.

is there exists a good ereader without one big weakness? (just asking.. )
- kindle 2; no pdf lookup
- sony; glare
- gen3; bugs
- nook; slow
- pocketbook; no american oxford lookup (my fav dictionary!)
Thank you for the karma. And no, there is no super-ereader out there. If you want dictionary it's quite frustrating.
So far you have a couple of options:
Bookeen - Cybook with mobi firmware. The best atm but firmware is dead end and so is format. Pity. Lots of commercial dictionaries available.
Sony - Looks interesting but I see no options of adding dictionaries. And it's English only.
Kindle - No adding dictionaries. English only.
Pocketbook - dic format (stardict ?). No commercial dictonaries available. You can make your own but you'll need a good source. Not sure if you can translate mobi ones into this format. If it's possible it could be great.
If you have anything to add to this feel free to comment...

DrS
Old 12-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
As far as I know, when firmware update comes out, it will be two versions - one with Mobipocket support and dictionaries, and the other with epub and no dictionaries. Both versions will have folder support. So you'll still have a choice.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
As far as I know, when firmware update comes out, it will be two versions - one with Mobipocket support and dictionaries, and the other with epub and no dictionaries. Both versions will have folder support. So you'll still have a choice.
Exactly.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I'm very happy with my Gen3. It does hang very occasionally, but only on boot, and always resets (though I forget, from time to time, about the fact that resetting doesn't blank the screen as it does with "ordinary" devices). Otherwise I've had no problems (and never felt the need or desire to update the firmware). I am very gentle with it, but it seems to have survived fine.

If I was looking to get one now, I'd seriously consider something like the Opus (or with ePub support). That doesn't have mobipocket support, so if you were happy format shifting (as EowynCarter suggested), that might be worth considering. I saw one at a meetup, and it was very pleasant, far more so than I'd have thought given the slightly smaller screen.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #10
emaxt6
emaxt6 began at the beginning.

Device: gen3
Quote:
Hi

I own Cybook gen 3, faulty software but sincerely it works for the very light use that I do... but I think that now it is an old device and disadvantages outweigh benefits in today market. Add also non existent support and communication skills by Bookeen.

I will buy a different device today, like sonies or I'll wait for devices arising in 2010.

bye
emaxt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
Kindle - No adding dictionaries. English only.
DrS
None of these things are true. You can add Mobi dictionaries (DRM-free or DRM-adapted) and you can modify those in other language.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
I'm very happy with my Gen3. It does hang very occasionally, but only on boot, and always resets (though I forget, from time to time, about the fact that resetting doesn't blank the screen as it does with "ordinary" devices). Otherwise I've had no problems (and never felt the need or desire to update the firmware). I am very gentle with it, but it seems to have survived fine.
I must say I'm not so gentle. It has fallen to the floor a couple of times (with deluxe cover) and is still with me
Old 12-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #13
Vesper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
None of these things are true. You can add Mobi dictionaries (DRM-free or DRM-adapted) and you can modify those in other language.
Ah. Sorry. What DRM-adapted means?

DrS
Old 12-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #14
KLausPetersen
Connoisseur
KLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Is it wise to buy Gen3 now?

Lets see ....

If you have time to spare but no money to burn, you should at least wait until the new firmware is released and then some more time to be absolutely sure, that there are no bugs remaining in the firmware, because I really wouldn't expect them to be fixed anytime soon.

And be sure you have enough time to spare, because it seems that hell could easily freeze over before the new firmware is released.
KLausPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
I can't speak about the lack of support, I've never needed it.
My Gen 3 works quite fine.
It hangs at startup once every 2 or 3 weeks but a quick reset solves it.

I don't feel like "most people" have said that it's "very faulty, unstable".
As usual, people complain loudly if they have a problem but few people say when they are happy with their device.

I'm not saying that the Gen3 is faultless, but it works for a lot of people, too.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote