Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
00hkelly
00hkelly began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
How to read blogs on Sony Reader?

I have been searching and trying my best to figure this out, but I must be missing something, somewhere.

Is there an easy way to transfer and read blogs on the PRS-505?

The blogs that I read on a regular basis are:

The Paramedic's Diary
Random Acts of Reality
and
http://basicsdoc.blogspot.com/

I have tried using the feed reader in Calibre, but unfortunately the one's hosted on blogspot don't seem to offer RSS and Random Reality just doesn't seem to work.

I have looked through the Calibre online help and guides, but I just don't understand code. I have also been trying other software and google, I downloaded Feed Owl (I think)[EDIT: RSS Owl] and it worked beautifully, but then I could find no way to export it to a readable format.

Any help anybody could give to me would be very much appreciated. It would be so much better to be able to read these blogs on my reader than my iphone when stuck on the train.

[EDIT: Oh, and I'm on a mac if that makes any difference? But have windows 7 in parallels]

Last edited by 00hkelly; 05-15-2009 at 02:36 PM.
00hkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I'm also interested in this. I haven't yet tried to read blogs on my Reader because it's seemed like too much hassle to set up; I've started looking at Feedbooks' "create a newspaper" thing, but it's rather intimidating.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
ccadi
Alive'n'Reading
ccadi is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Libra 2, Paperwhite 5 SE
The Firefox addon in the url below will allow you to grab blog off page and convert for use on your 505

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24403

Tested on first two blogs, converts and puts them into calibre ready to send to device

Last edited by ccadi; 05-15-2009 at 03:45 PM.
ccadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
00hkelly

Thanks for the link ccadi. I am clearly doing something wrong though. I have tried it in OS X and it does not work. And I have tried it in a clean install of Windows 7 (only things installed are Calibre, Firefox and that extension, and it doesn't work in that either.
I guess i'll keep fiddling, it has to work eventually...right?haha
Old 05-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
00hkelly

I now have it working. I had to completely rewrite the paths in the plugin to work with the mac.

I still don't have the path to calibredb which is currently /usr/bin/calibredb

to get the app to work I had to wrewrite usr/bin/web2lrf to /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/loaders/web2lrf

and similarly rewrite the path to Calibre and the output directory.

If anybody does have any idea where that calibredb file is, it would be good for me to link to it i guess (although all is working fine at the moment).
Thanks ccadi for the link to this.
Advert