Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #46
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hm. It seems I can just fix the line height at 15 pt in Calibre, and that is a width that works well for me. It does scale with font size and from my initial tests there doesn't seem to be any overlap of lines. It does mean that I can never adjust line height, but ...

Any comments as to why this would be a bad idea?
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #47
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
It would only be a bad idea for you if you have multiple devices to read from like some of us do, or if you regularly share your books with family. Depending on their devices, they may not like the line spacing.

If it's just you and the one reader, there shouldn't be any negative issues at all. Well, until you eventually need to upgrade your reader to another that will handle that line-height differently. You might then have to go back and remove all the line-heights you entered in those books.

For that reason, I'm generally just putting up with the too-wide spacing for now on the Kobo, still hoping they'll change the lowest setting at some point and make us all happy.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #48
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Oh no! All my files are now functioning kepubs, but with most of them, if I go to the home screen, my position in the chapter is reset, and when I open the book again, I am at the start of the chapter! Is this a known issue?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #49
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Known issue. The Kobo spans aren't being added properly. I'm working on it, but unfortunately it's annoying. The "workaround" is to not close the book and not let the reader power off (sleep is fine).
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #50
Joques
Addict

Ripplinger, yes that makes sense. I am the only one who reads my books, so I'll just force the line height with the most egregious offenders, like the Lovecraft omnibus.

Jgougen, thank you for the info. I'll use the dog-ears function in the meantime :-)
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #51
Joques
Addict

Oh no! Dog-ears still kicked me back to the start of the chapter! Oh well, no biggie - I think I can refrain from switching books while in the middle of a chapter. Still, eagerly awaiting the next update to the plugin

Thank you for all your work, just sent you a token donation with PayPal.

Last edited by Joques; 05-15-2013 at 08:27 AM.