Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #421
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I just completed my 2013 reading goal of 22,500 pages! I have also only read 15% fantasy books this year which was one of my sub-goals.

This goal was more than I read the entire first year I had my Kindle and was nearly what I read all of last year too, so I thought this goal would take me through November at least. I will need to re-evaluate my page goal for next year while I come up with some other secondary goals.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #422
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I've read 99 books so far, on track to meet my goal of 120 books. I got behind for awhile when I read nothing for two months - eye surgeries. Last year I read 190 books, but this year I made hiking/walking a higher priority to put some balance back in my life and read mostly in the evening now. When you love to read it can easily take over your life unless you also set other goals.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #423
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I just completed my 2013 reading goal of 22,500 pages! I have also only read 15% fantasy books this year which was one of my sub-goals.

This goal was more than I read the entire first year I had my Kindle and was nearly what I read all of last year too, so I thought this goal would take me through November at least. I will need to re-evaluate my page goal for next year while I come up with some other secondary goals.
Congrats!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #424
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
There's plenty of time left to correct that 15%.

Congratulations on 22,500!
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #425
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
There's plenty of time left to correct that 15%.

Congratulations on 22,500!
Thank you!

Re: 15%, it is still very tempting to read more fantasy since it is what I am used to and grew up with, but my overall goal is to get more well-rounded with my reading. Prior to this year I had read about 50% fantasy with everything else accounting for the remainder. My goal for next year will be to get below 33% for Fantasy and then maintain that from then on out, so I will be allowing myself somewhat more as I move forward. This year has opened my eyes to several other genres that I really enjoy, so I find I am not missing fantasy too much.

I have a similar goal for re-reading books which before I got my Kindle I did a lot of. This year was to get below 33% re-reads, next year will be to get below 25% overall. Last year I read the entire Wheel of Time series which didn't help either of these two goals.
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #426
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
99. Along Came a Spider; James Patterson

That is what I have read so far. 1 more to go to meet my Goodreads challenge. Maybe I should increase it?
I had my 2012 goal set at 120, then blew past it with over 150. This year, I set my 2013 goal at 150, and currently I'm at 124 - which is 8 books ahead. I'll probably stick with 150 in 2014, too; I had some graphic novels and electronic short fiction in my count this year and last, which tends to inflate the count a bit. (I was running a book or so behind for much of this year, then zipped through half a dozen e-shorts in one day just before September...)
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #427
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:

15% in books? How does it work out in pages? I'm currently reading my second longest book of the year, at a little under 800 pages. It's fantasy. The longest book, just over 900 pages, was also fantasy. I wonder how far down the list I'd have to go to find the first non-fantasy?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #428
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Increasing my fantasy reading is going to cause me to choke on my 150 book challenge this year! Most of the books are virtual doorstops. But it is worth it, the stories are great.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #429
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
15% in books? How does it work out in pages? I'm currently reading my second longest book of the year, at a little under 800 pages. It's fantasy. The longest book, just over 900 pages, was also fantasy. I wonder how far down the list I'd have to go to find the first non-fantasy?
That is in pages. It looks better when I look at books, but since my goals are all page based, I choose to do it that way. Fantasy is 10% in books this year, 19% in books overall. Fantasy books average 626 pages for me, the next highest is political thrillers (Clancy, etc) at 454 pages. Nothing else is above 300 pages.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #430
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I finished book numbre 60 for this year. Woohoo!
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #431
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I've surpassed my reading challenge already, but am not sure if I will get beyond 110 books, the number I was thinking of raising it too, as I have loads of college reading. I do break up quite early for Christmas, so I may be able to get those books in before the year is out.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #432
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Currently I'm a little over 2300 pages of my 4000 page goal for July-December, so I still have a little under 1700 pages left to go, which is a little behind schedule but doable. Plus, I still have to read Ulysses as part of my goal. It was also part of my goal last year, and last year I also left it till the end of the year, and began it (along with a companion annotations book) but didn't finish, so it will be interesting to see if I can accomplish it this year. I just think to myself - I can do it!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #433
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
I finally met my goal yesterday and have exceeded it by 1 as of this morning.....though my half year goal (of 12) seems to pale in comparison to most of the rest of you, I'm really proud of myself;-)
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #434
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I'm right on track, with 23 books read and somewhere over 10500 pages. I suppose I will be over 13000 by the end of the year.

One thing is sure, for those who read fantasy it's best to count by page numbers instead of individual books, because an average fantasy book is over 600 pages.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:14 AM   #435
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
I finally met my goal yesterday and have exceeded it by 1 as of this morning.....though my half year goal (of 12) seems to pale in comparison to most of the rest of you, I'm really proud of myself;-)
Congratulations! It's the enjoyment of reading that counts, not the number of books one gets through.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote