Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question Looking for video + Sigil vs Jutoh

Hello

Could you give me tips for a good video on how to use Sigil? I see a number of them on YouTube but get confused about where to start.

Also, have any of you used both Sigil and Jutoh? How do they compare and what are the major / minor differences between them?

thanks.
GraciousMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousMe View Post
Hello

Could you give me tips for a good video on how to use Sigil? I see a number of them on YouTube but get confused about where to start.

Also, have any of you used both Sigil and Jutoh? How do they compare and what are the major / minor differences between them?

thanks.
I've used both, mostly testing on Jutoh, which I licensed to try, but it's not my tool of choice. I have used it to make a book or two, to give it a fair shake, but my clear preference is Sigil.

AFAIK, there is no video on Sigil.

Jutoh is very good if you are not accustomed to html, don't understand CSS and don't want to learn; you simply want to make eBooks and sell them. Sigil is a tool for more sophisticated geeks who do understand html, xhtml, and CSS, and want to have the fine-tuned control that you get by working directly in the code.

Honestly, there's no "right" or "wrong" to it; it's a matter of background, experience, goals and personal preference. If you have a really solid understanding of Word's built-in Styles functions, then Jutoh will be a picnic for you; if you don't, you'll suffer with Jutoh, but I don't think you'd be happier with Sigil, either. Neither works by "magic;" you have to have some frame of reference to really make either of them work. For Jutoh, as I said, a solid grasp of how Word's built-in styles actually work, and can be manipulated and used over and over, will make that learning curve super-easy. For Sigil, if you don't know html & css at all, it's a tough place to start.

Hope that helps.
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks.

Sounds like I could begin with Jutoh and when I get better at it switch to Sigil.

Just have to read up on the Word built-in styles.

Last edited by GraciousMe; 05-10-2012 at 05:48 AM.
GraciousMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks.

Sounds like I could begin with Jutoh and when I get better at it switch to Sigil.

Just have to read up on the Word built-in styles.
Hitch is the professional book maker.

If I had to choose between 2 programs to learn a new way to code, I would recommend putting the effort in learning CSS and HTML.

I listed CSS first ONLY because, if you start with CSS type coding, you have a single place to modify if you want to change styling.
If you start with HTML with inline styling, you have to change EVERY place you used it (just like in Word).

CSS only gets complicated if you get fancy

Many of my older (Webscriptions.net versions) Baen used about 20 lines in their CSS. KISS: Body, Paragraph, (optional)Initial Paragraph styles

Last edited by theducks; 05-10-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: clarify
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you start with HTML with inline styling, you have to change EVERY place you used it (just like in Word).
Definitly wrong.
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by huebi View Post
Definitly wrong.
(I don't use MS Word)
If I set a word to bold, then set another word to bold further on in Open Office, Wordperfect or other Word processors,
and later decide I want all Bold words to be italic, I have to change each and every one.

With the stylesheet, I change font-weight: bold; to font-style: italic; for the assigned style
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Take a look at my ePub tutorial (see my signature and go for version 2). I think you may find it useful. No knowledge of HTML, CSS or Sigil is required.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
(I don't use MS Word)
If I set a word to bold, then set another word to bold further on in Open Office, Wordperfect or other Word processors,
and later decide I want all Bold words to be italic, I have to change each and every one.

With the stylesheet, I change font-weight: bold; to font-style: italic; for the assigned style
Actually, in Word, I think you can search for a style and replace it with a different style.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by huebi View Post
Definitly wrong.
Yes, you can search/replace if it's all the same. But still, it's messy and looks bad. Plus, given the way ADE does page numbers, you kind of mess that up somewhat doing inline styles. The idea is minimalist code with all the classes in a style sheet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote