Notices

Old 09-18-2011, 03:32 AM   #1
schuster
Zealot
schuster doesn't litterschuster doesn't litter

Device: prs-650 / prs-350 /kindle 3
lost network since update

hy there,
today i would make an update from 0.8.5 to the last one 0.8.19.
but there, it is not possible to get an internet connection.

i have made a downgrade to the last version there the internet seems to work.
it is version 0.8.12

at version 0.8.13 it got this error at fetching news:

Code:
Failed feed: Aachen
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\web\feeds\news.py", line 1286, in parse_feeds
  File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 203, in open
  File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 230, in _mech_open
  File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_opener.py", line 193, in open
  File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 344, in _open
  File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 332, in _call_chain
  File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1142, in http_open
  File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1118, in do_open
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 10060] Ein Verbindungsversuch ist fehlgeschlagen, da die Gegenstelle nach einer bestimmten Zeitspanne nicht richtig reagiert hat, oder die hergestellte Verbindung war fehlerhaft, da der verbundene Host nicht reagiert hat>
fetch metadata freez
update plug-ins says: Unable to reach the Mobileread plugins forum index page.

looking at the proxy settings shows me the correct adresses and port.

any hints?

greetz olaf
schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:43 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre does not touch your network, so the problem will be external to Calibre.

Sounds to me as if you have firewall software running that has blocked Calibre's access to the Internet. Many firewalls's treat new releases of software as if they are new program's so maybe you have to do something to your firewall settings to tell it about the new Calibre release?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 04:12 AM   #3
JayKindle
Connoisseur
JayKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8
Let me see if I understand your problem?

You can't fetch your News articles with the new update of Calibre? If yes, I wonder if you are also going through the same issue as I am. Click here to read my topic: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150215
JayKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKindle View Post
Let me see if I understand your problem?

You can't fetch your News articles with the new update of Calibre? If yes, I wonder if you are also going through the same issue as I am. Click here to read my topic: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150215
This poster actually got an error, did you get an error? If you did you didn't mention it.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #5
JayKindle
Connoisseur
JayKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8
No, that's the thing. I did not get an error. I am pretty sure that at 6am on Friday, if there would've been an error popup, it would've stayed up on my machine and I would have spot it--unless the popup only stays on for a few seconds?

But since I was able to manually run the News without an issue, I am pretty sure (in my case) it was able to connect to the internet.

What I do think it relates to is he has a problem fetching his news with the new update version that was released this Friday. Which I had an issue also with the auto schedule feature with the news. And I do provide info on how I got my machine back up and running.

I wonder at this point if it would be wise for this user to go into his Application folder and delete anything there (of course after a full uninstall first). Just keep the custom_recipes folder--that would be okay to keep in there. This way when he makes a fresh install of a prior version, he can make it work again--like I did.

Last edited by JayKindle; 09-18-2011 at 04:39 AM.
JayKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
schuster
Zealot

hi all,
version 0.8.12 will do the job. all other updates faild to do an internet connection.
it is NOT possible that firewall is blocking anything. i have no firewall on my pc's. thats the job of my server's.

ahhhh got it.
this is it :

Code:
18.Sep.11
16:37:56 	ulogd
2091 	fw: deny service http IN=eth0 OUT=eth1 MAC=00:08:02:7d:0f:9a:20:cf:30:e1:84:08:08:00 SRC=192.168.9.132 DST=209.20.65.15 LEN=52 TOS=00 PREC=0x00 TTL=127 ID=2933 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=52250 DPT=80 SEQ=2349546987 ACK=0 WINDOW=8192 SYN URGP=0
now i can see that the port isn't set right. in my network the internet traffic is only allowed at port 3128. calibre is using port 80 in the newer versions.

0.8.12 is the last version there set the port right.
the proxy-settings in calibre show me the right values.

and now???

greetz olaf
Old 09-19-2011, 02:04 AM   #7
schuster
Zealot

now i have checked all settings stations/servers.
there is nothing that blocked the traffic from calibre.
the proxy settings that calibre show's me, are right.
have installed a packed sniffer that shows me that the traffic is on the wrong port.

any idea to solve this problem??
i wan't use calibre!

please help

olaf
Old 09-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
schuster
Zealot

o.k.

version 0.8.19 is doing the job now.

i have read the revision history since 0.8.12 and find a hint.

in revision 10028 is a change in the settings of "Support https proxies".

looking at my stations shows me that https is configured well to use my proxy.
and the setting of "use same proxy for all protocolls" was marked.

unmarked the "use same proxy for all protocolls" and delete the settings for HTTPS protocol had solve the problem.

i believe this is not the correct handling, because calibre use the wrong settings if i use https-proxy within windows.

olaf
Old 09-20-2011, 02:12 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
This is really annoying... Even removing that HTTPS line doesn't work. Anything beyond build 12 simply refused to connect to the internet.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #10
schuster
Zealot

hi sweetpea,
have you unmarked the "use same proxy for all protocolls" also?

i have write this prob to the bugtracker, but kovid means this is a problem of wrong entrys in the windows proxy sys.

the problem is in calibre i think.
why all versions work up to 0.8.12 and the rest did not?
same entries same systems and the only thing that has changed is:
revision 10028 change in the settings of "Support https proxies".

but this is my meaning only.

I do not know why you can not enter the proxy-data directly into calibre.
binding to system proxy settings is not useful in any way (what i can see).

without https proxy settings and unmarked "use same proxy for all protocolls"
the server logs shows me that calibre use the right ports and all is fine.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuster View Post
hi sweetpea,
have you unmarked the "use same proxy for all protocolls" also?
Yes, otherwise I couldn't clear that line..

Quote:
i have write this prob to the bugtracker, but kovid means this is a problem of wrong entrys in the windows proxy sys.

the problem is in calibre i think.
why all versions work up to 0.8.12 and the rest did not?
same entries same systems and the only thing that has changed is:
revision 10028 change in the settings of "Support https proxies".

but this is my meaning only.

I do not know why you can not enter the proxy-data directly into calibre.
binding to system proxy settings is not useful in any way (what i can see).

without https proxy settings and unmarked "use same proxy for all protocolls"
the server logs shows me that calibre use the right ports and all is fine.
My FF is using the system proxy as well and works flawlessly. And it's a great advantage if you don't have to update your proxy everywhere if you're on a laptop... At work, I'm behind a proxy, at home I'm not. If I couldn't use the system proxy, I'd have to update it on a lot of locations!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #12
schuster
Zealot

ahh o.k. you are laptop user, that is a different thing.
i don't like laptops so all my computers are wired

but it should be my choice to set it by hand or take the os-system-settings.

i belief it is a prob with the revision in 0.8.13 that the proxy-settings for https are not useful.

server logs don't lie , calibre call the wrong ports if proxy-entries for https exist.

possible that it only affects certain system-combinations. in that case all my systems are affected.

should it be random?

edit: what os in your case

Last edited by schuster; 09-20-2011 at 07:28 AM. Reason: question
Old 09-20-2011, 07:37 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
server logs don't lie , calibre call the wrong ports if proxy-entries for https exist.
What's your port for HTTP?
I presume those logs you have are on the proxy server, which I don't have access to at work
Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #14
schuster
Zealot

http port is 3128