Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Another category of "popular" ebooks - psychology??

I guess this falls more in the commentary or even discussion vein. But in searching for books on a particular psychological issue I seemed to find that many if not most of them were available on Kindle (if not ebooks in general).

This to me suggested that perhaps it fits into a similar mold as romance/erotic reading as being something people want to read, but are not comfortable with sharing that information in public.

Any thoughts on this? Maybe it is well known and I'm just catching up?

P.S. if this is in the wrong section, maybe a moderator can move it to a more appropriate place.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you referring to "self-help" type books, Kenny?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you referring to "self-help" type books, Kenny?

I guess they might be classified that way. In particular things like:

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Fami...5016881&sr=1-3

There seem to be a whole bunch of them and all available as kindle books.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting - I haven't come across that type of book before! I do understand what you mean when you say that you wouldn't necessarily want other people to know that you're reading it.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can see why a person might not want to let others know they were reading books like that; it can be a very personal subject dealing with problem personal or family issues. So yes, there might be something to those being popular on Kindle, allowing some privacy and anonymity to them. There may also be an issue with people being uncomfortable buying such books in public stores, leading in turn to those stores cutting back on offering books they expect no one will come in to buy...

OTOH, it could simply be a case of such books being easier to find in the Kindle store than in your local store, being that they tend to target small demographics, something the public stores are not catering well to these days.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
This could be an interesting advantage of eBooks that has not been mentioned before that I am aware of. Reading in public with privacy.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
This could be an interesting advantage of eBooks that has not been mentioned before that I am aware of. Reading in public with privacy.

Dale
It came up in another thread here wrt romances/erotic reading.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It came up in another thread here wrt romances/erotic reading.
I guess I missed it. There are some many threads and duplicate threads going on it is hard to keep up. It is an interesting point however.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I guess I missed it. There are some many threads and duplicate threads going on it is hard to keep up. It is an interesting point however.

Dale

No need to tell me about that! I'm relatively new here and in a constant state of confusion, sometimes I'm tempted to use that as my mailing address.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It was raised previously with reference to the "bodice-ripper" style of romances, which often have rather "garish" covers that one might prefer not to be noticed on public transport, etc. It's definitely a significant benefit of e-Books!
Old 10-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The effect might not be limited to erotica and psych books, either. I'd bet Mein Kampf would see a resurgence, as well as other socially or politically unpopular titles...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote