Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-26-2006, 03:01 AM   #1
lhl
Webmonkey
lhl began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Are new units still shipping with firmware 2.4? When do updates run?

I'm catching up on the hacks so far (good work!) and am looking forward to getting my iLiad soon (I just ordered). I'm looking to writing some apps for the iLiad, but with no SDK in the near future it looks like keeping root on the box is the order of the day.

To that end, it'd be much easier if there was no root pwd (at least not before I get comfy). Are the latest units still shipping w/ 2.4 firmware? Does the iRex automatically try to connect to wifi and update on bootup?

Also, are all applications currently running as root? (if so, I'm not as concerned)
lhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:36 AM   #2
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
they are.

and we got a root shell using netcat.

that means the 2.5 update should not cause any headache for you.

And the iliad doesn't try to connect automatically. If you don't press the connect button, nothing happens. (but that means you can't use the shiny new features of future releases)
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:42 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
and we got a root shell using netcat.
How? I dont get anything to run in 2.5b.

@Dher: Any word from iRex, how they are going to handle your misfortune?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:54 AM   #4
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
hm? what did kristoffer do? did he use the 2.5a as he succeeded with the netcat hack?

concerning iRex:
not yet. at least i've got an official ticket number.
but without much opportunity to play with it for the next week, i'll just wait for now.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:04 AM   #5
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
kristoffer tells he used 2.5a and then reflashed after the email and tested again so he should have tested also against 2.5b. Yep, with the netcat hack.

Can some other user try? Because I am stuck in 2.4 if I can not see how to cross the river. If the hack still works, we can launch a terminal and type with the virtual keyboard, I have already tested it here.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:05 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
hm? what did kristoffer do? did he use the 2.5a as he succeeded with the netcat hack?
i suppose so. If not, he better tell us how he did it
Old 07-26-2006, 04:09 AM   #7
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Can you check /etc/er_version and /etc/er_version_commercial ?
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:14 AM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac

/etc/er_version: 2501
/etc/er_version_commercial:2.5
Old 07-26-2006, 01:43 PM   #9
lhl
Webmonkey
lhl began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
DHer: Can you elaborate on the netcat hack. Is there a thread on that I missed? What's the standard way that people are using for arbitrary code execution?
lhl is offline   Reply With Quote