Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
momtodogs
Lovin' the e-life!!!
momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini
Question New to Android devices. Help please!

I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" 16GB Tablet. I've never used an Android device, or a smart phone. I bought this as a lighter-weight alternative to getting a laptop or notebook computer for traveling.

I have been using a Sony Reader PRS-505 for several years, and love it; however, last night I dropped it at the mall and now the screen is broken . I was in the middle of a good book, and need help to get back to reading, fast.

I normally use Calibre to organize my books in my home computer, and upload them to a SD card to use in my Sony. Since my new tablet has a micro SD slot, I hope to do the same with my new tablet.

1. What do you recommend I use as a reader app for my Samsung?
2. What e-book format(s) are the best for Android apps? Most of my books are in .lrf, .epub, .lit, .pdf, .rtf, and .txt formats.
3. Someone told me there is a Calibre app for Android. Can that be used as a reader app? I LOVE my Calibre program for my computer.
4. There is a Kindle icon pre-loaded on my tablet. Would that be a reader app? If so, what formats are supported?
5. Am I forgetting any important questions I will need answers to?

If there is a specific thread/topic for my device, please re-direct me.

As an aside, are there any general tutorial sites, to help a novice get familiar with her new Android tablet? As always, I am grateful for your help and advice.
momtodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtodogs View Post
1. What do you recommend I use as a reader app for my Samsung?
Mantano Premium and Moon+ Pro are popular with a lot of folks around here. Other popular ones are Aldiko, FB Reader and Coolreader, along with various store apps and the OverDrive app if your local library happens to offer ebooks through them.

Quote:
2. What e-book format(s) are the best for Android apps? Most of my books are in .lrf, .epub, .lit, .pdf, .rtf, and .txt formats.
I think ePub is probably the most popular. PDF works pretty well on tablets and RTF & TXT shouldn't be a big problem. Can't think of anything that supports lrf or lit, but Calibre can convert those.

Quote:
3. Someone told me there is a Calibre app for Android. Can that be used as a reader app? I LOVE my Calibre program for my computer.
Not a reader app. Calibre Companion acts as a great way to browse/store books and is a great way to transfer stuff wirelessly.

Quote:
4. There is a Kindle icon pre-loaded on my tablet. Would that be a reader app? If so, what formats are supported?
It supports AZW/Mobi format and AZW3/KF8 (and a few other Amazon formats).

Quote:
As an aside, are there any general tutorial sites, to help a novice get familiar with her new Android tablet? As always, I am grateful for your help and advice.
I'd checkout some videos on YouTube.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
I use all the eReader apps that AnemicOak mentioned
My favourite at the moment for ePub formated eBooks is Mantano Premium

I like the page turn animation availble with some eReader apps
Do a search in the forum for various eReader apps to find out what they do and what other members think of them or just Google !
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
There's also the big thread of reading apps here, which might be of use...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70921
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:47 PM   #5
momtodogs
Lovin' the e-life!!!
momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you! Thank you!

To Anemic Oak and Quelch....

I have downloaded Coolreader to start with, and have reformatted the book I was reading to ePub, and am a happy little reader again.

I even ventured onto an app site, and downloaded a couple of free games, getting my toes wet (so to speak.) I think I will take your advice and explore YouTube for some tutorials and tips.

I am very grateful for your extremely quick responses to my call for help. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions, soon.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
barba
Enthusiast
barba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite 1 and Nook HD+ rooted
Reader App

Hi momtodogs,

I have all the eReader apps that AnemicOak mentionedand I only use Moon Reader because is the most complete of all.
barba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:09 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by barba View Post
Hi momtodogs,

I have all the eReader apps that AnemicOak mentionedand I only use Moon Reader because is the most complete of all.
My experience is that Moonreader does NOT honour the author's stylesheets; it imposes a stylesheet of its own.

I tested Moonreader on a complex ePub ebook including (amongst other things) long line poetry. The ebook worked perfectly well on my Sony and Kobo, my iPad using iBooks and Marvin, and with Montano on my Nexus 7. It was a dog's breakfast with Moonreader.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #8
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
I've used a Samsung tablet for well over a year and it works great.
I prefer Mantano Premium but have used most other reader apps with no problem.
I wonder why you put the book on an SD card then plug the card into the reader. I plug my tablet into my laptop, which holds my Calibre library and Calibre recognizes it without a problem and shows the books loaded into my reader on the main memory and SD card. This is a much easier, imo, to manage the library on your reader.

Sorry you lost your Sony reader. Hope you enjoy your new tablet. I much prefer the Samsung reader...just saw Samsungs 7" reader with Jelly Bean on sale at Best Buy for $139...nearly bought it but much prefer my 5" reader.

Good luck and keep us informed about your adventures with your new reader.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:11 AM   #9
momtodogs
Lovin' the e-life!!!

Red face Kai....because I'm more than a bit OCD.....

Quote:
I wonder why you put the book on an SD card then plug the card into the reader.
I have back-ups of back-ups of back-ups. I'm terrified of losing my precious library (which is growing to be considerable in size/quantity.) I have favorite authors who have written 100+ books, and find it easy to pop-in 'their' card (since low memory cards are so cheap), to revisit a series. I also have cards for certain genre, etc.

While I like the convenience of e-reading, I still like to see "books" on my library shelves. I get those small decorator "book" boxes, and can quite literally keep a thousand books in the space of a small book on my shelf.

I actually use the same practice when backing up important files, photos, music, etc. And, yes, I back up to the 'cloud' also. I'd seek help, but I'd probably need to find a back-up for my support group. LOL!!!

I have been enjoying the versatility of my new Samsung tablet; however, I lucked out and got a used replacement for my Sony PRS-505 for only $30, so now I have a back-up reader. as well. Go figure!

Last edited by momtodogs; 01-24-2014 at 01:15 AM. Reason: add comment

Tags
calibre, galaxy, samsung, tab 2, tablet