Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #751
freedumb2000
freedumb2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I've come across this font which is nice, like most though could do with being thicker on the PW (I'm using their regular version,not the light one obviously as this would be invisible on the PW I think!) but even as it is I do use it quite a lot. Unfortunately the licence terms don't allow for much, so I can't ask a kind soul with the right software to fatten it up for me but I thought maybe others might like it
Aller, fattened up bit. Quite a nice Sans serif on the PW!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aller-Mod.png
Views:	719
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	102829

Last edited by freedumb2000; 03-13-2013 at 08:04 AM.
freedumb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #752
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
An off-topic question. How to use FontForge / Windows for the simple editing operations demonstrated on this topic? I found out that the Windows .7z archive on FontForge website is quite stable on my Windows setup.

Last edited by hfpop; 03-17-2013 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Correcting spelling error.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #753
kindleuzer
Enthusiast
kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: PW, K3 Kbd
Just installed the Charis SIL on my PW. It's beautiful - best font I've tried by far. Many thanks to JSWolf for this one, it's a keeper.

One question: why does adding Charis also add all those other fonts to the list (and apparently to the Kindle)? Are they encoded into Charis somehow? Is there any way to remove them from the list while keeping Charis? (I guess that's more than one question, lol.) Apologies if that's been answered in the thread, I haven't had a chance to go through and read it all yet.

>Edit: Just tried the Charis SIL Modified larger. *This* one is definitely the best.

Renders beautifully for me at second from the left Aa, whereas regular Charis was a tad too small at 2nd and too big at 3rd. Really nice weight and balance to the font. I like Palatino, but it was a bit too light. The larger Charis is just perfect on the PW, even nicer than the classic Baskerville.

Last edited by kindleuzer; 03-21-2013 at 01:06 AM.
kindleuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #754
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw-uzer View Post
Just installed the Charis SIL on my PW. It's beautiful - best font I've tried by far. Many thanks to JSWolf for this one, it's a keeper.

One question: why does adding Charis also add all those other fonts to the list (and apparently to the Kindle)? Are they encoded into Charis somehow? Is there any way to remove them from the list while keeping Charis? (I guess that's more than one question, lol.) Apologies if that's been answered in the thread, I haven't had a chance to go through and read it all yet.

>Edit: Just tried the Charis SIL Modified larger. *This* one is definitely the best.

Renders beautifully for me at second from the left Aa, whereas regular Charis was a tad too small at 2nd and too big at 3rd. Really nice weight to the font. I like Palatino, but it was a bit too light. The Charis larger is just perfect on the PW.
Those other fonts were already on your PW, just unavailable until you did the USE_ALT_FONTS thing...It is possible to hide them, but it is an involved process discussed earlier by duckietigger.

Last edited by GoSharks; 03-21-2013 at 01:11 AM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #755
kindleuzer
Enthusiast
kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: PW, K3 Kbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Those other fonts were already on your PW, just unavailable until you did the ALT_Fonts thing...It is possible to hide them, but it is an involved process discussed earlier by duckietigger.
Oh, I see - that makes sense.

I was interested to see Charis is based on Bitstream Charter. I tried Bitstream Vera and looked awful.

Thanks again. I have a ton of fonts and will probably try some others just out of curiosity, but Charis is definitely the standard I'll measure them by. It's going to be hard to beat this one.

Last edited by kindleuzer; 03-21-2013 at 01:18 AM.
kindleuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #756
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleuzer View Post
Oh, I see - that makes sense.

I was interested to see Charis is based on Bitstream Charter. I tried Bitstream Vera and looked awful.

Thanks again. I have a ton of fonts and will probably try some others just out of curiosity, but Charis is definitely the standard I'll measure them by. It's going to be hard to beat this one.
Try Jon's CharisCompact version for more words to a page -- really nice.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #757
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Jon's Charis SIL Modified Larger is the best Font I've used to date. If Anyone's looking for it, the link is in post #700.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #758
topper0764
topper0764 doesn't littertopper0764 doesn't littertopper0764 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle pw
I use youyuan third biggest size any good Chinese font to recommend ?
topper0764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #759
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Those other fonts were already on your PW, just unavailable until you did the USE_ALT_FONTS thing...It is possible to hide them, but it is an involved process discussed earlier by duckietigger.
Actually it is not that involved any more. There is an extension for KUAL that will take care of hiding the fonts for you. Check out here.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #760
freedumb2000
freedumb2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
I just saw that my favourite serif font at the moment, Constantia, is available for free if you install PowerPoint Viewer 2007.
You will have to fatten it up first however.

Name:	screenshot_2013_03_29T22_12_13+0100.png
Views:	454
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	103650

Last edited by freedumb2000; 04-04-2013 at 03:41 AM.
freedumb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #761
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
When I don't want the people sitting next to me on the train to see what I'm reading, I switch to Aurebesh.

Also handy any time you just want to radiate that "I'm rather too into Star Wars" aura...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2013_04_08T01_39_48+0900.png
Views:	539
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	104014  
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #762
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkledorf View Post
When I don't want the people sitting next to me on the train to see what I'm reading, I switch to Aurebesh.

Also handy any time you just want to radiate that "I'm rather too into Star Wars" aura...
I'm still using Trebuchet as my main font.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #763
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I've trying been trying to find the perfect font for me. Not having much luck, because I'm really picky about such things, but the main ones that I am using now are called "Adobe Garamond Pro," "Lusitana," and "Adobe Carlson Pro."
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #764
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I've trying been trying to find the perfect font for me. Not having much luck, because I'm really picky about such things, but the main ones that I am using now are called "Adobe Garamond Pro," "Lusitana," and "Adobe Carlson Pro."
Are you using the semibold version of Adobe Garamond Pro? I find the regular version too thin for eInk.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #765
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I don't think I am actually. I didn't even know there was one, I'll have to look it up because sometimes I do find it too thin. That's one of the reasons I like Lusitana, because it's bold, but not too bold.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote