Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Sports Illustrated Feeds

I am attempting to set up a custom news feed that grabs stories from certain Sports Illustrated baseball columnists. Specifically, I am working with:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...gs/index.html#

However, I cannot get it to pick up the entire story so I used the print version of the story at:

http://si.printthis.clickability.com...partnerID=2356

I followed the instructions at the calibre website to use print versions, but cannot get this to work.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You should post your recipe
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
geneaber
Connoisseur

Here is what I am working with. Thanks.

class AdvancedUserRecipe1258255428(BasicNewsRecipe):
title = u'SI Baseball'
oldest_article = 8
max_articles_per_feed = 100

feeds = [(u'Jon Heyman', u'http://rss.cnn.com/rss/si_jon_heyman.rss')]

def print_version(self, url):
return url.replace('http://si.printthis.clickability.com/pt/')
Old 11-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
geneaber
Connoisseur

Anyone able to help?
Old 11-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
evanmaastrigt
Connoisseur
evanmaastrigt doesn't litterevanmaastrigt doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-600
What's wrong is that this people really don't like you to read their content offline. I tried to cook something up but it is not so easy. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.
evanmaastrigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
geneaber
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmaastrigt View Post
What's wrong is that this people really don't like you to read their content offline. I tried to cook something up but it is not so easy. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.
Thanks. What we really need (in addition to the columnists feeds I mentioned in my original post) is a way to collect all the articles from the current week's magazine. They are not in an RSS that I can find, but are posted here every Thursday morning:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...1356/index.htm

Unfortunately, I have no programming skills.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:40 AM   #7
evanmaastrigt
Connoisseur

recipe

Here goes. Attached recipe works for this Jon Heyman feed. I think it will also work for other columnists, but I didn't know any url so I couldn't test.

I had a quick look at the url you gave for the complete magazine, and I think it is doable. I'll give it a try some time later next week

sportsillustrated.zip
Old 11-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
geneaber
Connoisseur

Quote:
Here goes. Attached recipe works for this Jon Heyman feed. I think it will also work for other columnists, but I didn't know any url so I couldn't test.

I had a quick look at the url you gave for the complete magazine, and I think it is doable. I'll give it a try some time later next week

Attachment 39673
Thanks! I will try this out today. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
geneaber
Connoisseur

Quote:

Attachment 39673
Thanks. I tried it out and it works great. I am going to tinker around and see if I can add some of their other writer's feeds.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #10
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
Glen Beck RSS Feed

My apologize for posting this in error

Last edited by shrktank; 11-25-2009 at 01:18 PM.
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
geneaber
Connoisseur

Quote:

Attachment 39673
Any luck in getting the complete magazine?
Old 11-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
evanmaastrigt
Connoisseur

Yes, I think I've got something. I wanted to test this with the new issue as well, and it seems to work. There is only one thing: I could not find any logical sequence in the url's for the various issues so I just grab it from the frontpage.
But as of now there is a new issue, but the link on the frontpage is not updated yet. But I am on European Time. So try this out and keep an eye out for when they update their frontpage. If it is too late, let me know, there is an easy workaround for that as well :-)

I tested the columnist recipe with a couple of random selected writers and it worked for all of them. I cleaned it up a little and included it again: the new recipe will overwrite the old one in calibre.
sportsillustrated.zip

Cheers!
Old 11-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
geneaber
Connoisseur

Quote:
Yes, I think I've got something. I wanted to test this with the new issue as well, and it seems to work. There is only one thing: I could not find any logical sequence in the url's for the various issues so I just grab it from the frontpage.
But as of now there is a new issue, but the link on the frontpage is not updated yet. But I am on European Time. So try this out and keep an eye out for when they update their frontpage. If it is too late, let me know, there is an easy workaround for that as well :-)
This is great! Thanks for your help. As of 10:44 am US Eastern, the frontpage link to the magazine has not changed. What is the workaround? It may not be updated yet because of Thanksgiving.

I really appreciate you helping on this.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
evanmaastrigt
Connoisseur

Right, I forgot about Thanksgiving. But here's the workaround anyway. I don't like it too much as it depends on the location of a certain image, but it works.

sportsillustrated.zip

Last edited by evanmaastrigt; 11-27-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #15
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Just to be clear, this may not be the "complete magazine."

On another thread started by the same person, I sent them to the RSS feed page of Sports Illustrated, via this post.

I don't get the print magazine, so I can't tell which RSS sources best match the print edition. But I'm not finding much overlap in viewing the two different recipes.

Calibre Page count:
162 using the recipe in this thread.
784 using the recipe in the above linked thread.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote