Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Calibre 0.4.56 doesn't recognize Reader

For the first time in using Calibre, it doesn't recognize my Sony Reader. I plugged in the Reader and opened Calibre. When that resulted in no recognition, I closed Calibre, unplugged my Reader, reopened Calibre, and then replugged in my Reader. Still no recognition. I did not have this problem with earlier versions of Calibre, just the latest version today.

I then opened my Sony Connect software to see if it recognized the Reader and it did, so I know the computer is recognizing the Reader.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by rhadin; 05-23-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Added information about Connect software
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I assume your reader still shows up as a drive in windows?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry. I missed this reply and I was away for the weekend.

If I go to My Computer, it does show the Reader as a drive letter and if I double-click on the drive letter, it brings up a list ofg everything that is on the Reader

Last edited by rhadin; 05-27-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Incorrect response given -- wrote doesn't when I meant does
Old 05-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you willing to do a little technical debugging?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Kovid, it depends on what you mean. I'm willing to try within my capabilities. What I don't want to happen is for my Reader to become unusable or to lose everything I have on it. I know this sounds wishy-washy, but I'm not all that technologically savvy outside my narrow niche of editing.
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Not too worry, nothing I tell you to do will harm your reader. Basically, debugging will involve you running a bunch of commands (all of them designed to give me information about calibre's interaction with your system) I ask you to and sending me the output, it may take a little while, which is why I ask.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

In that case, no problem. Tell what you want me to do and how to do it. I have no clue as to how to send commands to the Reader (I always use the GUI interface and never the command line -- perhaps it's an age thing ). Once I get your instructions, I will run the commands in the evening. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

As a first step reboot you computer, connect the reader, wait 10 secs and run the command
Code:
prs500 info
at a command prompt (you can start a command prompt by typing cmd.exe in a run dialog)
Old 05-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

I did as you instructed and received the following message:

Unable to find PRS505. Is it Connected?

However, if I go to Windows Explorer, the Reader is recognized as a drive.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

ok now if you run the command calibre-debug, do you end up at a new green prompt?
Old 05-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #11
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

No, I get a message that welcomes me to IPython. Then I get the following error message:

WARNING:
Installation error. IPython's directory was not found.

If I press RETURN to start IPYthon, I then get a green icon that reads:

In [1]
Old 05-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The warning can be ignored, at the green prompt type the following lines pressing enter after each line (Note that spaces at the beginning of each line are important, you can just copy paste line by line)

Code:
import wmi, pythoncom
pythoncom.CoInitialize()
_wmi = wmi.WMI()
for c in _wmi.USBControllerDevice(): print c.Dependent.DeviceID.upper()
Old 05-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Kovid, I did as instructed and the attached JPG shows the result. BTW, I downloaded the latest version this morning and installed it and still the same result. And after following your instructions, I tried opening Calibre to see if it would recognize my PRS505, but still no luck.

Last edited by rhadin; 06-27-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

the new version doesn't have any device specific changes.

That screenshot shows your reader is connected and should be detected. Try the following at the green prompt

Code:
import wmi, pythoncom
pythoncom.CoInitialize()
_wmi = wmi.WMI()
from calibre.devices.scanner import DeviceScanner
from calibre.devices.prs505.driver import PRS505
d = DeviceScanner(_wmi)
d.scan()
print d.devices
d.is_device_connected(PRS505)
Old 05-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Kovid, I followed these instructions. Below is the JPG showing the results. When I opened Calibre, it still doesn't recognize the Reader (see the second JPG).

Last edited by rhadin; 06-27-2008 at 01:48 PM.