Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
Nowadays only a high-res tablet or the Surface gets much attention. Even the Nook HD didn't get that much excitement.

Except for the price, this Insignia tablet really offers nothing new, so the consumer will find it hard to differentiate from the crappy cheap tablets out there.

Sad, but true. Vizio is another example of a decent 8 inch tablet that got lost in the sea of bargain Android offerings.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Sad, but true. Vizio is another example of a decent 8 inch tablet that got lost in the sea of bargain Android offerings.
The Vizio DID get lost. I remember seeing a bit about it leading up to its release, but as soon as it hit the shelves...any hoopla about it vanished, it seems.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
The Vizio DID get lost. I remember seeing a bit about it leading up to its release, but as soon as it hit the shelves...any hoopla about it vanished, it seems.
It got some attention in the Home Theater media because of its IR remote features but the remote app wasn't all that hot. Neither was the rest of the spec sheet:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/24054...lue_price.html
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #19
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Best Buy *last week* introduced an Android tablet of their own and nobody noticed.
Quote:
However, the timing of this announcement is awkward at best for the struggling electronics retailer. With more than 1,400 stores, the company has been hard pressed to compete with online retailers. Already late to a party dominated by Apple and Samsung, Best Buy will also be competing with Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Microsoft, and even Toys R Us -- all of which have released new tablets recently or plan to do so presently.
I hope BB makes it because it is good to have a place you can drive up to and "walk in."
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I hope BB makes it because it is good to have a place you can drive up to and "walk in."
Me too! My second favorite place to play with toys.

The first? Golfsmith.

Both are within walking distance by the way. So is B&N and my gym so plenty to keep me amused in my area.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #21
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I had a very positive experience recently buying a TV from BB (Magnolia). Got them to price match a price i found on the net (from an outfit I honestly would not buy from). They are giving me 30 day no question return, free delivery and setup, no restock fee. Didnt try to upsell me a bunch of crap either, just the normal extended warranty. Very smooth transaction.

They are trying very hard to compete with the Internet retailers. I hope they can stay in business.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #22
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
If this BB tablet is the same "quality" as my superpad [knockoff], then I wouldn't touch it.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #23
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Best Buy only has roughly 1,400 stores. Where do the "thousands" come in?
Yes, they have roughly 1,400 stores and SHRINKING fast.. rumor has it they will be closing as may as 25-30% of stores in next yr.. Amazon etc are killing them.. plus the management in stores is horrible.. not to mention the Caliber of some of the clerks etc.. HORRIBLE..
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #24
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Given that this seems to have pretty much the same specs as my HP Touchpad (running CM9 ICS) - except lower storage but with an SD slot - I expect anyone who buys this will be very happy. I've been using the Touchpad daily for over a year and as yet see no need to upgrade.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:36 AM   #25
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Given that this seems to have pretty much the same specs as my HP Touchpad (running CM9 ICS) - except lower storage but with an SD slot - I expect anyone who buys this will be very happy. I've been using the Touchpad daily for over a year and as yet see no need to upgrade.

Graham
Well, the Touchpad was the deal of the century -- you can do a lot better than this for this price now. I don't see anything that really makes me want to upgrade either, but that just shows you that they haven't introduced any really interesting high-end tablets since year.

Hopefully the Surface can change that.

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-21-2012 at 03:43 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #26
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And we have a spec sheet:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia...&skuId=6815166
(via:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=151)

Quote:
Surfing the Web at blazing-fast speeds is easy via this Insignia™ NS-13T001 tablet's 9.7" capacitive touch-panel display. The Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system and 1.0GHz TI OMAP 4428 processor ensure efficient multitasking.

What's Included
•Insignia™ Flex Tablet with 8GB Memory
•2-cell lithium-polymer battery
•Wall charger, USB cable
•Owner's manual

Product Features
•Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system
Along with a dual-core 1.0GHz Texas Instruments OMAP 4428 processor allows you to stay connected and productive on the go.
•Built-in 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN
Connect to the Internet without wires.
•1GB memory
For multitasking power.
•9.7" capacitive touch-panel TFT-LCD display
With 1024 x 768 resolution to showcase movies and games in stunning clarity.
•8GB on-board memory
Offers spacious storage.
•2.0MP front-facing camera
Makes it easy to capture video clips.
•microSD memory card slot
Supports cards up to 32GB for storing or transferring media.
•USB 2.0 port
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
•Bluetooth 4.0
Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.
•Weighs only 1.5 lbs. and measures just 0.5" thin
For lightweight portability. Sensors include G-sensor, E-compass and ambient light sensor.
Oh, yeah.
List-priced at $249, but that's a $199 10" tablet without question.
(An iPad2-class tablet, no? i.e., year-old specs at half the going rate.)

Screen's not great but it's not offensive: 4x3 aspect ratio, XGA resolution.
My (very) old TC1000 runs XGA at 10in and reading on it is fine but that is in MS Reader (Cleartype!). Coolreader has very good anti-aliasing so this might do.
A tad heavy by current standards but MicroSD is a big plus at that price. The camera has resolution on its side, at least, even it can't natively display what it captures..

You're not going to watch much HD video but if your interest is reading, web surfing, and viewing PDFs it just might do. When it goes on sale, of course.
Not quite DOA. Heh...

Edit: If the screen were only 1280x1024 I might bite...

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-21-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #27
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I've got no real issue with the specs at this price, but I was amused by some of the marketing claims:

Quote:
•9.7" capacitive touch-panel TFT-LCD display
With 1024 x 768 resolution to showcase movies and games in stunning clarity.
I assume we're not talking about all those movies and games generally formatted in widescreen.

(I personally prefer 4:3, but movies are not its strength, and while many games adapt well to my Touchpad it's by no means universal.)

Stunning clarity? At significantly less than HD resolution?

Quote:
•8GB on-board memory
Offers spacious storage.
"Spacious" we say, and "spacious" we mean. Don't listen to those rival manufacturers who suggest that 16 GB, 32 GB or 64 GB might be useful.

Quote:
•2.0MP front-facing camera
Makes it easy to capture video clips.
As long as the subject of your video is over your shoulder.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #28
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I did not even know about this tablet and I keep up with things so how is Joe to notice?

And isn't it a bit early to claim no one noticed given the timeframe announced? On that note, tough company with the Mini, new Nook and 8.9 KFHD fast approaching.

Last edited by robertc88; 10-21-2012 at 11:31 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #29
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
And isn't it a bit early to claim no one noticed given the timeframe announced? On that note, tough company with the Mini, new Nook and 8.9 KFHD fast approaching.
It took a week for CNET to cover it.
And they're *paid* to keep track of new gadgets.
(Most other sites just nodded and moved on. Obiwan must've been around.)
Old 10-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #30
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
Like Calvin, I recently got a 7" tab (my first android experience) that runs ICS 4.0.3, 16Gb, with microSD card slot, dual-core, 1024 x 600 res, 2Mpx camera, capacitive touchscreen for $130 delivered. It has been a learning experience, but I'm liking it better and better every day as I get better at operating it.
Biggest drawback for me is a touchscreen for someone with essential tremors. I skip around a lot -
All this to say that a $199 'sale' price should put the Surface 9.7" right in the ballpark, imo. The right in-store display could pull customers away from the higher priced brands...
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote