Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #121
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as I can tell, the Readers LRF rendering software has severe memory leaks, causing it to die a horrible death on complex documents.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:11 AM   #122
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
What dooes it mean "complex" documents?

Has anyone complained to Sony about it?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2008, 04:23 AM   #123
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

complex = documents with a lot of page breaks and/or large TextBlocks
A TextBlock is a unit in an LRF file. I certainly haven't complained as I have absolutely zero tolerance for corporate bug reporting procedures.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:54 AM   #124
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I see. Thanks for the info.

None of my ebooks had this kind problem so far.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #125
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
A TextBlock is a unit in an LRF file. I certainly haven't complained as I have absolutely zero tolerance for corporate bug reporting procedures.
Once I tried to report a bug to IBM about a memory/handle leak with their Thinkpad power management tool. I went so far as to send them the disassembly of the code pointing at the very location where the bug did occur (they forgot to close a file handle in a routine that was periodically executed), but at the end of the day (after sending back and forth around 10 e-mails), all I heard back from them was, "We cannot reproduce the bug you've described."
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #126
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I think it's because in most corporate cultures there's very strong pressure to not admit you're in the wrong.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #127
Zabuton
Zabuton began at the beginning.

Device: BB8800/Sony PRS-505
Using kovid's CNN RSS feed recently (April 3rd) and the act of opening it on my Sony Reader reboots the reader. After the reboot, I attempted it again (well, I wanted to read CNN). The second time, there is no problem.

What I did notice is that I lost my history/bookmark for the day on another book I am reading. I suspect the reboot reverted back to some earlier system setting/file. (Sorry I do not know the internal workings of the Sony eReader)
Zabuton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #128
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
I will send an email to the Sony rep to see if he has an update about the new FW....

Fabian.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #129
tidixon
Enthusiast
tidixon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I will bump this thread to excite everyone.
tidixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #130
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
I got a reply from the Sony engineer requesting an update for the FW release date:

> Fabian,
>
> At this time I do not. There is an issue we are working on with
> Adobe and want to get it right before releasing.
>
>Dave

Thanks,
Fabian.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:18 AM   #131
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
That smell's strongly of "we have one last feature to pass QA, and it's a doozy".

Here's to hoping.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:37 AM   #132
ChuckEggDotCom
ChuckEggDotCom began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabuton View Post
Using kovid's CNN RSS feed recently (April 3rd) and the act of opening it on my Sony Reader reboots the reader. After the reboot, I attempted it again (well, I wanted to read CNN). The second time, there is no problem.
I'm having the same reboot problem with an LRF created from a www.BusinessWeek.com feed.

The .LRF can be correctly viewed in Kovid's reader and on the Windows Connect software, but the same file reboots the Reader. Unlike the CNN file, mine still doesn't load after reboot.

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ticket/717

What's the nature of the reboot? Can I change a complex file to less complex? Is there some way to otherwise trim or modify the LRF so it will load?

Last edited by ChuckEggDotCom; 05-28-2008 at 07:53 AM.
ChuckEggDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #133
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Take your BusinessWeek feed and put it on your reader using eBook Library. That sometimes solves the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:37 AM   #134
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
the excitement builds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
I got a reply from the Sony engineer requesting an update for the FW release date:

> Fabian,
>
>
>Dave

Thanks,
Fabian.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:49 AM   #135
alaya129
alaya129 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/Axim X50V
Last edited by flamaest; 01-14-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Today, 03/06 10:49 AM

The 505 firmware project is dead ... maybe
alaya129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, firmware, sony reader