Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
App Question

Hi! I was thinking of getting a Fire for my office for various needs. Currently I'm using my personal iPad, but there is no budget for one.

Anyway, I was looking at the amazon app store to see if the have any similar apps that I'm currently using and I was wondering if all the apps in the store were available on the Fire. I'm mainly looking for a tablet that has an app that I can use as an inventory program.

Thanks!
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankgirl View Post
Hi! I was thinking of getting a Fire for my office for various needs. Currently I'm using my personal iPad, but there is no budget for one.

Anyway, I was looking at the amazon app store to see if the have any similar apps that I'm currently using and I was wondering if all the apps in the store were available on the Fire. I'm mainly looking for a tablet that has an app that I can use as an inventory program.

Thanks!

What's the name of the App you are using now? There's a good chance there is an Android version of the App.

Here are just a few examples:

http://www.amazon.com/RomiSys-Invent...8727364&sr=1-3

http://www.androidpit.com/en/android...nventory-Droid

http://slideme.org/application/wherehouse

http://slideme.org/application/finan...ounting-system

http://www.1mobile.com/easy-inventory-155322.html

http://www.1mobile.com/tim-property-...ry-197974.html

With the Kindle Fire you can download free Apps or purchase Apps from other sources in addition to Amazon. All the links here are to legitimate businesses.

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-08-2012 at 02:10 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
All these apps can be used on the Fire? That's what I'm a bit confused on. When I was looking through the Amazon app some of the apps said Fire edition some didn't.

The iTunes one I'm using is called iStorage, but any of the ones you have listed would work I think. I just don't want to waste the money on a fire and not be able to use the app I want.

So just to be sure, the fire can use all android apps?
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
We can test them for you and let you know. Most Gingerbread targeted apps work with the Fire. It's the ones that need stuff like Google Services that do not.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
Tangiegirl
Tangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it isTangiegirl knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Also, remember Amazon has a very generous 30 day return policy. If you order from Amazon, they'll take it back, refund your money and pay the return postage, too.

If you prefer to try the fire and apps personally, you could get a fire, try out a few of the apps and if you find them and the fire unsuited to your needs, you can send it back, hassle free.

The most you'd be out is the cost of the app(s) you want to try that don't offer a free trial.
Tangiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangiegirl View Post
Also, remember Amazon has a very generous 30 day return policy. If you order from Amazon, they'll take it back, refund your money and pay the return postage, too.
Return postage is no guarantee if the item is being returned because you don't want it. I recently had a run in with Amazon over a leftover Christmas gift I returned. The item was never opened and still sealed in the box. I called before sending it back to make sure I wouldn't have to pay return shipping and was assured I would not have to. So I sent it back. After they received it, they deducted shipping charges. A lengthy phone call resulted in their refusal to reimburse the shipping charges. I then canceled my Prime membership. I hate being told one thing, committing myself based on that info, only to then get screwed for acting upon it.

So beware. This is definitely on of those YMMV thingies. Some have success, while others don't.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 02-09-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: typo
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #7
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Note to OP, just because an app doesn't say Kindle Fire version doesn't mean it wont work.
many non Fire apps work/look great but some apps are optimized just for the fire.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankgirl View Post
All these apps can be used on the Fire? That's what I'm a bit confused on. When I was looking through the Amazon app some of the apps said Fire edition some didn't.

The iTunes one I'm using is called iStorage, but any of the ones you have listed would work I think. I just don't want to waste the money on a fire and not be able to use the app I want.

So just to be sure, the fire can use all android apps?

When an App says Fire edition it usually means it has been optimized for the Fire. When you buy a Kindle Fire your Amazon account will add the Fire to your profile. When you go online with your Fire or a PC and browse Apps in the Amazon App Store it lets you know if the App is "compatible" with the Fire. For example, Inventory Droid is listed as compatible with the Fire. Inventory Droid has a 51 page User Guide (http://www.romisystems.com/files/Inv....UserGuide.pdf) and looks like a very comprehensive inventory App. Plus, Inventory Droid has a compatible desktop version for a Windows PC so there should be some advanced cross functionality and syncing options.

http://romisys.tech.officelive.com/InventoryDroid.aspx

Like salsaguy said, even though an App may be reported as not compatible with the Fire it may still work. The reason is because there are so many Android Apps and because the Fire is relatively new, Amazon has not been able to fully test every App with the Fire to guarantee full compatibility. The Amazon Android App store sells Apps to all Android owners and there are plenty of different flavors of Android tablets and phones. Plus, unlike Apple, Amazon doesn't make you buy your groceries only at their store and you are free to shop around at other App stores.

Most basic Apps which are not graphic intensive, like an inventory program, will work with almost any Android device including the Fire. Just like a PC, Apps have a minimum operating system requirement. For example, if you look at Inventory Droid the minimum requirement is Android 1.5. The Fire is running Android 2.3. The Fire meets the OS requirement for all of these App so they should work with the Fire. Unfortunately, most inventory programs will likely have a scanner option that requires a camera which the Fire doesn't have. This doesn't mean the App won't work, it just means you will have to manually enter the inventory. If you find an App you are interested in let us know and I'm sure someone on this forum, including myself, will be more than happy to download it (if it is free) and try it on the Fire.

BTW, what is the name of the App you are currently using?

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-09-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
tstarky
Next mood swing...6 min
tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Fire, PW
A really nice database app that I have used since my Palm Pilot days is HanDBase. It is $10 in the Android Market but it can be sideloaded and it works just fine on the Fire. They have lots of free databases that you can download from their site so you don't have to re-invent the wheel. I don't know why I never thought of using the Fire for Inventory at work....hmmmm....
tstarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstarky View Post
A really nice database app that I have used since my Palm Pilot days is HanDBase. It is $10 in the Android Market but it can be sideloaded and it works just fine on the Fire. They have lots of free databases that you can download from their site so you don't have to re-invent the wheel. I don't know why I never thought of using the Fire for Inventory at work....hmmmm....

It's available from Amazon as well and is compatible with the Fire. Looks like a good App.

http://www.amazon.com/DDH-Software-I...8799923&sr=1-1
Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
To find out what apps in the appstore Amazon will let you get for the Fire (the ones it lists as compatible), without having one registered to your account:

On any Amazon page leave the search box blank, choose "Apps for Android" as the department to search, and click Go.

Scroll down on the results page and about halfway down on the left you will see a checkbox for "Available on Kindle Fire" to narrow the results down to only fire-compatible apps (over 15,000 at this time).
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
tstarky
Next mood swing...6 min
tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Fire, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
It's available from Amazon as well and is compatible with the Fire. Looks like a good App.

http://www.amazon.com/DDH-Software-I...8799923&sr=1-1
Well I swear I searched for it on Amazon shortly after I got the KF and did not find it. I see it has been available from Amazon since March 2011. I purchased it directly from the site.
tstarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstarky View Post
Well I swear I searched for it on Amazon shortly after I got the KF and did not find it. I see it has been available from Amazon since March 2011. I purchased it directly from the site.

Like a lot of Apps on Amazon it most likely didn't make the official Fire compatibility list until recently. There are still plenty of Apps on Amazon that actually work with the Fire which have yet to make the official Fire compatibility list.