Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Writing online dialogue

Is there an accepted way of writing online dialogue, like ICQ or Messenger? Do you put it in normal quotes and use he typed, she read, etc? Or put it in all caps, use a different font, add extra space around it? Something else?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Is there an accepted way of writing online dialogue, like ICQ or Messenger?
I don't know, i just can tell you what i'm doing. I've never heard of a special way for online dialogues... If there exists indeed an "an accepted way" then i would like to know that too.

Quote:
Do you put it in normal quotes and use he typed, she read, etc?
Yes, i use normal font and normal quotes with as few "he typed|she read" as possible...just like a normal dialogue.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
mr ploppy: Is there an accepted way of writing online dialogue, like ICQ or Messenger?
queentess: I'm not sure if I've seen this in print before or not.
mr ploppy: Do you put it in normal quotes and use he typed, she read, etc?
queentess: I would use as few of "s/he typed" as possible. I could get annoying.
mr ploppy: Or put it in all caps, use a different font, add extra space around it? Something else?
queentess: Depending on how you wanted it to look, you could actually type the "conversation" as it would appear in an IM client. Perhaps with a couple line breaks between the regular text and the conversation.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Probably complicating things a bit, but I also want to have 2 people in the same room having a "normal" conversation while the ICQ is going on.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Perhaps use a monospace font for the typed conversation and regular quote style for the spoken one?
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Perhaps use a monospace font for the typed conversation and regular quote style for the spoken one?
That's what I was thinking, plus something like Queentess (though I would need quite short screen names for that). Can you have more than one font in a Kindle file or would that just work for epubs?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I like this idea a lot. I think (I could be mistaken) that Stephen King used this in his book Misery to distinguish between his story the story written by the protagonist.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Can you have more than one font in a Kindle file
No, mobi doesn't support font embedding afaik. Though, you could try using font-family: monospace as mentioned here in the calibre conversion forum.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote