Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur
Anders Eriksson doesn't litterAnders Eriksson doesn't litter

Device: a blue Opus
Best 5" for reading borrowed epub's?

Hello,
I am searching for the perfect 5" eink reader for reading borrowed epub's

I have had a Sony prs-505 that I have given away to my wife after buying a PocketBook 360.

The PB360 is really good with allot of formats and many many features.
But these all features comes at a price: the basic ones for reading borrowed epub's is not working so well in the current version of the firmware, and I don't have so big hope for improvements especially regarding that the main format for the Ukrainian software is there own FB2 format.

Then I hoped for the Opus from Bookeen, but from the answers I have got so far in the Bookeen forum it doesn't seem to work so well either.

I gave my sister a PRS-300 so I tested it a bit before, the software is quite good but I prefer the buttons on the sides (both or on one side + the possibility to rotate) so it is possible to read with either left or right hand.

Do anyone have another device to suggest?
Anders Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Maybe the Astak Pocket Pro/BeBook Mini/Hanlin v5?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Maybe the Astak Pocket Pro/BeBook Mini/Hanlin v5?
Have you tried it on borrowed epub's?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Eriksson View Post
Have you tried it on borrowed epub's?
Nope, but I know it's compatible with them...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78774
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The EZ Reader Pocket Pro (Hanlin V5) is a good choice for Adobe lending library ebooks. It is a bit more expensive than the PRS-300, but has more capabilities and in particular has three ways to turn pages (left center keys, bottom right keys, and right top scroll wheel). It is also currently on sale, see Mother's Day Blowout on all EZ Readers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The EZ Reader Pocket Pro (Hanlin V5) is a good choice for Adobe lending library ebooks. It is a bit more expensive than the PRS-300, but has more capabilities and in particular has three ways to turn pages (left center keys, bottom right keys, and right top scroll wheel). It is also currently on sale, see Mother's Day Blowout on all EZ Readers.
Thank you wallcraft for answering!

Does it show how many days are left like the sony's and/or does it show expire date in some info page?

How many zoom-levels/fonts-sizes can be used for borrowed epub's?

Do you use both left-hand and right-hand reading?

I was using a Hanlin v3 for a little while but it was really slow, what about the speed to turn pages?

Is epub the major format? that has the most features and most stable ones also?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
I hear you can extend the time of borrowing a book by not connecting it to the pc once the book is open and by charging it through the mains. Is that correct
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
I hear you can extend the time of borrowing a book by not connecting it to the pc once the book is open and by charging it through the mains. Is that correct
No I don't think so.

I even heard that on the "Letto" a Swedish re-branded Bebook One, the Adobe Digital edition implemented on the device had its own "Real-time-clock".
So even if you tried to set back the date, the borrowed epub expired at correct date. I haven't tried this on any reader, but it seems reasonable.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Eriksson View Post
How many zoom-levels/fonts-sizes can be used for borrowed epub's?

I was using a Hanlin v3 for a little while but it was really slow, what about the speed to turn pages?

Is epub the major format? that has the most features and most stable ones also?
Nine font sizes (vs 3 on the PRS-300).

The Pocket Pro (V5) is about 30% faster than the Basic (V3) for page turning (not really noticeable), and significantly faster opening books etcetera (anything that is dominated by cpu time).

Yes, ePub is the primary format. The other "good" formats are FB2 and MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Nine font sizes (vs 3 on the PRS-300).

The Pocket Pro (V5) is about 30% faster than the Basic (V3) for page turning (not really noticeable), and significantly faster opening books etcetera (anything that is dominated by cpu time).

Yes, ePub is the primary format. The other "good" formats are FB2 and MOBI.
Thank you wallcraft for answering!

Have you tried to read borrowed epub?

If so:

Does it show how many days are left like the sony's and/or does it show expire date in some info page?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #11
Bookster
Maniac
Bookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3 PRS505&600 Kindle2 Pocketbook360&302 BeBookmini Onyx Boox Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
No, it just locks itself. In this, I haven't checked with PB360 or BeBook Mini, but I can guarantee for Sony models (so I suppose the PRS300 too). I'd vote for the Mini just because sometimes there's a bit of, er, conflict between ADE (which is the "proper" software for libraries) and Sony EBL (which used to keep the book anyway, even if it's locked- ILLOGICAL).
Bookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookster View Post
No, it just locks itself. In this, I haven't checked with PB360 or BeBook Mini, but I can guarantee for Sony models (so I suppose the PRS300 too). I'd vote for the Mini just because sometimes there's a bit of, er, conflict between ADE (which is the "proper" software for libraries) and Sony EBL (which used to keep the book anyway, even if it's locked- ILLOGICAL).
This way of reading past the due date is working fine on my Sony PRS-505. I just recently got access to public library (ADE) ebooks, and this is what I did:
- haven't connect to a computer
- charge via A/C adapter/mains
- have kept that ebook open on the Reader
- don't do full shutdown (only use the switch at the top, or auto power off).

I'm not sure if the latter two are required. Sorry, I don't want to chance testing anything until I finish this book.

Just checked, and the library ebook still reads fine. It's about a month past due.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote