Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Hitesh1
Enthusiast
Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C; Kindle Paperwhite 2018
PRS 505 vs Kobo N647

Hi everyone !
I would like to have a comparison between these 2 readers. I'm low on cash and would be buying an e-reader from US ( I live in India).
There were a lot of deals on ebay. Picked up these 2 from there. These both have a 4$ difference.
Now while comparing ebook readers, a lot of factors are taken into account.
Some factors which are not important to me are wifi, 3g, internal storage, expandable limit, library, web browser, anything related to internet or network, touch screen etc
Things which are really important are resolution, screen size, replaceable battery(?), battery life, dictionary etc. The most important factor is e-ink. I would have never considered an e-reader if this technology wasn't there.
Also do you think if I have missed any important factor ? I'm a hardcore reader.

So guys please suggest me which one among these 2 is better and why.
I have some others too in mind but for now, would like to have discussion between these 2 only.
Thank You !
Hitesh

Last edited by Hitesh1; 02-21-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Hitesh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be totally honest, I don't think you'd be happy with either reader.

The Kobo is buggy. Not the hardware, but the firmware is. The 505 is not buggy, but it uses a rather old version of ADE that does not support full justification and if that's an issue you won't be happy.

I've had a 505 and it was good for it's time, but it's time is up. The Kobo's firmware is not good and you won't be happy with the bugs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
Hitesh1
Enthusiast
Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reply JSWolf
What type of bugs are there in kobo ?
And what is ADE ?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitesh1 View Post
Thanks for the reply JSWolf
What type of bugs are there in kobo ?
And what is ADE ?
You would have to read the Kobo section to find out about the bugs.

ADE is Adobe Digital Editions. It's the software used to read ePub eBooks.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Hitesh1, what's your budget? Could you look at one of the newer mini readers, like the Kobo or Trekstor minis?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
How about this, try to save more money maybe for a month so you can get a reader that has great quality. What do you think?
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Hitesh1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Hitesh1, what's your budget? Could you look at one of the newer mini readers, like the Kobo or Trekstor minis?
As low as possible. Would like it to be under 30$
20$ more will be spent on international shipping, customs and handling
(will be ordering through this ishopinternational.com)
Still I'll check this trekstor kobo minis

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
How about this, try to save more money maybe for a month so you can get a reader that has great quality. What do you think?
Actually I will be buying after 3-4 weeks. The problem is that parents wouldn't let me increase the budget
The total budget is around 130$, but then I need a decent graphic card

btw How about Kindle first gen ?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
Hitesh1
Enthusiast

@JSwolf
I'm not able to find bug related threads. Can you help me out ?
Most of the threads are for glo and touch. And search isn't coming with good results
Old 02-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bear in mind that any PRS505 is going to be many years old, and its battery will be practically dead.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
@JSwolf
I'm not able to find bug related threads. Can you help me out ?
Most of the threads are for glo and touch. And search isn't coming with good results
The Kobo you are thinking of has bugs in the firmware. It's not made any more so it doesn't get the conversation that the current models do. The Kobo Mini also has bugs. So that should be out.

The Trekstor is smaller then a 5" screen. So if you want something that small, that's OK. But it is not nearly as nice as a 6" screen.

But, you won't be getting anything decent at under $30. You do have to spend more. You can get a nook Simple Touch for $80. But a reader that's $30 or less will be old and as HarryT said, the battery probably will be on it's last legs. In a case like this, trying to save money is going to end up costing you more.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-22-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Hitesh1
Enthusiast

Oh crap didn't though about that.
Lets take this for an example-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PRS-505...item257b107ba6
How much dead would it be ?
I mean what's your gut feeling saying ?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
Hitesh1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kobo you are thinking of has bugs in the firmware. It's not made any more so it doesn't get the conversation that the current models do. The Kobo Mini also has bugs. So that should be out.

The Trekstor is smaller then a 5" screen. So if you want something that small, that's OK. But it is not nearly as nice as a 6" screen.

But, you won't be getting anything decent at under $30. You do have to spend more. You can get a nook Simple Touch for $80. But a reader that's $30 or less will be old and as HarryT said, the battery probably will be on it's last legs. In a case like this, trying to save money is going to end up costing you more.
Oh well that's disappointing.
I could have lived with the bugs, but dead battery ? No way
Let me process a little more
Old 02-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
Hitesh1
Enthusiast

OK, decided to increase the budget. Will buy a new/current product.
I'll be looking at products from these brands - Amazon, Kobo, Sony and Barnes & Noble.
Any other good brand that I missed ?

btw Trekstor is out. Screen size is unacceptable

Last edited by Hitesh1; 02-22-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Added a line
Old 02-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Oh crap didn't though about that.
Lets take this for an example-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PRS-505...item257b107ba6
How much dead would it be ?
I mean what's your gut feeling saying ?
But how old it is. I know it says refurbished, but when was that and how much use has it had since then? No way to tell.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
OK, decided to increase the budget. Will buy a new/current product.
I'll be looking at products from these brands - Amazon, Kobo, Sony and Barnes & Noble.
Any other good brand that I missed ?

btw Trekstor is out. Screen size is unacceptable
Kobo should be out. You'll find it too frustrating (because of the bugs). Also, Kindle PW should be out as well given that there are numerous screen issues and you won't be able to easily send it back.

That leaves Sony and B&N.