Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-31-2008, 12:02 PM   #16
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
TrueType fonts can (always?) render whatever size you want. The trick here is for the Cybook to select 24pt but actually get back 48pt. There are lots of reasons why this might not work, but perhaps there is a way to make it happen.
Then someone (Hint! Hint, Hint! Bookeen!) should do so!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:04 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
can one " pinch " fonts from MS Windows , and use them ?
Yes. In the case of the "core" fonts, this is even legal.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:04 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
TrueType fonts can (always?) render whatever size you want. The trick here is for the Cybook to select 24pt but actually get back 48pt. There are lots of reasons why this might not work, but perhaps there is a way to make it happen.
In the font header (which you should be able to edit with any font editor) there's a value which defines the mapping from points to pixels. If you increase that value (so you get more pixels per point) you'll get bigger characters for a given point size.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:29 PM   #19
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In the font header (which you should be able to edit with any font editor) there's a value which defines the mapping from points to pixels. If you increase that value (so you get more pixels per point) you'll get bigger characters for a given point size.
There is? I can't find it. The only thing I'm able find is a mapping from points to pixels for bitmap strikes. As far as I know the pixel size of a font is determined by the dpi setting of the display (~166 on the Cybook), not by the the font header.
Please prove me wrong though, if I'm wrong
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #20
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Quote:
Is there a way to produce larger fonts in Cybook's Reader via FontForge? The current maximum size is about 24pt, which is not large enough for everyone - see Does the new CyBook support ultra-large fonts (>72 points)?.
To answer your question directly: I don't think there is. Technically it's certainly possible to render any TrueType/OpenType font at whatever size you want, but the size is determined by the software configuration not the font itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96
Maybe someone can start up a line of freeware fonts optimized for the Cybook
That's a good idea. I think, I might do just that in the next few days ... maybe.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #21
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: CybkG3; iPads; Kindle PW2, Fire; NookGlow; KoboGlo, Aura HD, Aura One;
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
... I attached the adapted font. You can compare it to the original font, which I linked to above.
Thank you so much for posting those fonts in a downloadable format! I just put them in my Fonts folder, and now I have more lines per page, while losing nothing in readability.

If anyone else would be willing to offer the results of their font-tweaking, I'm sure many of us would be grateful for the offering!

(It's not that I'm too lazy to do the tweaking myself; it's just that I'm already spending so many hours testing and tweaking other aspects of the Cybook, as so many of us are. So the more we can save each other time-consuming steps, the more time we can all spend reading )
Mikeyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:07 AM   #22
IceHand
Linux User

The problem is probably that most people use copyrighted fonts and thus are unable to upload their tweaked fonts – legally that is. I would gladly upload my tweaked favourite font (Underware's Dolly), but I can't. Even uploading the standard Microsoft fonts would be illegal.
However there are a few good free fonts which could be tweaked and uploaded. I'm thinking of some of the URW fonts (especially Palladio) and Charis SIL. I may look into it.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:01 AM   #23
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
The problem is probably that most people use copyrighted fonts and thus are unable to upload their tweaked fonts – legally that is. I would gladly upload my tweaked favourite font (Underware's Dolly), but I can't. Even uploading the standard Microsoft fonts would be illegal.
However there are a few good free fonts which could be tweaked and uploaded. I'm thinking of some of the URW fonts (especially Palladio) and Charis SIL. I may look into it.
You could probably distribute a program that modified the fonts...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #24
lordofazeroth
Connoisseur
lordofazeroth began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini and kindle touch
I tried to change the DejaVU fonts spacing, but nothing happened. I tried from +-100 to +-700, no difference to the original file, what am I doing wrong?
lordofazeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #25
IceHand
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofazeroth View Post
I tried to change the DejaVU fonts spacing, but nothing happened. I tried from +-100 to +-700, no difference to the original file, what am I doing wrong?
Hard to say without knowing any details. Did you make sure to set all Metric fields to zero aside from "HHead Ascent Offset" and "HHead Desecent Offset"? Are you using "File -> Generate Fonts..." instead of "File -> Save"?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #26
lordofazeroth
Connoisseur

I did both of it.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #27
IceHand
Linux User

Quote:
I did both of it.
Hm, I can change the font myself and upload it, if you want. Which of the DejaVu fonts did you want (DejaVu-Sans, DejaVu-Serif ...)?
Old 03-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #28
lordofazeroth
Connoisseur

DejaVu Sans, DejaVu Serif, and sans Condensed please.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #29
IceHand
Linux User

Quote:
DejaVu Sans, DejaVu Serif, and sans Condensed please.
Here you go. I've no idea what you did wrong, but I had no trouble respacing these fonts.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DejaVu-Fonts-Cybook.zip (2.69 MB, 896 views)
Old 03-07-2009, 03:09 AM   #30
lordofazeroth
Connoisseur

Thanks mate