Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2007, 03:03 PM   #31
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
In the past two weeks, Sony has added another 1800 titles (up another 7%) to a total of just under 29,000. They've also begun to add some short stories for $0.99 each (apparently following Amazon's lead) although right now they have just three of them available.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #32
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
I got Fair Game and I Am America (And So Can You) for less than $1 more than Amazon.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #33
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the past two weeks, Sony has added another 1200 titles (up another 4%) and now has 30,154 ebooks for sale at their eBook Library site (assuming no double counts in the sum of all categories). The categories that have increased the most are the same as I've mentioned previously. Since my first counting on Sept. 23 the total number of titles available is up 71% with fully ten times as many ebooks for sale in the category of Science and Nature but the number of titles in Fiction and Literature is up only 15% and the categories Sci Fi and Mysteries/Thrillers are both up only 8%. The total number of "Sony Classics" has remained constant at 950 (i.e., they are not padding their totals by adding more titles that we could get for free elsewhere). I'm attaching the data (a TXT file in CSV format) I've collected to date. Thanks, Sony! Let's keep it up and broaden the field a bit, please.
Attached Files
File Type: txt SonyEbookLibraryOfferings.txt (2.2 KB, 474 views)
Old 01-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #34
Zevs
Book lover!!
Zevs doesn't litterZevs doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505; Nowadays Stanza, Kindle, Txtr and Bluefire on iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I'm attaching the data (a TXT file in CSV format) I've collected to date. Thanks, Sony! Let's keep it up and broaden the field a bit, please.
Thanks very much or attaching the file! Hope you can keep doing whenever you update your own statistics. Very useful! Wonder if there is anything similar on the Kindle and Amazon...

Zevs
Zevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #35
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevs View Post
Thanks very much or attaching the file! Hope you can keep doing whenever you update your own statistics. Very useful! Wonder if there is anything similar on the Kindle and Amazon...

Zevs
You're welcome. I believe markbot has been monitoring the total number of titles available from Amazon here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16469
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #36
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In the past two weeks, Sony has added another 1800 titles (up another 7%) to a total of just under 29,000. They've also begun to add some short stories for $0.99 each (apparently following Amazon's lead) although right now they have just three of them available.

Hey is that your dog as you avatar.. if so it looks alot my dog tessie that we rescues from a shelter about 9 months ago.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #37
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
Hey is that your dog as you avatar.. if so it looks alot my dog tessie that we rescues from a shelter about 9 months ago.
Cool. Mine's half schnauzer and half......dog. Any ideas what the other half might be? We haven't a clue.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:47 PM   #38
eBookNerd
Connoisseur
eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Kindle, Sony PRS 505
Does anyone know why you are directed to "Borders, teamed with Amazon.com" when you type in www.borders.com?
Is this a temporary alliance until Borders gets their own storefront up and running? It seems very strange....
eBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:59 PM   #39
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
http://www.bordersstores.com/
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:53 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
assuming no double counts in the sum of all categories...
How valid an assumption is that? I would have thought that there would be a very large number of books which might appear in multiple categories, in which case the total count might be considerably inflated!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:24 AM   #41
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How valid an assumption is that? I would have thought that there would be a very large number of books which might appear in multiple categories, in which case the total count might be considerably inflated!
I agree with Harry that books may well be in several categories -- a romantic crime novel, for instance. Is it Romance or is it Myster/Crime?

I just wish it were possible to search and get the sony site to return ONLY the results which match completely.

I sometimes wonder if anywhere there is a single listing of all the books at the Sony site. I wish there were access to it so we could download it (just a simple list of title and author) and do our own searches on it.

I suppose it might be considered a trade secret, however, since it would give not only us but also Sony's competition, exact numbers, which may be something they don't want known.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:57 AM   #42
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I assumed the same as you have. So I checked a handful of titles to see if I could find them in multiple categories. For example, I looked for Bill Clinton's book "My Life" (which appears in Biographies) in other likely categories (Politics and Government, Mysteries and Thrillers, Romance, Horror, Science Fiction) and couldn't find it. (Okay, just having a little fun.) I was suprised to find no books in multiple categories and I've repeated those tests several times since. I can't say that there aren't some double or triple counts but it would appear that there aren't many. Also, if you search on the letter "a" (presumably which would have to appear alone in the title, author's name, or description to generate a hit), you get 26,931 hits compared to 30,154 from the sum of the categories. So I'm pretty comfortable that their current total is about 30,000. Frankly, I couldn't care less whether it's 25,000 or 35,000. I'm really looking for big trends.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #43
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
I was suprised to find no books in multiple categories and I've repeated those tests several times since. I can't say that there aren't some double or triple counts but it would appear that there aren't many.
Check for Mobi Dick! I have heard that there are 10 or 11 on in Kindle section
As if it is more popular than Harry Potter
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #44
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Good question. Sony has two: one Sony CONNECT Classic and one from Random-House Classics. I checked Amazon and you are right that they have eleven listed for the Kindle, each from a different publisher.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
So how inflated does this make the eBook count from Amazon based on these sorts of eBooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, duppy?, puppy!