Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
bimmy
bimmy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Epub Validator

Hello!

I'm trying to validate an epub file. I've never really understood it. Previously, if I had an error was self explanatory. I would do a search and find the error in the html file. The "line" and "position" columns never match up to the problem. Maybe I'm misinterpreting them? I hope so...because some where in my file I have a stray "p" and a stray "i". Lordy how will i ever find that! Any help on interpreting the "position" of these errors would be wonderful!

Bimmy
bimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
How are you viewing the files that have errors? I suspect that Notepad++ would be a good choice to look at the raw files and it shows line numbers on the left size. For epub you would need to take the ePub apart using a tool like zip unpack it. Note that epub check notes the location where it detected the error. If the error is the absence of a closing tag then the detection will be far from the actual error.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
bimmy

I'm viewing in jedit.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
bimmy

just viewed in Notepad++ like suggested and line numbers are the same.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Also note that in some error reports:
The line means Before this point.
That point being where the error became obvious: say the <p> begins a 500 word paragraph. The closing </p> may be many screen lines down
The validator ran into a New <p> (the line and col) .
You can't nest <p> tags: an obvious error

Sometimes you need to backtrack. It all depends on the EXACT error message
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
bimmy

well, I found my first errors. I've gotten rid of errors at line 11, 12, 13. they were actually at line 78,79,80. Extrapolating an 80 line difference didn't work. My next errors were at 72, 73 and there was nothing there.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
bimmy

well i went through line by line searching "i>". While all the remaining errors were said to be at lines in the seventy range, I actually found them in and around the 2000 range. Sucks. Why don't the line numbers match up for me?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It is because they are processed from the top, and that is the point at which there weren't enough ends to go with the beginnings. That is often at the end of the document for something like paragraph markers.

It can be easier to start at the top and look for ends to go with beginnings visually by paragraph or phrase. There is not a way to parse it backwards from the end...I asked.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
bimmy

LOL! Sounds like you have experience! But I've also experienced errors where I've mispelled something like "chapter" and put "chater" or something. It's easy enough to find because I can search for the mispelling. But the line indicated was still not correct.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:49 AM   #10
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
If you use Sigil -- Although the Flight Crew validator in Sigil is not as thorough as other validators, sometimes it is possible to double-click the line number to take you directly to the error. (But often, it too gives wrong line numbers.)
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:09 AM   #11
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If possible, post the file (no copyrighted material, though!) - it wil probably be easier to help then.

It is important that you (if at all possible) find the errors one at a time, from the top of the file, as one badly placed or missing tag in the beginning of the file is able to generate two million error-messages (well, a lot )

Another tip, which helped me a lot in the start: Try to unzip the epub and run the (x)html file(s) through the W3C validator at http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_upload - set the "More Options" to "Verbose output".

Hope this helps,

Regards

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #12
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It might help to put on your thinking cap for a sec instead of banging away at it. Is there any pattern to your previous errors that might suggest what is going on?

If they really are random, then you just have to look and look, but if you put them in there, you may have done them something other than randomly.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote