Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
jknight
jknight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
mobi cover art aspect ratio

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been pounded into the ground, but I'm still having some trouble with the cover art on conversion from epub to mobi.

I'm working from InDesign. I've tried using a cover image in 600 x 800 ratio. When I export from ID, the epub looks fine. Then, when converting with Calibre to mobi, the output looks wonky. There is a large white border especially on the right side and bottom.

Can someone tell me how to correct this?

Thanks in advance!
jknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight View Post
...when converting with Calibre to mobi, the output looks wonky. There is a large white border especially on the right side and bottom. ...
So how do you know this?? (read: what ebook reader or ereader app are you using to proof calibre's output)

Don't use calibre's ebook-reader module to proof conversions. You should be using either an actual Kindle device or using Kindle Previewer.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
jknight
jknight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Yes, I should have mentioned that. I'm testing on the kindle app on an ipad as well as the kindle previewer for Mac.
jknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
The 600x800 pixel (3:4 aspect ratio) works well on "traditional" eInk Kindles. When viewed on tablets (Kindle Fire, iPad, smart phones, ...) the image may not fill the display. Most tablets have a different aspect ratio than 3:4 (Fire=~3x5, 600x1024 pixel) and few reading apps will automatically scale the cover to fill the display. There is no good, reliable way to make the cover fill the display with no border on all devices and apps.

In general, if the cover image is centered left to right in the original source document it will display centered on the Kindle device/app given good conversion methods. I've had no problems with ePub>MOBI conversion in either KindleGen (via Kindle Previewer) or calibre.

Increasing the image size to match the Kindle Fire's display resolution may work for now, but when the device landscape changes who knows. Certainly, using a 600x1024px image will leave borders on the eInk Kindles (read: most Kindles in use today).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Dead Tree books come in various shapes..
Do you insist that these fill the entire Height and Depth of the Book shelf (spine out)? Did not think so

So why the insistence that All Covers fill the screen
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well for the non standard sizes I tend to enlarge the covers images to the needed size, then affix a new cover around the book (front back and spine) that has the right sized image on it

This way all my books are the same height in the bookshelf.

If only I could get all books to be the same thickness too
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote