Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Dropbox MOBI's from calibre

Gang,

Traded up my nook Color for the Fire today. Mostly happy but I'm having a hard time getting side loaded content to show up. Here's what I did:

1. Converted an EPUB to MOBI in calibre and took off the PDOC tag in the Mobi output options.

2. Installed Dropbox on the Fire

3. Copied file Dropbox

4. Installed ES File Explorer and copied the file into the Books directory

I thought I would see it in the carousel, but no luck. I checked the Docs area and it wasn't there either.

Any ideas?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodad View Post
Gang,

Traded up my nook Color for the Fire today. Mostly happy but I'm having a hard time getting side loaded content to show up. Here's what I did:

1. Converted an EPUB to MOBI in calibre and took off the PDOC tag in the Mobi output options.

2. Installed Dropbox on the Fire

3. Copied file Dropbox

4. Installed ES File Explorer and copied the file into the Books directory

I thought I would see it in the carousel, but no luck. I checked the Docs area and it wasn't there either.

Any ideas?
It need to be in Documents folder not books. That's for Amazon books only.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Thanks for the response. I dropped to of .mobi's into the Documents folder and still nothing shoes in Docs or Books.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I dropped to of .mobi's into the Documents folder and still nothing shoes in Docs or Books.
Test the book in Kindle4PC something may have gone wonky.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
astrodad
Guru

Yeah I'm seeing this on all of my converted books. The books all work fine in KINDLE4Mac.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yeah I'm seeing this on all of my converted books. The books all work fine in KINDLE4Mac.
Okay Try deleting them then readd them. Make sure when in docs or books you're in Device and not cloud. If that doesn't work try restarting the Fire.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
This is not so. I put all my side-loaded mobi's into books folder. But the truth is (I tested this for the author of calibre), it doesn't matter which folder you put them in. If the pdoc tag is there, it'll show up under 'docs' tab on the carousel. If it's not, it shows up in books.

I don't know why yours aren't showing up, OP, sorry. Mine are.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Speaking of calibre, does Fire browser work with calibre content server?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Speaking of calibre, does Fire browser work with calibre content server?
Any browser works with it.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
asb2164
asb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the roughasb2164 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle
I have been putting my MOBI files in the books folder and they do not seem to show up until after I reboot my Fire.
asb2164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
This is not so. I put all my side-loaded mobi's into books folder. But the truth is (I tested this for the author of calibre), it doesn't matter which folder you put them in. If the pdoc tag is there, it'll show up under 'docs' tab on the carousel. If it's not, it shows up in books.

I don't know why yours aren't showing up, OP, sorry. Mine are.
Okay good to know. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by asb2164 View Post
I have been putting my MOBI files in the books folder and they do not seem to show up until after I reboot my Fire.
When I sideload via USB they do show up in the reader app without a reboot. So there must be some notification event that triggers the rescan for ebooks, and unplugging USB sets that event.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Try synching maybe that will do it.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #14
gweminence
Fat Guy

Yeah, there must be something going on with the dropbox portion of things, maybe? Try sideloading a few, see what happens.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #15
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
Okay good to know. Thanks.
This means, also, that you can put a non-pdoc'd mobi into the docs folder, and it'll still show up under books, so it's very easy to arrive at the conclusion you did.