Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
penguintri
Enthusiast
penguintri began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
3.02 Slow Page turns

After installing the 3.02 I have noticed that my page turns and screen refresh are slower when I use my kindle for the first time after a period of non use, with a much longer black flash. However, they return to normal speed after a while of usage.

I'm not sure if this is just a problem with my particular kindle or is anyone else noticing this?

Thanks for your help
penguintri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Generally speaking, Kindle will re-index all of the content after an update. While it is doing this, things will be a little slow. To check indexing status, type '.' at the Home view and then Enter/Select. If it is still indexing, the first item in Search Results will indicate how many items are yet to index. If it is done, Search Results will show 'No Items'.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
penguintri
Enthusiast
penguintri began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
I have had 3.02 since it was release as a preview and it is definitely fully indexed. Unless it re indexes itself everyday after I start using it but I haven't noticed whenever I've searched. Maybe I best get in contact with Amazon CS.
penguintri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguintri View Post
I have had 3.02 since it was release as a preview and it is definitely fully indexed. Unless it re indexes itself everyday after I start using it but I haven't noticed whenever I've searched. Maybe I best get in contact with Amazon CS.
Do check the indexing anyway (I've been surprised to find some recalcitrant items). Also do a 'hard' restart by holding the power slider over for 30 seconds or so. Yesterday, I was experiencing slowness and eventually functional issues (no ability to search, not retaining reading location). Soft reset (Restart from Settings Menu) didn't clear this up, but hard reset did.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguintri View Post
After installing the 3.02 I have noticed that my page turns and screen refresh are slower when I use my kindle for the first time after a period of non use, with a much longer black flash. However, they return to normal speed after a while of usage.

I'm not sure if this is just a problem with my particular kindle or is anyone else noticing this?

Thanks for your help
I have noticed that to when I am reading very large ebooks (tech books). But I have not noticed it when reading a normal ebook (under a 1 meg in size). The large tech books are averaging around 10 megs in size.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I haven't had any problems.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
slugs
slugs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Try 3.0.3?
slugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was brave enough to install and try 3.0.3. What I have noticed:
1. contrast seem brighter to me
2. opening my large tech books seems faster
3. page turns seems faster

I have not had a chance to test WIFI or a browser and I do not have 3g.
But one thing that I did not remember happening with 3.0.2 was that the update ran two times and the restart happened two times. That bothered me.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@cvkemp: That's the crazy 3.0.x updates. They all did a crazy stunt like that (two step update with a reboot and an update process in the middle of the boot process).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life

Just did notice it when I did the 3.0.2. More than likely I had been side tracked by something.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
cuteseal
Enthusiast
cuteseal doesn't littercuteseal doesn't litter

Thanks for the heads up on 3.0.3 - will try it out now.
cuteseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
LeoBloom
LeoBloom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Any difference? I loaded one of the kindles up with 3.0.3 and it still had slow page turns. For me firmware 3.0.1 was the best, but my second kindle shipped with 3.0.2. Are there any directions on how to retrieve 3.0.1 from one kindle and load it onto another?
LeoBloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #13
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I got the 3.03 update as soon as it was available and hadn't had any problems with the slow page turns until yesterday. Nothing special going on with it, hadn't loaded any new books in it. Had put the Kindle down for an hour or so to do other things, turned it on and the slow page turns were there. A restart solves the problem, but I did let Amazon CS know about it via email.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #14
LUW
Ex-paperboy
LUW began at the beginning.

Thumbs up

Hey guys !
Long time since I've been around, but I FINALLY got my Kindle. Updated to 3.03 and the pages are turning faster now. I have two Kindles in front of me, one with 3.02 and one with 3.03, and the newer version is definitively faster to turn pages. Besides, pages are now with a bit more contrast .
LUW is offline   Reply With Quote