Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Are the 16GB Nook Tablets Selling?

How popular is this device and what do you think the "magic pricepoint" is that will cause sales to soar?
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
None of the companies release sales figures, so we don't know for sure. I didn't think I'd ever buy any tablet, but I bought a 16 GB Nook.

I like my NT. It works great for what I bought it for. I'm just not impressed with the B&N app store. Apps seem to be twice the price of apps on my Android phone and there's not much there. Magazine subscriptions that are available on the iPad and Kindle Fire are not available on the Nook. I've sent numerous emails to companies about getting their stuff available on the Nook. One told me B&N won't let them put their app in the store, but another said their magazine would be available in a couple months.

I would've bought a Kindle Fire, but no SD card slot killed the deal.

Last edited by kevinp; 03-31-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I would've bought a Kindle Fire, but no SD card slot killed the deal.
One of the advantages of the microSD card slot on the Nook, you can run a full version of Android (e.g. CM7) from microSD and access the Google Play Store without voiding your warranty.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
How popular is this device and what do you think the "magic pricepoint" is that will cause sales to soar?
Before the Kindle Fire, B&N has mentioned that the Nook Color was their most popular reader. Unfortunately, with the release of the Kindle Fire, I reckon their marketshare has dropped considerably.

As for the magic price, I would've said $100 but nowadays, it'll probably have to be cheaper. The Nook just doesn't have as big an ecosystem as the Fire has.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
One of the advantages of the microSD card slot on the Nook, you can run a full version of Android (e.g. CM7) from microSD and access the Google Play Store without voiding your warranty.
Yes, I just did this last night. It's running perfectly. I was so excited, I almost peed my pants! One downside is that the Nook for Android app doesn't support PDFs, but the Kindle app does!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
My wife just bought me a Nook Tablet with 16GB as a birthday gift. It came with the New York Times subscription, which was perfect. It allowed me to cancel my print subsription to the Times. She saved $100 on the tablet and I am saving $30/month on my Times subscription.

In addition, I had been thinking about upgrading our cell phones to smartphones for e-mail access while traveling. With the Nook Tablet, i don't need to do that so Idon't have to pay more for new cell phones that I really don't need or want and I don't have to commit to 2 years with a carrier; I can continue with my long-paid-for cell phones and month-to-month contract and also not have to pay for a data plan that i don't need or want.

Overall, the Nook Tablet has become quite a financial bargain and we both like the device.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Yes, I just did this last night. It's running perfectly. I was so excited, I almost peed my pants! One downside is that the Nook for Android app doesn't support PDFs, but the Kindle app does!
And if the Kindle app doesn't work all that well for you, there are plenty of PDF reader apps available on the Play Store.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Geekie
Tech Lover
Geekie began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
My wife just bought me a Nook Tablet with 16GB as a birthday gift. It came with the New York Times subscription, which was perfect. It allowed me to cancel my print subsription to the Times. She saved $100 on the tablet and I am saving $30/month on my Times subscription.

In addition, I had been thinking about upgrading our cell phones to smartphones for e-mail access while traveling. With the Nook Tablet, i don't need to do that so Idon't have to pay more for new cell phones that I really don't need or want and I don't have to commit to 2 years with a carrier; I can continue with my long-paid-for cell phones and month-to-month contract and also not have to pay for a data plan that i don't need or want.

Overall, the Nook Tablet has become quite a financial bargain and we both like the device.
Very interesting observation showing the money that you saved owning a Nook Tablet, I own a Nook Color which is quite useful to me but I have not quite thought about the savings in the way that you mentioned. Thanks for the post, another reason to luv this great device.
Geekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
joe-man
joe-man began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 2, iPad 2, iPod Touch, Nook Tablet
I have one of the 16 GB Nook Tablets, loaded with a 32 GB miniSD card, and my overall impression is:

It is really hard to overstate just how terrible the BN store is. The selection of apps is abysmal, and buying books there is a lot harder and less pleasant than on Amazon.

I got it mainly for testing, but because I already have the Kindle Fire, 16 GB iPad 2 and 8 GB iPod Touch, I figured I might as well have one portable with a large amount of storage space in case I am on a trip and want to bring videos or other types of media. Which still holds true.

However, on a day to day basis I rarely touch the Nook Tablet, whereas I use the Kindle Fire constantly. That 8GB storage limit is not very significant at all when I am within a wireless range because most of my media is either streamed from Amazon or transferred via Dropbox. The Amazon app store is probably 20 times larger than BN's, and book buying at Amazon is a piece of cake.

In my particular case, I do have Amazon Prime (incredible value program if it fits your needs!), and Dropbox is a key piece of my workflow from Mac-PC-iOS-Android etc, etc and back again. So for me, the Fire is one of the best things I own, my go-to consumption device for all activities that do not require typing.

Taking a trip outside of WiFi range, I will use the Nook Tablet - don't travel that much though.

So in answer to the question: I would put the Nook Tablet price point no higher than $100. Yeah, it holds 16GB: But there is hardly anything to load onto it. 2GB would have been plenty.
joe-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Does the 16gb version offer anything else over the 8gb version besides the extra 8gb for the $50 price difference?
If not, it seem rather ridiculous to pay that much more when you could stick in an 8GB or larger SD card for under $10.
The New York Times deal sound pretty good, if you were thinking of getting the Times any way.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Does the 16gb version offer anything else over the 8gb version besides the extra 8gb for the $50 price difference?
If not, it seem rather ridiculous to pay that much more when you could stick in an 8GB or larger SD card for under $10.
The New York Times deal sound pretty good, if you were thinking of getting the Times any way.
I was under the impression that there was more RAM as well.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #12
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The 16Gb model also has twice the RAM at 1Gb. For some applications that can make a significant difference, especially if you switch apps frequently.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I agree that selection of apps is abysmal but then I didn't buy the Tablet for apps.

As for the B&N store, I find it a much more pleasant experience than the Amazon store. Years ago I bought books at Amazon but then Amazon changed its store, for the worse in my opinion, and I started going to the B&N online store. I find the B&N store fits what I want much better.

Bottom line is that I do not think either store is necessarily better than the other. Rather, each appeals to a different type of buyer.

I should add that I have bought nearly 200 ebooks from the B&N store and have my daily NY Times subscription. I have not found it the least bit difficult to buy books or receive my Times from the B&N store.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
joe-man
joe-man began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 2, iPad 2, iPod Touch, Nook Tablet
For me, the BN store is more of a pain to navigate because the categorization works differently. The customer keeps getting bumped back to the starting point - I end up having to start my searches all over again all the time - rather than being able to go one "step" backward.

Also, in searching for apps, book titles are mixed in. Who knows what the rationale for that is, but it is annoying and seems like it would be a simple fix.

Finally, customer feedback is far less useful at BN. On certain items, I find ratings and reviews very helpful.

Just my opinion.
joe-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #15
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I bought an n2a card for my Nook Tablet and love it. So easy.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote