Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
Aydan
Connoisseur
Aydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with others

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch Experience so far

I got my Kobo Touch on Thursday and it's been a good experience so far.
But it has a few quirks of course. I'm using the 1.9.16 Firmware.

Findings:
1. I have the double tap problem as mentioned in the firmware thread.
It seems that it depends on the length of the tap. The longer the tap the less likely the problem occurs.

2. I'm missing custom folders/collections

3. WLAN management needs an uverhaul. I'd expect to be able to add new WLAN connections even if I'm in range of a registered hotspot. Right now you can only choose a new hotspot if theres no known ones in range.

4. I was unable to connect to my cellphone's WLAN. It was visible but didn't accept the WEP password. Other devices (iPhone, HTC) could connect.

5. I was unable to connect to a WLAN router with WPA. The password was not accepted. I could connect to it with the same password with my cellphone and my laptop. I could connect to another router though. Both use WPA2-PSK

6. The bookmarks and annotations dialog should open to the nearest bookmark/annotation to the currently displayed page. Right now it always opens to the first page. If you have a long book with lots of annotations this gets annoying.

7. Why can I only connect to a WLAN after I have registered a Kobo-account?

I hope that these points get addressed sometime in the near future.
All in all it's a good reader with room for improvement.

You Kobo-guys keep up the good work and keep the updates coming.

Regards
Aydan
Aydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
touring
Connoisseur
touring began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Do any of your passwords have special characters?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they cause problems on the Kobo

And +1 for your point 7.
The only benefit I see in getting an account is to get firmware.
The downside is getting spammed by them constantly about their specials (unsubscibe doesn't work so you have to write a mail filter) and getting preview books thrust on you that you may not want
touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

I have never subscribed to any newsletter and never received a single spam-mail from Kobo, though I registered the device the regular way. Strange how different experiences with the same company and device can be...
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
reader12345
reader12345 began at the beginning.

KOBO DEc 23 update lousy

Does not maintain bookmarks

Filled with un-wanted junk and given no choices to opt out (homepage crap)

freezes on word lookup

slower page turning

NOT the KOBO Touch I want to own...fine before update..now garbage
reader12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Many of those issues sound like a corrupted database on the Kobo Touch.

You might want to try a factory reset and reload books.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Aydan
Connoisseur
Aydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring View Post
Do any of your passwords have special characters?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they cause problems on the Kobo
No special characters. Just letters and numbers.
Aydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The only benefit I see in getting an account is to get firmware.
The downside is getting spammed by them constantly about their specials (unsubscibe doesn't work so you have to write a mail filter) and getting preview books thrust on you that you may not want
You realize that Kobo isn't in the business of selling ereaders; it's in the business of selling books. The KT is just the vehicle you use to purchase and consume their product. I would guess that the margin on the KT is very low, and they are hoping you will purchase some books from them. When you look at it from that perspective, some of their design decisions make more sense.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Many of those issues sound like a corrupted database on the Kobo Touch.

You might want to try a factory reset and reload books.
But then you lose the pleasure of posting rants about how terrible the company is...
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
BigJ
BigJ began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reader12345 View Post
Does not maintain bookmarks

Filled with un-wanted junk and given no choices to opt out (homepage crap)

freezes on word lookup

slower page turning

NOT the KOBO Touch I want to own...fine before update..now garbage
I got my touch just before Christmas and had freezes on word lookup with the old 1.9.14 firmware. Have to turn the device off (not sleep) to get the screen functioning properly. It's starting to get irritating now.

Doing a factory reset didn't help
BigJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
touring
Connoisseur
touring began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by voom View Post
I have never subscribed to any newsletter and never received a single spam-mail from Kobo
lucky you!
Perhaps they aren't ready for the German market yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latch View Post
You realize that Kobo isn't in the business of selling ereaders
That is very clear. But in many countries it is illegal to send spam mail that is clearly unwanted. If I want to shop with Kobo, then I will (and have), but don't want their sales emails after I have unsubscribed three times
touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #11
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You realize that Kobo isn't in the business of selling ereaders; it's in the business of selling books. The KT is just the vehicle you use to purchase and consume their product. I would guess that the margin on the KT is very low, and they are hoping you will purchase some books from them. When you look at it from that perspective, some of their design decisions make more sense.
So, being in the business of selling books allows one to spam your prospective customers?

I don't know your business background but, when a company is a pretty distant third or fourth placed in a competitive market, deliberately annoying potential customers doesn't strike me as a particularly sensible "design decision".
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

Amazon is the poster child for this business model... Know what? I can buy a kindle, sideload the latest firmware update, throw on my collectoin of mobi's and I'm up and running with no fuss whatsoever.

Kobo's management direction has turned into the squeegee guy at the stop lights.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Indeed. Selling a buggy, at times frustrating to use, ereader seems like a poor way to sell ebooks.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote