Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-20-2023, 02:15 PM   #1
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Why does Kobo do this?

Sleeping
Charging 86%

Are bigger fonts more expensive?

I don't know how to do subscripts, it would look more realistic.
LordP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 03:06 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Charging % is inaccurate when it's sleeping?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2023, 03:13 PM   #3
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, it is so small that I need a magnifying glass to make it out - and I wear glasses!!
Old 04-20-2023, 04:47 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP View Post
No, it is so small that I need a magnifying glass to make it out - and I wear glasses!!
What I meant was that they don't really want you to read it because it's inaccurate.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 05:01 PM   #5
LordP
Zealot

Whooosh. I totally missed that.
Advert
Old 04-20-2023, 06:32 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You can always turn off the info panel on full screen covers so you won't see it to be annoyed by it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 06:09 AM   #7
LordP
Zealot

@DNSB "You can always turn off the info panel on full screen covers so you won't see it to be annoyed by it."

Yes, I'm sure that's a lot better than actually making that number legible.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:31 AM   #8
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Try the Beta Features Large Print Mode, this might help.

Go to the Home Page, Click the More icon, click the Beta Features.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 11:36 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@DNSB "You can always turn off the info panel on full screen covers so you won't see it to be annoyed by it."

Yes, I'm sure that's a lot better than actually making that number legible.
Given that my Kobos live in sleep covers, I seldom see the sleep screen so whether the numbers are legible is a matter of total indifference to me.

As many people have complained about over the years, the charged percentage on the info panel seldom has any connection to the actual batter charge state making it rather useless.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:15 PM   #10
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Anyway, mine is showing percent READ, not percent charged (when not charging, I guess).

Also, setting Large Print mode to 140% knocks off a couple of the home screen panels. I like a simpler layout.

Last edited by Calenorn; 05-02-2023 at 12:19 PM.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 07:50 AM   #11
LordP
Zealot

"Given that my Kobos live in sleep covers, I seldom see the sleep screen so whether the numbers are legible is a matter of total indifference to me."

Good for you. However, I'm not sure "Kobos live in sleep covers" is as universal as you think - I never use sleep covers because I feel it defeats the purpose of the device being lightweight. I despise them, and I don't imagine for one second that I'm the only one who does.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:43 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
"Given that my Kobos live in sleep covers, I seldom see the sleep screen so whether the numbers are legible is a matter of total indifference to me."

Good for you. However, I'm not sure "Kobos live in sleep covers" is as universal as you think - I never use sleep covers because I feel it defeats the purpose of the device being lightweight. I despise them, and I don't imagine for one second that I'm the only one who does.
I won't argue with some people not liking sleep covers—chacun à son goût. After all, there are still people who argue against wearing seat belts and motorcycle helmets.

I prefer having my ereaders in covers for the protection they give the screen and their ability to automatically sleep/wake my ereaders. Since my ereader in use lives either in my laptop bag where there are quite a few items that could damage the screen or in a jacket pocket where they could easily be bumped, I do appreciate the protection offered by the sleep cover.

As for the weight? 90%+ of my hardcovers and a good percentage of my paperbacks outweigh my Sage in it's sleep cover. E.g. my hardcover of Greg Bear's Anvil of Stars weighs in at 585g, my hardcover of David Weber's In Fury Born weighs in at 1089g and my paperback of Peter Watt's Blind Sight weighs in at 430g while my Sage in it's sleepcover weighs in at 402g. I picked those 3 books since they were on top of a box of books that I am giving away.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:57 PM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
... my Sage in it's sleepcover weighs in at 402g. ...
Holy cannoli thats's heavy! That's more than 2X the weight of a Forma. But to each their own. After all, there are a lot of masochists in the world.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:17 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Holy cannoli thats's heavy! That's more than 2X the weight of a Forma. But to each their own. After all, there are a lot of masochists in the world.
A certain love for comparing apples and oranges?

What is the weight of a Forma in a sleep cover? For mine, the scale says 328g in it's Kobo sleep cover. Again, a lot less than a hardcover and most paperbacks in my collection. and 74g less than my Sage (2.61 ounces for those who don't handle metric conversions internally). Which also lets me know the Sage cover is heavier than the Forma cover by ~30g which may be why it has lasted better.

Do you also consider the weight of a Sage without it's cover at 241g as being massively heavier than a Forma at 197g? Or compare either to my my iPad Pro which clocks in at 682g without it's cover. Or compare reading Stephen King's The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition in it's hardcover edition. Not quite up to the single volume edition of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy but either are handy if you even need a door stop.
Old 05-06-2023, 04:38 AM   #15
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
My Libra2 sleep cover weighs in at 133g. Chucking the reader in my backpack or tote bag I want some protection for the screen and I think it's 133g well spent. Having said that, depending on where I read, I often pop the reader out of the cover. Easy enough.
But hey, whatever makes anyone else comfortable is good!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote