Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
scaryt
scaryt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Can I use my mobile phone ac adapter for my pocket reader?

My motorola ac adapter fits the same slot I would use to charge it using the USB cord. Could I just charge it using this? Or will I kill it??
scaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
I tried using mine a couple of times and it didn't work there must be something different about the way the devices charge.
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
scaryt
scaryt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Aaah, thought it might be too good to be true. It'll have to be a psp charger then!
scaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I used to use my Motorola Razr wall charger for my mp3 player and it was fine. I did it (actually, by accident) even here in Japan, where the voltage is different. I wouldn't do that with my reader because it's a lot more expensive, but, it might work.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by el.astrologo View Post
there must be something different about the way the devices charge.
I'm using my PSPs charger. Works like a breeze. For other chargers, as long as it has the same voltage and polarity, the reader at least shouldn't get damaged (but I'm not reliable for any mishaps though). It could be that the psp charger has some electronics that shuts off charging as soon as the battery is full while with the motorola charger it could be that this is the phones part (or vice versa).
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
jagfan
jagfan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I found my ancient HP Ipaq charger and found it has the same specs. Works fine. My hording paid off.
jagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I found out the hard way (was on holiday) that I could not charge my Sony 600 via the USB when using USB/wall charger. And I had it confirmed somewhere here on the forum that it cannot be done. This would have to be my only gripe with the reader - everything else is fine. But that's one stupid setup for the user. Great for Sony as they get to sell another charger though.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
my only concern about using non-known charging methods is the potential to reverse the polarity and screw up the e-reader. If you know the polarity and the voltage matches you should be ok.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:33 AM   #9
nimble
nimble began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
What about an eeepc charger, any joy there?
nimble is offline   Reply With Quote