Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I would think you would have to register it to your account first but maybe you could as delphidb96 about his experience.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #17
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'd just call Amazon and ask the CSR your question. If they say that the cost is going to be $180, then tell the seller that you won't pay more than $20, since you can get a refurb for $219. If they will send a replacement, then I'd say up to $150 would be a fair price.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #18
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I'd just call Amazon and ask the CSR your question. If they say that the cost is going to be $180, then tell the seller that you won't pay more than $20, since you can get a refurb for $219. If they will send a replacement, then I'd say up to $150 would be a fair price.
Would I be able to accurately describe the problem, though? Wouldn't they want me to do something to the Kindle? Is it okay to say that I am not the original owner of the Kindle?
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #19
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
Would I be able to accurately describe the problem, though? Wouldn't they want me to do something to the Kindle? Is it okay to say that I am not the original owner of the Kindle?
If you described it as the screen has black bars running horizontally across it and were just up front as to why you were calling (to get an idea of how much the unit will cost tomake right) then I would think that they could at least give you an idea of what they will do.

If you get a null answer, just hang up and re-dial. Sometimes the CSR's aren't as good as the overall quality we expect from Amazon, and you have to try a couple times to get someone who knows what they can do.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #20
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
good grief man! you're buying a known broken device off of ebay! this is taking a walk on the wild side! you seem to be asking everyone to script out the scenario for you! either take the leap or take a pass!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #21
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
good grief man! you're buying a known broken device off of ebay! this is taking a walk on the wild side! you seem to be asking everyone to script out the scenario for you! either take the leap or take a pass!
Calm down, dude. There's nothing wrong with asking the advice of the community to see if it's a good buy or not. I'm not one of those impulse buyers. Something may seem like a good deal on the surface, but may not be.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #22
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I don't have a problem with you asking advice, but at every answer you came back with a "what if? what if?" reminded me of my kids with their "whys...." my best answer then was "to make you ask questions". so poop or get off the pot
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #23
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
The refurbished units of the K2 come with a new 1 year warranty and 30 day money back guarantee. Some buyers just bought the refurbished K2 for $189 a couple of days ago. Price is back at $219, but will probably come back down soon.

The refurbished are such a good deal, that I can't see buying a broken Kindle from someone you don't know and with all the bother that goes with it.

Last edited by luvshihtzu; 11-25-2009 at 05:00 PM.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #24
John T.
John T. began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
As said above, I'd contact Amazon, explain the situation a bit and get my choices right. With that info in mind, I'd try to have a more accurate idea of the problem by asking the seller again specific questions. If you still don't know what might happen once you buy this thing, then just go somewhere else or offer $30 or something.

Point is: do you really want to gamble on this ? I wouldn't, but of course it's a question only you can answer.
John T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #25
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
I think the seller just doesn't have the time or have the want. Some people don't like the idea of sitting on the phone with customer service all day, even though to me it's not a big deal.

I can already purchase Kindle books through the app on the iphone, so being able to get Kindle books isn't a big deal for me.
It seems more likely to me that the seller tried to get it replaced under warranty and Amazon wouldn't do it, therefore he is trying to sell. Sure, there are some people who can't be bothered to contact tech support over a dead gadget, but those people usually don't try to sell it on ebay at a reduced rate, either. If they don't care about the money enough to deal with Amazon for $250, why are they bothering to deal with ebay for $25?

Personally, I would rather buy a refurbished Kindle than deal with this. If it's just a screen replacement, it's $180 but what if there's more wrong with it? Plus you have the shipping from the seller and you will likely have to pay shipping both ways for the repair (that I don't know for sure since I've never done it). Refurbs are $39 more than the $180 screen replacement cost so that's not a lot to cover the payment to the seller and all the shipping for something that may still be a risk. In the best case scenario where you get it replaced in warranty, it's a sweet deal otherwise I think it's pretty much a wash with a refurb and that's if you can get the seller to take a very low price. I just don't think that ideal scenario is the most likely.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote