Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Zones of thought question

First, I want to thank all of you who have recommended A fire upon the deep. Though I like to read science-fiction a lot, I had never heard about this book before hearing it praised here. I'm currently reading it now, and, wow, what a book! It had been a long time since I'd been enthralled by a book to this extent.

My question is, is A deepness in the sky a direct sequel of the first book (i.e., taking place just after the end of the first book or shortly after, involving the same characters, etc.), or is it more a book set in the same universe, but not directly a sequel?

I'm asking because in the first case I'll read it very quickly in order to remember accurately the details of the first book, but if it's just a book set in the same universe, I'll probably read a few books before reading this one, to return to this universe with a fresh eye.

(PS: Please don't post spoilers about the first book, as I'm not done reading it yet.)
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I read Fire, but not Deepness... my understanding of it is that Deepness is more of a prequel. It's set 30,000 years in the past and follows the Qeng Ho.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Oh Fun! Those are 2 of my all time faves! Book 2 is absolutely different, with the only thing really in common is the universe. It won't hurt to wait a while before Deepness, but don't wait too long - you will just make yourself delay the pleasure of reading a wonderful story!

And they both are even better the 2nd time you read them. Too much to absorb in one reading. Enjoy!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Yes... "A Deepness..." is a prequel, that happens before the events in "A Fire...". 20.000 years earlier.

It is as good as the other one. Very different, though.

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Since you are reading Vinge, you should toss Marooned in Realtime on the stack.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
There's also a short story The Blabber, included in The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Same universe but a different story set much earlier. You'll feel some slightly comfortable familiarity. Glad you like Fire Upon The Deep! Agree with the previous poster, Vinge's Marooned in Realtime and The Peace War are not too shabby either. It's on my list of personal favorite sci-fi. Which in case you're interested since you sound as excited about Fire as I was, lessee if I can find it...
*copy and paste*

My personal favorite sci/fi, not supposed to be the most influential or most important or "the best" which really should always vary by a reader's taste, just to my taste.

Gateway - Pohl
Fire Upon The Deep - Vinge
Rendezvous With Rama - Clarke
Downbelow Station - Cherryh
Startide Rising - Brin
The Uplift War - Brin
Deepness In The Sky - Vinge
The Pride of Chanur and followup trilogy - Cherryh
The Mote In God's Eye - Niven
Titan - Varley
Ringworld - Niven
Foundation Trilogy - Asimov
Beyond The Blue Event Horizon - Pohl
Dune - Herbert
Ender's Game - Card
Speaker For The Dead - Card
1st 5 or 6 books of Zelazny's Amber series
The Forever War - Haldeman
Forever Peace - Haldeman
The Forbidden Tower - Bradley
Hyperion - Simmons
Barrayar - Bujold
The Many-Colored Land - May
Jem - Pohl

Last edited by wayspooled; 10-01-2009 at 08:51 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I enjoyed A Fire on the Deep very much. The concept of Zones of thought is a fascinating one... though I think Vinge missed the fact that Political Centers seem to be gateways into the unthinking depths .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I enjoyed A Fire on the Deep very much. The concept of Zones of thought is a fascinating one... though I think Vinge missed the fact that Political Centers seem to be gateways into the unthinking depths .

--
Bill

DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I don't see any reason to read in one order or the other. They don't depend on each other in any way. It was neat seeing the Qeng Ho fleshed out in the second but it was more a feeling of familiarity, as noted above, than a necessary plot to know.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #11
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Thanks for the answers!
I'll definitely read A deepness in the sky and other books by Vinge mentioned in this thread, but I'll let some time pass to be sure to appreciate them fully (I tend to 'overdose' on some authors if I rush and read too many of their books too fast).

wayspooled, among the books you cite some are also from my favorite:
Ender's Game, the first five books of the Amber series, and Hyperion.
Others I've read I found enjoyable but not terrific (except for the Bujold books which I didn't enjoy very much).
I'll check out the others.

Other of my favorite sci-fi books include
Songmasters - Card
Red Mars - Robinson
The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy - Adams
The face of the waters - Silverberg
Les guerriers du silence - Bordge ('The silence warriors', French book, don't know if it's been translated to English).
Old 10-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
wayspooled, among the books you cite some are also from my favorite:
Ender's Game, the first five books of the Amber series, and Hyperion.
Others I've read I found enjoyable but not terrific (except for the Bujold books which I didn't enjoy very much).
I'll check out the others.
I ran out of steam on the Bujold books after a few. The one I liked the most was Barrayar, which was the story of the mother of the main character of the rest of the books. I found that very interesting. I didn't dislike the later ones and honestly I haven't read the last 3, but Barrayar stood out, for me anyway. I thought she was a very good writer, I just couldn't get quite as enthusiastic about Cordelia's son as I was about her.

Last edited by wayspooled; 10-02-2009 at 12:11 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #13
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
I ran out of steam on the Bujold books after a few. The one I liked the most was Barrayar, which was the story of the mother of the main character of the rest of the books. I found that very interesting. I didn't dislike the later ones and honestly I haven't read the last 3, but Barrayar stood out, for me anyway. I thought she was a very good writer, I just couldn't get quite as enthusiastic about Cordelia's son as I was about her.
Well I think the tone of the two books centered on Cordelia is a bit different: the first one is very much a straight up romance novel with Science Fiction Elements. The second one is rather serious.

The Miles books on the other hand are... well all over the map. Some are practically farces, others are mysteries, others war stories... even a comedy of manners in there. I have enjoyed all of the books, but I have to admit, you never know what you are going to get until you pick it up.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
Thanks for the answers!
except for the Bujold books which I didn't enjoy very much
She's also written two other series (The Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls, and The Hallowed Hunt; and Beguiled, Legacy, Passage, and Horizon) which are more fantasy than SF. I prefer them to the Vorkosigan series and am reading through the second series for the fourth or fifth time.

There is also the Spirit Ring which is more a young adult fantasy, which I didn't like quite as much.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
chlorine
Addict

Yes, I learned recently about her fantasy series, and they seem like they might be more interesting to me than the Vorkosigan books (which are the only books by her I've read).
I think I'll check these out in some time (once I'm out of other interesting books to read, bwahaha