Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #31
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I once came across a biography of Marie Antionette where her lover was referred to throughout as 'Alex Fersen.' (Obviously the spellchecker couldn't cope with Count Axel Ferson.)

I still get a bit cross every time I read the first page of Jane Austen's Emma. Emma is described as being the youngest of two sisters. Didn't they have the same rules about comparatives and superlatives in the Regency period?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #32
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I once came across a biography of Marie Antionette where her lover was referred to throughout as 'Alex Fersen.' (Obviously the spellchecker couldn't cope with Count Axel Ferson.)

I still get a bit cross every time I read the first page of Jane Austen's Emma. Emma is described as being the youngest of two sisters. Didn't they have the same rules about comparatives and superlatives in the Regency period?
Ha!! You are right! I never noticed that ... which shows you how much that sort of grammatical error bothers me.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #33
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
[SPOILER BELOW]

Putting aside the seeming-prescience of the plot turn that enabled it, there is a detail in a book in a series that had me throw it aside and never lift another by the author off the shelf:

Spoiler:
Jack Ryan = President

Ugh. I feel a little sick.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #34
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post

Spoiler:
Jack Ryan = President

Cheers,
Marc
Good for you. I had to actually read the crap he wrote after that novel before I learned my lesson. Believe me, you missed nothing.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:01 AM   #35
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I always pretend to myself that such books take place in an alternate universe where technological advancement proceeded along different lines. So sure, space travel with analog computers, why not? We're already suspending disbelief. Up the ante.

How's this for a nit-pick? Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nymh. During the conversation about plowing, the shrew asks Mrs. Frisby, "Remember in the spring of sixty-five? He plowed on the eleventh of March, and on a Sunday at that."

In 1965, March 11 fell on a Thursday, not a Sunday.

(not my own, I found that online)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
It's the kind of nit I love to pick ... although, I probably wouldn't notice that one myself. I only remember those dates and days of the week that were somehow of screaming importance to me ... and 3/11/65 wasn't one of those.

It's a nit-pick, but if in an alternate universe, why can't Sunday be on a Thursday.
And according to Einstein's law of Relativity, the further and faster one travels there is a chance that by the time you reach where ever you are going, that today may be tomorrow, or the day before that...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2008, 03:18 AM   #36
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
How's this for a nit-pick? Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nymh. During the conversation about plowing, the shrew asks Mrs. Frisby, "Remember in the spring of sixty-five? He plowed on the eleventh of March, and on a Sunday at that."
In 1965, March 11 fell on a Thursday, not a Sunday.
I tend not to regard 'mistakes' in dialogue as problemmatic.

People misremember stuff in real life conversations all the time, so why not allow them to in novels?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #37
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
And after all, it was a talking shrew.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #38
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I like the way you think/thought/thunk. Have you considered joining the campaign to elect Pshrynk as Prez in 2004? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...647#post197647

Every vote counts, and some count for more than others!
Vote early and often.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:56 AM   #39
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
No need to vote early. It's time travel, man. Take as long as you like. Take your time.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #40
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Oh, because the bar sinister was for the illegitimate sons?? I can see that, although I don't think most children would be aware of that one, or rather, of the connotation.
A lot of those 60's cartoons were quite subversive. The Simon Bar Sinister character in Underdog being one of them. Watch re-runs of Rocky and Bullwinkle and you'll drop your teeth at the innuendoes and frankly sexual tones set by the dialogue, all the while being perfectly entertaining for the littluns. Today's cartoons are a pale ghost of what we have had in the past.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #41
pshrynk

Quote:
No need to vote early. It's time travel, man. Take as long as you like. Take your time.
True. True. I once voted in haste in Ohio in 1994 and helped usher in the Republican Revolution.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #42
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
The only reason I have started to read "Angels and Demons" and "The DaVinci Code" was that I found out that the catholic church has put the books "on the idex" - that means that the church does not want its members to read the books. Wow! A forbiden book. Let us find out why ...

I know next to nothing about the art and I am not vere well versed in the catholic church history, so I have read the books. There are some details that might spoil the story for a reader that is less tolarant than myself, but ... I have definitely read worse books. You have to take fiction books with a grain of salt anyway.

than I have made a mistake by starting to read The Digital Fortress http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Fortress.
Holy $DEITY!
Such a piece of total, utter, absolute, mind-boggling, ULTIMATE technical illiteracy!
If you know something - anything - about cryptography, computers, or technics in general, DO NOT READ THE BOOK.
And this is not just about lots and lots and lots (all of them!) of small details that author obviously does not understand at all. The base of the plot itself - that you can somehow "poison" the chipher breaking supercomputer and to destroy it *physically* just by feeding it a specially crafted "bad" input data.

I have totally lost any respect for anything Mr. Brown might ever write again.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One of my pet peeves - in David Webber's "Honor Harrington" series, there's a group of people who speak German (I forget their name off-hand). The German is horribly "wrong".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #44
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
A lot of those 60's cartoons were quite subversive. The Simon Bar Sinister character in Underdog being one of them. Watch re-runs of Rocky and Bullwinkle and you'll drop your teeth at the innuendoes and frankly sexual tones set by the dialogue, all the while being perfectly entertaining for the littluns. Today's cartoons are a pale ghost of what we have had in the past.
That's one reason (among many) that I loved Rocky & Bullwinkle and still love it to this day.

I remember having one of their comic books (I must have been about 10) and thinking it was the coolest thing in the world that the characters would move around ... on the page, but outside of the frames of the cartoon boxes. For example, if they needed to escape from Fearless Leader, they would tear a hole in one of the frames, and jump down into the one below.

That single comic opened my mind up to whole new worlds. That (for me) was my first "think outside the box" moment.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #45
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
[SPOILER BELOW]

Putting aside the seeming-prescience of the plot turn that enabled it, there is a detail in a book in a series that had me throw it aside and never lift another by the author off the shelf:

Spoiler:
Jack Ryan = President

Cheers,
Marc

While that fact did not put me off his books completely, I stopped buying his books after the Bear and the Dragon. Ugh! Sausage? that was horrible. And his other books that came after that which I skimmed in the Library confirmed my decision.

However I still love my copy of Red Storm Rising (On my 4th copy), and
Still enjoy his earlier works.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote