Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
What is it with Phillip K Dick?

I just saw a(nother) recommendation praising Phillip K Dick. I just don't get it. I've read a lot of his short stories (or tried to) and they just come across to me as lame. The do not draw me in, engage me in any sort of way. The characters seems two dimensional and very unreal.

I admit I've not read "The Man in the High Castle" maybe that is different better? Given what I have read of his, I really have little desire to tackle it.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i've only ever read Man in the High Castle. i don't remember an iota of it.

however the movies based on his stuff are good. i'll eventually sit down and give reading his work a concerted effort.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I'm with you, Kenny, and no, Man in the High Castle isn't any better.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Some of his stuff is excellent. "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" is splendid.

But if his stuff doesn't work for you, go for work by writers that you do like.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
The only PKD work I've ever read & enjoyed is "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep." I've tried other novels & SS - they too strike me as flat & boring.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So far, I've only read the short story Beyond the Door. I liked it and I've got Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? pretty high on my potential list. Based on the comments of kennyc and poohbear_nc, it might be the only title I read from the author, but then given the number of authors that I have read 0 books of, 1 is a lot.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That is how I feel about Heinlein. I know that I should like his stuff, but I just do not. It is too "preachy" for my taste.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
He's like Stephen King. He can blow your mind or make your eyes roll right out of your head. Sometimes in the same book.

Try Ubik, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and the Valis Trilogy.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
i used to be a heinlein fan, but then i grew up. his adult novels suck, imo.

i was never a fan of dick. :0
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
Kymmmm
Connoisseur
Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color and Simple Touch
I suppose they are a bit dated now and so is their writing style. 1950's, 60's?
A more ignorant and trusting age. Heinlein definitely had his 'Daddy' issues and it showed. I bet he was cranky that Hubbard actually got his religion off the ground whereas R.H's never got past the 'grok' disciples.

Kymmmm
Kymmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #11
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
He's like Stephen King. He can blow your mind or make your eyes roll right out of your head. Sometimes in the same book.

Try Ubik, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and the Valis Trilogy.
By now Three Stigmata should be recognized as literature. Dick's work can be divided into discrete categories, the books he wrote so he could eat, and the books he wrote to explore his cosmology. The former category includes things like Vulcan's Hammer and the Simulacrum, but even those "inferior" works contain the germ of his overriding themes - in fact some of those books are the playgrounds in which he begins to explore his most interesting themes.

I don't think you should completely write off his works until you've read _A Scanner Darkly_, _Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep_, _The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, _UBIK_, and _The Man In The High Castle_.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
I've read tons of his short stories. I can appreciate how imaginative and groundbreaking they were when they were published, in concept if not in execution. He's more often praised for his ideas than his prose.

But so many of his stories have become tv shows and movies over the last 40 years that his stories have almost become cliche by now. I wouldn't recommend him in general, but if you're interested in classic SF or the history of SF, then he is required reading.
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I think it is that that "gets" me. He does explore some interesting ideas/angles, but I just can't get past the (lack of) character and storytelling.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #14
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
His blaah factor is directly proportional to the length of the story.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
His blaah factor is directly proportional to the length of the story.

"......................I don't think you should completely write off his works until you've read _A Scanner Darkly_, _Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep_, _The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, _UBIK_, and _The Man In The High Castle_. "

Tried most of them at one stage or another, couldn't see it I'm afraid.
I only recently decided to stop thinking I "ought to try again" ..........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote