Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #31
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Okay. I have to have an epub reader that displays styles correctly. Right now Mantano does this wonderfully with Cool Reader and Nook being the other ones.
I understand. I like cool reader as well, but mantano always scared me off with initially the $15 cost and now the $7.49. I am going to play with the free one for a while and cogitate on it for a while

Truth be told I need to start reading(and stop playing) on my Fire
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #32
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
That did it. It was set to sync /mnt. That was the parent folder for SDcard. So I'm guessing it was scanning my whole usable partition. I set it to sync with ebooks folder. That's probably the one I'll use if I load any epub books.

Thanks
Carol
Can you tell me exactly how one sets a sync folder? I see no such option in settings, only the option to tap on the sync icon for manually syncing (which shows /mnt/sdcard/ ).

Thank you.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #33
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Can you tell me exactly how one sets a sync folder? I see no such option in settings, only the option to tap on the sync icon for manually syncing (which shows /mnt/sdcard/ ).

Thank you.
Go to settings/my books/sync folders. There will be an 'x' on the right side to delete the sync folder. And there is a plus sign at the bottom. When you click on the plus sign a window will pop up with your folders. Put a check in the box of the folder you want to sync.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #34
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

Thank you.
To set up synching
Go to Settings/My Books/Synch Folders then hit the + Add Folder button. To remove a folder hit the x icon next to the folder's name. It's good to remove the /mnt from the list and add your own folders. There is no auto sync.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
OK. Done. But I don't think I should have to do this each time I use the app. The app should close out on it's own. I think I read in one of the other threads that the paid version of Mantano doesn't do this.

Carol
The way android works is that it load the apps and they stay "running" unless you start something else and memory is full. It is not doing anything when it's in that state, just taking up memory, like a swapped out process in a mainframe or desktop computer. You can actually "kill" the app if you go into the configuration (upper right - more - applications - all applications) and kill it, but it will not remember your current status if you do.

If you bring it back up from the background it should go right back where it was when you switched tasks.

BTW I just downloaded and installed this app as well as Aldiko (they finally fixed the rotation crash!) and I'm liking it - Mantano so far but have not done much with it yet.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-29-2011 at 09:03 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #36
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Go to settings/my books/sync folders. There will be an 'x' on the right side to delete the sync folder. And there is a plus sign at the bottom. When you click on the plus sign a window will pop up with your folders. Put a check in the box of the folder you want to sync.

Carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
To set up synching
Go to Settings/My Books/Synch Folders then hit the + Add Folder button. To remove a folder hit the x icon next to the folder's name. It's good to remove the /mnt from the list and add your own folders. There is no auto sync.
Boy, don't know how I missed that. Thanks!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #37
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The way android works is that it load the apps and they stay "running" unless you start something else and memory is full. It is not doing anything when it's in that state, just taking up memory, like a swapped out process in a mainframe or desktop computer. You can actually "kill" the app if you go into the configuration (upper right - more - applications - all applications) and kill it, but it will not remember your current status if you do.

If you bring it back up from the background it should go right back where it was when you switched tasks.

BTW I just downloaded and installed this app as well as Aldiko (they finally fixed the rotation crash!) and I'm liking it - Mantano so far but have not done much with it yet.
Thanks for the explanation Kenny. Since I changed the sync setting to only sync with the one folder, it doesn't stay running anymore. Before it was set to sync with /mnt which is the parent folder of the sdcard, so I think it was scanning my whole usable partition.

Most of my books are .mobi so I really don't use Mantano. I was trying to get some newsfeeds from Calibre. I had them sent to my email address as epubs cause the mobis didn't show up good. But now I found an app called US Newspapers. It links to the papers' web site and you can add your own sites too.

It's nice to know I have Mantano if I want it for something in epub that doesn't show up right in mobi. I like choices.

Carol
Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #38
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Boy, don't know how I missed that. Thanks!
It's easy to miss. The plus sign is small. At least for my eyes it is.

Carol
Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #39
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation Kenny. Since I changed the sync setting to only sync with the one folder, it doesn't stay running anymore. Before it was set to sync with /mnt which is the parent folder of the sdcard, so I think it was scanning my whole usable partition.

Most of my books are .mobi so I really don't use Mantano. I was trying to get some newsfeeds from Calibre. I had them sent to my email address as epubs cause the mobis didn't show up good. But now I found an app called US Newspapers. It links to the papers' web site and you can add your own sites too.

It's nice to know I have Mantano if I want it for something in epub that doesn't show up right in mobi. I like choices.

Carol
Ah, I see that others answered, I was kinda late to the table. But have been working with android for a while. It does have a few quirks but is getting better with every release. And as Blossom mentioned some apps can actually be running in the background -- particularly things like maps, weather, gps(not valid on the Fire) etc. if that option is not disabled in the app. I know some people had that issue with the WeatherBug app which would constantly update it's data in the background if you let it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #40
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Ah, I see that others answered, I was kinda late to the table. But have been working with android for a while. It does have a few quirks but is getting better with every release. And as Blossom mentioned some apps can actually be running in the background -- particularly things like maps, weather, gps(not valid on the Fire) etc. if that option is not disabled in the app. I know some people had that issue with the WeatherBug app which would constantly update it's data in the background if you let it.
I'm new to Android. This is my first Android Device. I have an iPhone and Windows PCs.

Carol
Old 11-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #41
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Some apps like email, RSS Readers, Weather apps and other things that keep tracks of thing via the web will stay running in the background. These are okay to leave running.

I found the Nook app likes to stay running too so I got rid of it. It's bad enough I have to be connected WiFi to import my sideloaded books through their synch option I feel like I am being spied on but it wont close either.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #42
yogibare143
Tolkien Rules!
yogibare143 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3, kindle Fire
Blossom

Have let Mantano stay running in Applications for a few days with no problems. I'm just going to leave it alone since I really like reader. Since it stay's running anyway I just hit Home instead of using back arrow. That way it goes to last page read in current book I'm reading. Sent two emails to Mantano and never heard back from them. Don't think much of their support. I just wanted to Thank you for your help.

Mark
yogibare143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #43
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibare143 View Post
Blossom

Have let Mantano stay running in Applications for a few days with no problems. I'm just going to leave it alone since I really like reader. Since it stay's running anyway I just hit Home instead of using back arrow. That way it goes to last page read in current book I'm reading. Sent two emails to Mantano and never heard back from them. Don't think much of their support. I just wanted to Thank you for your help.

Mark
Yeah it's easier to get support through the Mantano thread here. GregoryP posts from time to time on it letting us know what is going on with the app.