Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
IsabeauG
NKTB
IsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo
Unable to upload books from Sony etc.

I have found books on other sites, including Sony, Kindle, Zinio that I wanted to read. I can download these books to my computer using their applications, and can read on my computer. With the Sony app, the instructions say I'm supposed to connect my ereader via the Source bar - which I cannot find. I would really really appreciate finding out what I need to do to upload these books to my KT. I have ADE and Calibre applications, but haven't made much use of Calibre to date. So, how do I upload these books?
IsabeauG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Use Calibre to convert them to epub and then load them to your device.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
You will need to know where on your computer the ebooks are located - for example my Kindle books are located in a folder called "My Kindle Content" - and what format they are in - your Kindle books will most likely be mobi but the Kobo needs ePubs - the Sony books should be ePubs already.

ADE can be used for your ePubs. On the top left corner there is a library tab and the drop down list includeds "Add item to your library" - use this to navigate to the ebook and then add it to your ADE library if it is not there already. Then connect your Kobo (it will need to be authorised) and drag the books onto the Kobo when it appears on the left hand side.

Calibre has an "Add Books" button on the top left side. Again navigate to your books and add them to your Calibre library. If your Kindle books have DRM you can utilise various Calibre plug ins to remove that (not allowed to be discussed here so use Google for that information) and then you can convert them to ePubs using the "Convert Books" tab. Finally when you plug your Kobo in another option will appear "Send to Device" which will do exactly that.

A third option is to connect your Kobo and use Windows Explorer to add the books as if your Kobo was a USB memory stick but this will only work for ePubs without another company's DRM.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
I've loaded epubs, that I bought through Sony, onto my Kobo with Calibre. Of course - Kobo is cheaper so I just buy from them now and the books work fine on my Sony automaticlly instead of making it go the other way around...
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote