Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
SEI Publications
SEI Publications began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
HTML tables truncating after converting to epub

I have a clean HTML file that, using Mobipocket Creator, converts well to prc.

I am using Calibre to convert the same HTML file to create an epub file. I am then viewing the results on an ipad or Mobipocket Reader on a PC.

Text in table cells displays correctly in my HTML file and in the prc file; however, this same HTML produces truncated table cells in the epub file when viewed with an ipad or Mobipocket Reader (using Paper Book Aspect Ratio or any of the other settings other than Full Width).

(The table text displays correctly only when I select "Full Width" with Mobipocket Reader--the table cells truncate in the other views.)

The HTML code is clean:

<table border="1" >
<tr>
<td valign="top">Immediate</td>
<td valign="top"> ... if the observed queue length is greater than or equal to threshold, <em>n</em></td>
</tr>
</table>
How can I reformat this so that the table displays correctly regardless of the type of display that I've chosen in mobipocket reader?
SEI Publications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
My Sony PRS650 doesn't seem to have any problem at all displaying an epub created using Calibre to convert the html file as listed in your post.

I have added some screencaps to show you the results at different zoom levels.

I wonder if different readers have different abilities with tables?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	70623   Click image for larger version

Name:	medium.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	70624   Click image for larger version

Name:	large.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	70625  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
SEI Publications

Thank you so much for letting me know about that!

I see the problem on the ipad and when I view it with the Mobipocket Reader (in columns view). I wonder why we're seeing different results.

It is challenging to produce text that will view (even reasonably) consistently given the different devices. Some day, this will all be unified. :-)

Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Mobipocket Reader is not an epub reader. It converts epub to mobi under the hood. And MOBI's support for tables is very limited. If you want to view an epub file on an ipad dont use mobipocket reader. Use ibooks or stanza or any one of half a dozen other epub reading apps.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
SEI Publications

I did not know that. Thanks for the excellent advice!

Do you know what typically happens when a nook or an ipad user clicks on a prc file? Assuming they don't have the kindle app installed, will the file be silently converted to epub or will the user get an error?
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No I'm afraid I have no idea what happens on a Nook.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
An iPad gives an error message anytime you try to use a file type that does not have an application registered to handle it.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Convert your HTML to ePub and forget Mobipocket. And for the iPad, forget iBooks, it can be a bit wonky. Stanza is buggy so forget that too. Give Bluefire Reader a go. It uses ADE and works like ADE on your desktop.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote