15 hrs 2 2.53%
20 hrs 7 8.86%
20+ hrs 64 81.01%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #31
Morbius
Morbius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Maybe this is the same great performance Sony laptop batteries exhibited...right before they went nuclear!
Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #32
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava
Unless Nathan can devote himself completely just for reading untill battery dies
Sadly, I cannot.
I did calculate that 7,800 consecutive page turns, at 1 second each, would take 2 hours & 10 minutes.

So, let's see, the iLiad's 10,000 page turns would take ... um, 2 hours, 46 minutes and 40 seconds.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #33
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Quote:
I did calculate that 7,800 consecutive page turns, at 1 second each, would take 2 hours & 10 minutes.
I'm sure you can spare 2 hours for this test

But, that will work only with TXT, BBEB, and RTF books (or FAST formats)
With PDF books, page turns take 2-8 seconds (obviously SLOW format).

BTW, I think that battery life depends on what you are reading - FAST or SLOW formats.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:01 PM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm sure you can spare 2 hours for this test
Yes, but the 10 minutes are another thing.

I think you're right about the format making a difference, clearly processing time has to have an effect on power consumption.

Then there's the whole question of finding a 7,800 page document....
Old 10-09-2006, 04:05 PM   #35
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Not to mention finding a physical therapist for the carpal tunnel problems you'll have after pressing the next page button that many times in a row....
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:12 PM   #36
Slava
Addict

Quote:
Yes, but the 10 minutes are another thing.
That's unfortunate, but me thinks we can settle with 2 hours and 7200 click-o-pages or page-o-clicks

Quote:
Then there's the whole question of finding a 7,800 page document....
Book with 7800 pages? Easy - "War and Peace" If it's not enough, one can copy/paste until all pages are there.

On other hand it wont be representative, 10 books with 720-780 pages each or same book but read 10 times are closer to real-life conditions

Last edited by Slava; 10-09-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:13 PM   #37
NatCh
Gizmologist

I could use all ten fingers ... and my nose ... that should do for the first 3,750 pages or so ... then ... maybe toes? Elbows? Hmmm.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:11 PM   #38
NatCh
Gizmologist

After a full week of usage, still 4 blocks for me.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #39
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Same here (well almost a week), and my Reader certainly has hasn't been sitting idle!
It's the first time I've ever had something run this long without sucking the battery down. But then it's not really running most of the time of course... Weird though to still see the bars not changing...
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #40
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
roughly 2000 page turns so far on the initial shipping charge and it just dropped to 2 bars.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #41
Slava
Addict

Quote:
After a full week of usage, still 4 blocks for me.
You have to actually read the books, not just look at the Reader
Old 10-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #42
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
You have to actually read the books, not just look at the Reader
Read? All my books have pretty pictures!
Old 10-12-2006, 11:22 AM   #43
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Wow, mine finally dropped one bar today
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #44
NatCh
Gizmologist

It'll probably go back up if you turn it off for a few minutes. They seem to flutter around the transitions for a while before settling into the lower reading.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:29 PM   #45
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
I don't know that I"ll ever run the battery down realistically. Unless I load up 200 books and just do a "how many weeks of fairly constant reading can I get out of the Reader" test. I seem to plug it in every two or three days to bring down another collection, and it keeps topping that battery back off.

Well done on the battery life, Sony!
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote