Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Unpacking a library into Calibre

I have recently been given a library of some 5000+ books in .mobi format, which have been zipped up in the following way:

Calibre Library Folder
.Author's Name.zip files
..Author's Name folders
...Book Title folder(s)
....Book files (Book.mobi, cover.jpg, metadata.opf)

The library folder is actually called Calibre Library.

If I use the Calibre function Add books (Add books from directories, including subdirectories (Multiple books per directory...)) the books are copied into my Calibre library in .zip format, and only one book from each author is added.

How can I add all of the books in .mobi format?

I have found, by trial and error, that if I unpack the Author's Name folders and use the Add books function to point to those folders one at a time, then the books are transferred in .mobi format, but with over 2000 authors to process, I am hoping I don't have to do that.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If I was doing that, I would probably use a search to delete all the extra files or move the ones I want somewhere else for calibre to see and process.

But, with the structure of the folders and the files, is there a "metadata.db" in the root? If so, see if you can add the complete thing as a library. Click the library button on the toolbar and select "Switch/create library".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You will need to unzip all the zip files, then add the top level folder to calibre by right clicking the add books button and choosing add subfolders one book per folder.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that suggestion, David.

There is a metadata.db file.

The Switch/Create function does not offer an option to open the new library though. The three options do not seem to relate to adding this library to Calibre.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
BeeTee-Ess
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You will need to unzip all the zip files, then add the top level folder to calibre by right clicking the add books button and choosing add subfolders one book per folder.
Ouch!

Kovid, does David's suggestion about a metadata.db file make a difference?
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
Ouch!

Kovid, does David's suggestion about a metadata.db file make a difference?
I agree, Ouch. I didn't notice this in the original post. And yes, you need to unzip them all.

As to my suggestion, put the folder that contains the root folder of the library (where the metadata.db is) in the field, select "Use a previously existing library at the new location" and press OK. calibre will then try to open this as a library and show you the books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If there is a metadata.db file, then after unzipping you can add the top level folder as a library directly, as david suggests.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
BeeTee-Ess
Addict

Thanks for your advice, David, Kovid.

I shall ponder how to go about automating that upzipping job.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
BeeTee-Ess
Addict

Thanks again...

I have a file manager called Directory Opus, as predominant in the field of file management as is Calibre in the management of books and libraries.

Using Directory Opus, the task of unzipping took about ten minutes, and I am now looking at some 5000 books neatly under Calibre's gentle care!