Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #61
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
this will be my new favourite expression.
Yeah, I use it a lot too. Can you do a German accent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
I'd think sales numbers of reading devices would skyrocket if they'd deliver a French lady reading out loud with every device bought!
Yeah, why hasn't anyone thought of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Why not call it "thingy"?
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
another point for "liseuse".
Liseuse is un-American.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Why not call it "thingy"?
We can't call it thingy. Too many people would get it mixed up with the thingy over there.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #64
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Liseuse is un-American.
Damn yeah! We'd have to call them Freedom Readers or Liberty Books
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #65
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Yeah, I use it a lot too. Can you do a German accent?
not too good at accents but i'll work on it.

Quote:
Liseuse is un-American.
luckily, i don't have to worry about that. ("Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries ! now go away, or i shall taunt you a second time !")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Damn yeah! We'd have to call them Freedom Readers or Liberty Books
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #66
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by eReaderPlanet View Post
Hi all:

It seems that these electronic reading devices are either called "eReaders" or "eBook Readers". I've been doing a lot of research on the subject, and many of the technology blogs use the term "eReaders" or "e-readers", but there's more Web searches done on "eBook readers".

Which name do you think will eventually prevail?
I think the main issue is that the term "eReader" is also the name of a specific product, so many people avoid using it as the general term to avoid confusion.

I usually try to say "eBook reader" when I remember to. But I don't think there's any general consensus on what the term should be.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #67
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Well I do have a beard and I guess my signature nails my colours to the flag.

'Liseuse' adds that little bit of mystery and pzazz to what is otherwise just another small electronic device with a boring made-up name combination.

ereader, digireader, eloctrobook, dynabook, instabook... ptui.

Let's face it, French is sexier.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I think the main issue is that the term "eReader" is also the name of a specific product, so many people avoid using it as the general term to avoid confusion.

I usually try to say "eBook reader" when I remember to. But I don't think there's any general consensus on what the term should be.
That is a very good way to put it. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
Well I do have a beard and I guess my signature nails my colours to the flag.

'Liseuse' adds that little bit of mystery and pzazz to what is otherwise just another small electronic device with a boring made-up name combination.

ereader, digireader, eloctrobook, dynabook, instabook... ptui.

Let's face it, French is sexier.
Nope, French is not sexier. I am.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #70
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
I find this quite disturbing - this is at least the second time in the past few days that I have detected a sense of humour in your postings. I am concerned for your welfare.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #71
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Jon, dear, what you are is scary, not sexy .

As for the ongoing debate - which seems to have spanned four pages since I left the house this morning - dang! - I'm giving a speech on "thingy-liseuse-devices" for my (wait for it) SPEECH class for university this week. To keep things as clear as mud and so as to not confuse the natives, I'm using the term "ebook reading device".
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #72
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
if only because you bathe...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #73
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
I find this quite disturbing - this is at least the second time in the past few days that I have detected a sense of humour in your postings. I am concerned for your welfare.
LOL! Hey, now, Jon's a funny guy as long as you don't step on his pet peeves...right, Jon?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #74
eReaderPlanet
eReaderPlanet began at the beginning.

Device: none
When I discuss these devices with my friends, I usually say "eReader". They reply with "What's an eReader?". I say, "an eBook Reader" and again they say, "what's that?". Then I say, "you know, a Kindle", and that's when they understand.

Here's a scary thought - many people today refer to MP3 Players as "iPods". Maybe everyone will refer to eReaders as Kindles in the future.
eReaderPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #75
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eReaderPlanet View Post
When I discuss these devices with my friends, I usually say "eReader". They reply with "What's an eReader?". I say, "an eBook Reader" and again they say, "what's that?". Then I say, "you know, a Kindle", and that's when they understand.

Here's a scary thought - many people today refer to MP3 Players as "iPods". Maybe everyone will refer to eReaders as Kindles in the future.
I think I saw an earlier post here that the word Kindle had entered the Urban Dictionary - or some other reference text - on the way to becoming the heir to Jello, Xerox, etc.?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook readers, ereaders, liseuse