Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
jwh88
jwh88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Split EPUB/MOBI File with Multiple Books

I'm not sure if this is a Calibre or EPUB question, but I started with an EPUB file with 16 books in it. I successfully converted it to MOBI format for my Kindle. But both the EPUB and MOBI formats look like just a giant "book" containing the 16 books. Is there any way I can split either the EPUB or MOBI file into the individual books?

Thanks, Jaime
jwh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
You can edit epub with sigil. See Mobileread Sigil forum.
You can convert to txt or rtf and split them and convert back.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Without multi-select in Sigil (which meme tells me is coming for the next release, much kudos for adding that!) splitting an omnibus in Sigil is way too painful.

What I do at the moment is open the epub in Sigil, so I can see which files belong to which sub-book. Then I create a book record for each sub-book in calibre, and copy the omnibus epub to each. If you want some "common" adjustments like to styles, do it to the omnibus before this step.

Then I use Tweak ePub for each book, deleting the files I don't want in that particular sub-book, and manually editing the .opf file in the two relevant places to remove references to them. Then just repeat this step for each sub-book.

Once multi-select is in Sigil that last step will be *much* simpler because you can do it in Sigil instead of Tweak ePub. For each copy of the omnibus you will just multi-select all but the files you want to keep in the book browser pane, a single right-click and job done, Sigil will rebuild the opf for you.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
jwh88
jwh88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thanks for pointing me to Sigil and Twek ePub. I guess I know what I be doing this weekend!
jwh88 is offline   Reply With Quote