Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #106
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hmmmm....
I think we need an app to auto shutdown the Fire when the battery reaches a certain percentage.

Edit: It's fully charged now and working properly.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-19-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #107
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Auto Shutdown may exist !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I think we need an app to auto shutdown the Fire when the battery reaches a certain percentage.

Edit: It's fully charged now and working properly.
Before my last Fire unit died, I had received an autoshutdown request which I cancelled to continue playing with it.

My ignoring of that request may have killed the unit. In the future I will obey that request if I receive it again and then do a 4 hour charge immediately.

On my new exchanged unit I intend to do a Shut Down every night which will automatically shut down all apps and WiFi as well. That procedure may be necessary for long battery life.

My unit died when I neglected that process for a week. It may be true that certain apps continue to operate in sleep mode and drain the battery too low without reflecting it in the battery meter. If the battery meter shows 30% or less before the shutdown, I will charge it overnight as well.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-19-2011 at 10:36 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #108
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
If there is a bug, I'm hoping the upcoming software release will address it.

You shouldn't have to go through all that just to keep it from locking up.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #109
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Major upgrade !

Quote:
If there is a bug, I'm hoping the upcoming software release will address it.

You shouldn't have to go through all that just to keep it from locking up.
Since Amazon announced a MAJOR upgrade to the Fire firmware, it is very likely that this dying problem will be addressed.

I haven't received my Exchange unit yet but it is due today. It may have been sent with the new upgrade already installed since it replaced a dead unit.

If an autoshutdown is required occasionally, it should NOT request user permission. It should just send a message requesting the user to start charging and then go down on it's own. Allowing the user to intervene, as in my case. allows for a user mistake as evidently happened to me.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-19-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #110
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Since Amazon announced a MAJOR upgrade to the Fire firmware, it is very likely that this dying problem will be addressed.

I haven't received my Exchange unit yet but it is due today. It may have been sent with the new upgrade already installed since it replaced a dead unit.
Be sure and let us know when you get it.
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #111
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Before my last Fire unit died, I had received an autoshutdown request which I cancelled to continue playing with it.

My ignoring of that request may have killed the unit. In the future I will obey that request if I receive it again and then do a 4 hour charge immediately.

On my new exchanged unit I intend to do a Shut Down every night which will automatically shut down all apps and WiFi as well. That procedure may be necessary for long battery life.

My unit died when I neglected that process for a week. It may be true that certain apps continue to operate in sleep mode and drain the battery too low without reflecting it in the battery meter. If the battery meter shows 30% or less before the shutdown, I will charge it overnight as well.
I have neglected that process as well a couple of times. Once I neglected it to the point where the battery had nothing left and the unit shut down. I haven't had any issues with mine, but I won't be doing that anymore.

What I'm confused about is people saying they will do a shut down overnight. So I assume they aren't charging it overnight then? I charge my fire every night while I'm sleeping, but when you do a shut down and then plug the charger in, the fire automatically powers up and is in sleep mode (not shut down) while charging it seems. It doesn't seem that you can charge the fire while it's in shut down mode, as the unit automatically turns itself on to charge, isn't that correct?

On another note, I have not noticed mine losing battery life when I put it in sleep mode during the day. If I put it in sleep mode, (which I do daily) and then turn it on hours later, the battery doesn't appear to have drained at all.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 12-19-2011 at 12:40 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #112
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post

On another note, I have not noticed mine losing battery life when I put it in sleep mode during the day. If I put it in sleep mode, (which I do daily) and then turn it on hours later, the battery doesn't appear to have drained at all.
That's basically what I see...it drops maybe 10% after being on standby for 10 hours or so...
Old 12-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #113
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
That's basically what I see...it drops maybe 10% after being on standby for 10 hours or so...
Same here which is why it suddenly being 0% last time it was asleep it was at 64% it has to be a bug or a default crashed app or something to keep it draining so much so suddenly.

I charge when it's asleep there no need to shut it down nightly unless the bug keeps occurring. I will be sure to keep checking it periodically through the day.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #114
sirmaru
Wizard

See this thread discussing the massive improvements in the new Model Kindle Fire:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161653
Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #115
russ5260
russ5260 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
>>>I think holding down the power button makes it goes into Factory reset.

uhhhh, no. Holding the power button for 20 seconds just powers the unit off. There is an option in gear>>more>>>device... down at the botton it says "reset to factory defaults"
russ5260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #116
sirmaru
Wizard

It's true that the Fire goes into Sleep Mode when charging. However, if one is not charging overnight, then one should leave it in Shut Down Mode.

There is no question that, when not charging, Sleep Mode drains the battery about 2% every 3 hours. In Shut Down Mode, there is no drain at all for even 10 hours.

If the Fire issues an auto Shut Down request, allow it to happen and start charging as soon as possible. Evidently, that is a protective routine built into the Fire and, neglecting it, could destroy the battery.

Leave WiFi on all the time for syncing eBooks and upgrades to Apps and the Firmware.

By the way, I added the following Apps to my new Fire in addition to what came preloaded:

1. Netflix
2. Springboard (note taker)
3. Office Calculator (Free)
4. Chess program (AI Factory)
5. Badass Battery Manager
6. Tune In Radio
7. Tecarta Bible
8. The Weather Channel
9. 2 ebooks

I also added 1 Gb of my favorite MP3 songs. After all of that the following are my disk statistics:

Application storage = 0.94 Gb of 1.17 Gb available
Internal storage = 4.13 Gb of 5.36 Gb available

Badass Battery Monitor shows my main battery uses as follows:

TuneIn Radio Pro = 28.67%
Amazon Kindle (ebook reading) = 27.54%
Kindle System = 10.47%
Screen = 14.99%
WiFi = 13.61%

All the rest make up very small percentages, each.

TuneIn Radio appears to be consuming power all the time even when not being used.

I've had the unit active since my last recharge for one hour and 50 minutes so far and TuneIn Radio has been awake 40 minutes even though I use it rarely. I notice I left it open to one station. I'll try moving it back to it's main menu and see if it still stays active.

It may require a Shut Down move right after use to turn it off completely and then a re-awakening of the Fire.

It appears at this moment in time that my total battery life is 6.3 hours of which only 4.5 to 5.4 hours will be useable since I must recharge when it drops to 15% of it's life and possibly as high as 30% of it's life.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-20-2011 at 10:48 PM.