Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Question MobileRead Biased?

Ok so maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way.
But I just happened to really look at the way the various reader forums are organized.

Top of the list, the iRex digitalReader, then the iRex iLiad, followed by 2 sony forums. One for the sony PRS-300, PRS-600, PRS-700 and PRS-900, and a seperate forum for 500/505.

At this point, the listing goes into what appears to be alphabetical listing.
With the Amazon Kindle, the Bookeen Cybook, and the B&N Nook.

At which point it quickly drops back out of alphabetical sorting.
With the Astak EZReader forum, the HanLin eBook, and PocketBook 301, 302 and 360.

Then we have the new Interead Cooler forum, followed by the Jetbook.

Now if they were all just arranged in order as the forums were added, that would make a certain amount of sence. Yet the Cooler forum was added after the Jetbook forum. Yet it is situated above the Jetbook.

Or if they were all aranged in simple alphabetical order that would be ok.
But if your going to do that then please list the Jetbook forum as the "Ectaco Jetbook".
So it gains the same advantage as the "Amazon Kindle".

So which is it? Alphabetical? By date of forum creation?
Or a bit of creative juggling in order to please who ever created it this way?

Not trying to pick a fight with the higher ups at Mobile Read, but poking a bit of fun at them might be in order. Kind of on the order of "oops your Ereader bias is showing"

And I'm sure I'll get flamed for this. But hey its cold up here in Dakota, bring it on.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the "Feedback" forum, where it belongs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I don't think it is bias but I do think that during the reorg a better system is needed. When the forum started there were three products iLiad and Sony with US presence and Hanline (Jinke) with mostly Chinese presence. As products were added the ones from the same manufacturer were kept together somewhat and the rest were added to the bottom with some idea of grouping manufacturers together. It doesn't bother me who is first in the list but a lack of perceived bias is important I guess. Mostly I think this is a historic thing followed with with a guess as to popularity. This will be considered in the upcoming forum reorg but no promises.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
You don't need to guess which is the most popular - simply sort it by the volume of posts. The most popular readers are at the top. If you want to move yours up, start posting more about it... (And if automated sorting isn't something the forum software can do, just check things out every so often and adjust as needed.)
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
We (the moderators) and Alex have discussed this. The consensus is to list them alphabetically. However, other changes are in planning and it will be done all at once.

It has nothing to do with bias as they are now... probably just done without much thought in order to make people clamoring for forums for various devices happy.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I must be "plain Jane" - what is it with people reading things in something that isn't there. I just thought the various reader foren were added as they were required - nothing to do with preference.

This world has become far too sensitive and politcal correct. Just not fun anymore. (Sorry, but when I grew up I still could make some jokes without getting pulled up by the 'harrassement committee' or silly things like that. Having said that some politcal correctnes was required, just think we went too far)
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:40 AM   #7
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It has nothing to do with bias as they are now... probably just done without much thought in order to make people clamoring for forums for various devices happy.
Now what fun is there in that?

Doesn't make for a fun thread that way....

I think it should be reverse alphabetical with post count squared and with the screen size averaged in. Yup, yup, that's how it should be listed!!!
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #8
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I don't think it is bias but I do think that during the reorg a better system is needed. When the forum started there were three products iLiad and Sony with US presence and Hanline (Jinke) with mostly Chinese presence. As products were added the ones from the same manufacturer were kept together somewhat and the rest were added to the bottom with some idea of grouping manufacturers together. It doesn't bother me who is first in the list but a lack of perceived bias is important I guess. Mostly I think this is a historic thing followed with with a guess as to popularity. This will be considered in the upcoming forum reorg but no promises.

Dale
I don't know if your software allows this - but extending the use of topic tagging might be one way to go. It is already used for Sony devices. If the forum reader could then set a reading filter just to show desired device threads, that would be one way to do it.
The tags are metadata that can be added/changed on the go without modifying the hard coded forum structure.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote