Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
frank14612
Connoisseur
frank14612 doesn't litterfrank14612 doesn't litterfrank14612 doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch with Glow-light
Calibre changed all my text to bold after conversion

I converted an article, which contained various text formatting (e.g., regular, bold, italic, etc.), from EPUB to EPUB, wanting only to change the text alignment from justified to left-aligned, but after conversion all my text was in boldface!

Can someone tell me how to prevent this from happening? I've looked but not been able to find help on this topic. Thank you!

Frank D

(Note: Originally posted in a different forum.) Sorry, I see I've posted in the wrong forum. I'll switch over to the MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion forum.

Last edited by frank14612; 12-18-2013 at 05:31 PM.
frank14612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Probably get faster response in the calibre sub-forum...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
frank14612
Connoisseur

Solved.

OK, I've just repeated the conversion on three more e-books and the dreaded bolding did NOT happen. Something in that one book must have been unique. So I'll "call off the dogs." Thanks for any interest in this topic. I'll consider it resolved.

Frank D

Last edited by frank14612; 12-18-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank14612 View Post
Solved.

OK, I've just repeated the conversion on three more e-books and the dreaded bolding did NOT happen. Something in that one book must have been unique. So I'll "call off the dogs." Thanks for any interest in this topic. I'll consider it resolved.

Frank D
Frank,
A malformed tag might have started the cascade (down hill).
I suggest Validating with W3C or Flightcrew BEFORE you convert
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
frank14612
Connoisseur

theducks, thanks!

Just a curiosity item (as I'm no longer in danger of the error):

I checked it at: W3C CSS Validator
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator
and got the message:
"Congratulations! No Error Found.
This document validates as CSS level 3 ! "
Old 12-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
theducks, thanks!

and got the message:
The original or the result? Calibre tries
Valid does not always = beautiful
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Quote:
theducks, thanks!

and got the message:
the CSS may be perfectly fine but if all goes bold I would sooner look for an unpaired, stray bold tag...
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
frank14612
Connoisseur

theducks,
Quote:
The original or the result?
It was the original. I had saved a copy in a different folder before entering it into Calibre.

Ad_Libitum,
Quote:
the CSS may be perfectly fine but if all goes bold I would sooner look for an unpaired, stray bold tag...
Thank you. I tried a search using Edit Book, but the document contains many, many bolded and italicized words and phrases and this job projected to be very long and tedious. I'll just leave this book in Justified format and not deal with the problem, which now seems very minor.

Frank D
Old 12-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thank you. I tried a search using Edit Book, but the document contains many, many bolded and italicized words and phrases and this job projected to be very long and tedious. I'll just leave this book in Justified format and not deal with the problem, which now seems very minor.
On books that this has happened to me I find it much easier to remove the global bold class from the css of the converted book than trying to figure out what may have been wrong in the original.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
frank14612
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
On books that this has happened to me I find it much easier to remove the global bold class from the css of the converted book than trying to figure out what may have been wrong in the original.
That seems workable, but then (if I interpret correctly) that would remove all the bolding from the book. The alternatives then would be to have all bolding or no bolding. Unfortunately, either of these would reduce the book's readability and meaningfulness considerably. So, faced with these alternatives, I'll stay with a Justified book with regular and bold text, as is.

Thank you for your suggestion. Together with those above, if it happens again I'll know what to do.

Frank
Old 12-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
That seems workable, but then (if I interpret correctly) that would remove all the bolding from the book.
You interpret incorrectly.

Usually finding and removing the one class in the CSS that is causing the book to be globally altered to bold does not alter the CSS classes that cause individual words or phrases to be bold.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote