Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 11-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Mayhem in deals&freebies section

Lately, when you get your foot (figuratively) here it's quite a chaos. Perhaps couple of subfolders would not be amiss - Kindle, Sony, Harlequin etc? Or perhaps a possibility to add a prefix?

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I was just thinking the same... It's mostly Kindle books right now with various posted right after the other. A prefix at least would be nice.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I use to think the same thing. Then, I noticed something. Whenever someone posted a free book in a Kindle format, someone starts looking for the same book in other formats and will post the find. The opposite is also true.. when a Sony freebie is found, someone will post about a Kindle version... And of course, someone may find other formats of the same book...

I may not have dipped into the Kindle tags, pdf tags, or.. and would have missed the mention of alternate formats available.

I've discovered some new blogs and book sites due to this "chaos".
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
When I looked, almost half of the thread appearing on the first page of the deals&freebies forum were post by Kia for a price cut for a random, single Kindle Ebook.
Perhaps all of these should be regrouped in a single "Kindle Deals" thread.

Also, as for the Sony and Amazon freebies, I think we should made a sticky with these two links :
Current free Sony ebooks : http://ebooks.addall.com/sonyfree.html
Current free kindle ebooks : http://ebooks.addall.com/amazonfree.html
People could always post if they notice some freebies not appearing on this automated listing.

This would make it easier not to miss the really good deal, like the recent 24H only free download for best seller like Let the Great World Spin or Burnt Shadows, or the recent a-few-hour-only 6$ deal for all 4 twilight ebook
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I think that especially with the Kindle books, there shouldn't be one post for each book (one person is responsible for this). I like the big thread on it, I check it often. For other formats, they should get their own thread (like the Suvudu books), but it's just gotten out of control. When I post freebies, I always try to post in bulk, or check and see if there's a previous thread on the book. I don't think that's happening now. Frankly, there's always a bajillion freebies from Amazon and I don't particularly want to see the entire Deals forum filled with them when the main thread worked, and not to mention a lot of the books have low interest.

I don't think it needs new subfolders, I think that threads should just be merged and maybe asking people to not make a million posts there.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Since the posts with Kindle freebies or Kindle discounts are clearly labeled with Kindle in the title (it's the same as a prefix), is that difficult to skip them, if one chooses?

Also, I think it's hard to group the freebies into one post (aside from adding them to the thread in the Kindle section after they've been posted in the deals section) because they kind of pop up at random. On the discounted books it's best to post them asap, or as we saw with the mis-priced Twilight collection, one might miss out on a great deal.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
i was also thinking about this same thing! good thing there was a thread made about it.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Since the posts with Kindle freebies or Kindle discounts are clearly labeled with Kindle in the title (it's the same as a prefix), is that difficult to skip them, if one chooses?
It's not the same as prefix. Prefix is coloured and you can skip it without reading or filter it.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
It's not the same as prefix. Prefix is coloured and you can skip it without reading or filter it.

DrS
If you see the word "Kindle" in the title of a thread in the Deals & Freebies section, you can't skip over it? I don't really have a problem with the prefix idea but is it really that big of a problem?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:50 AM   #10
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
A colored prefix is way faster to notice and skip.

But really the problem is that there is a lot of threads for a single, random, kindle book.

Such threads are generally just a copy/paste from Amazon blurb, and don't generally have any "personalized" input from the poster either (ie not a MR author book, no opinion, in fact the poster don't even mention if he have read the book, and I don't think it's possible he have given his rate of posting (several books per day).

While I'm sure they are all great books, with so many Kindle books being heavily discounted compared to the list price, we have here the potential for hundreds and hundreds of similar threads . A bored individual can easily create dozens of such thread in an afternoon. Hey, a bot could easily do that too.

There is also the fact that they seems to generate little interest (Most of these threads averaging less than 1 reply).

That why I think it would be great to have them merged in a single thread. It should be easier to consult for Kindle user too.

Last edited by Faenad; 11-06-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Yes, as I can't see the deals in one go. As I'll have to go to the second or third page. If I can filter out those Kindle books (no kindle, never will get a kindle), I can again see all non-kindle book discounts in one go...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do think the deals & freebies needs major sorting out. We could use an ePub, Sony, Kindle, and general section.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Alright, something we'll be looking into next.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I'd love to see freebies/deals sorted by DRM and non-DRM. I can't think of any simple ways to do this, off the top of my head, but maybe someone else can think of how to sort that out. I'm much less interested in "freebies" that require me to give my email & register a device with a site.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #15
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
It'd be nice to be able to look at freebies that are availabe in my geographical area (UK), without having to wade through all the ones that aren't. It would eliminate so many feelings of envy

Not necessarily a practical suggestion, but hey.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote