Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #46
rmclachlan
rmclachlan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
More likely the disks will be demagnetized by now, though.
I rest my case.
rmclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #47
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmclachlan View Post
I rest my case.
*shrug*. those disks were never meant for long-term storage. That's what they sold tape drives for. Anyway, can we stay with mr. Kaufman's opinions?
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #48
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Well, I read it.

My take:
A) It's a point of view. This is America, and the Internet. Meh.
B) Never Godwinize.
C) I think he hasn't thought this through. This reads like an emotional reaction. You should always take several deep breaths before typing on the Internet.
D) He also didn't do his homework.
E) He has a serious cellulosic, non-woven, composite-material data-transmission fetish. I wonder if he gets upset at those baby books with the thick, washable plastic pages?
F) If this is typical of his writing, I don't doubt that his books came hard to him. He's not very good, IMO.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #49
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Almost everyone here is offended by a suggestion that ebooks are equivalent to book burning.

Alan Kaufman seems to have only looked at large, commercial, DRMed offerings. He's right that DRMed ebooks can be burned. If Amazon can delete 1984 & Animal Farm, they can burn books. Google censors YouTube videos that show police brutality.

My dream is a self-contained, solid state ebook that is as rugged as a paper book, has the same life expectancy, and has every book(over a certain age) ever published on it.

DRM advocates want to throw me in jail for trying to preseve the content of books. I am not going to preach to the NAZIs who claim it is wrong to keep an ebook longer than 180 days. They are lost.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #50
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Well, first of all:

“There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkeys typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true.” -- Ian Hart quotes

Mr. Kaufman is just another monkey like the rest of us.

But of even more concern to me is that this means poor Mr. Bradbury is going to have to rewrite "Fahrenheit 451" to the shortest novel in history, reading one word -- "Delete".

And so what if all reading material becomes electronic and civilization fails because the electricity goes off so we all have to start over. Didn't anyone else watch that historical docu-drama, "Battlestar Galactica"? You think they made all that stuff up?

My apologies if this makes no sense, but neither does Kaufman.

Last edited by eGeezer; 10-28-2009 at 07:26 PM.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #51
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
What a terrible analogy!
A book is just a vessel for knowledge. Knowledge can be spoken, transmitted via the web, read via an ebook. I have no particular attachment to paper books but I am not a librarian and am younger than 50. DRM is a minor threat but in the early days of paper books the power of the printing press was held in the hands of the few. Over time those threats will dissapate, just a quick look at the new technologies like the web and thing like wikipedia remove any doubt that new technologies can increase the distribution of knowledge.

Last edited by fugazied; 10-28-2009 at 07:25 PM.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #52
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
Almost everyone here is offended by a suggestion that ebooks are equivalent to book burning.
But what he said was much, much worse than that-- he said that ebooks are equivalent to Jew-burning. Comparing the growing popularity of a new medium for transmitting information to the systematic slaughter of millions in an attempt at genocide is a bit-- I would venture-- hyperbolic.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #53
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
And so what if all reading material becomes electronic and civilization fails because the electricity goes off so we all have to start over.
Then the print books will be used for kindling and toilet paper.

Here, download this for your kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/Eternity-Road-.../dp/0061054275

Or Reader:

http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/jac...00000000074077
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #54
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Then the print books will be used for kindling and toilet paper.
I really don't appreciate your response, Ardeegee, because I really REALLY wish I had thought of it first, darn it.

I've put the book on my list, being a real fan of "What Follows End of Civilization" books (all the while hoping I never find out which author had it right.)
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #55
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
One of the dangers of e-books is their ephemeral nature compared to the real world equivalent...
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Yes, porting digital data to a different format is completely impossible now and forever. All the data of 2 years ago is all gone. And all paper books still exist.
It's called backing up, people (as AZ so sarcastically points out). I have readable data from a decade ago on my PC, because I back up and archive. It ain't hard. And plenty of information committed to paper has been lost to the ages. It's a poor reason to criticize the e-book.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #56
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
What a terrible analogy!
A book is just a vessel for knowledge.
I totally disagree. A fiction book have very little to do with knowledge (in the sense of true justified belief).

And a book is more than the sequence of characters. It has a title for example and can be referred. It was written at a specific time period and you often need to know when it was written to appreciate it fully. And so on.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #57
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
But if you set a book free on the internet, people download it, back it up, convert it into different formats. It's not ephemeral at all.

Larger sites, like Project Gutenberg and the Internet Archive have mirrors, and larger book sites sell CD/DVDs of their libraries.

Conversely, modern paper simply does not last as well as the paper made in earlier centuries.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #58
rmclachlan
rmclachlan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
It's called backing up, people (as AZ so sarcastically points out). I have readable data from a decade ago on my PC, because I back up and archive. It ain't hard. And plenty of information committed to paper has been lost to the ages. It's a poor reason to criticize the e-book.
wrong - it is exactly the reason to criticize the e-book as a single format in the absence of all others. You may back up and archive religiously, but most people do not. Your argument regarding paper is having been lost to the ages is weak. I can pretty well guarantee that I can put a book in a sealed container and when dug up in a hundred or a thousand years it will still be readable, you could not say that about an ebook on a reader. Paper has a marvellous utility (light, durable, requires no technology to use), ebooks just have a different utility.

I think my point is there is a certain rabid thread of anti paper books in this forum. A more measured approach is to treat these formats as being useful in their correct context.
rmclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #59
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I think my point is there is a certain rabid thread of anti paper books in this forum. A more measured approach is to treat these formats as being useful in their correct context.
I'd be careful who you call "rabid." (Refraining from applying unthinking labels to people is sort of the point of this thread.)

Besides, there is a reason e-books are a developing format, whereas paper has run its course, and is now more of an environmental danger than a useful format. Sure, paper has uses... but for sheer use-flexibility, storability, ease of replication and archiving (and if people don't properly store their paper books, they can rot very quickly), smaller carbon footprint and less damage to the environment in its production, e-books are just plain better than paper for literature.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #60
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Horses have many advantages over cars, too. Still cars have replaced them, but horses remain in small numbers because people love them. Ages ago people will have complained that books have replaced verbal story telling and that a great art was lost. Printed books have replaced the much more beautiful handwritten books. A new technology replaces an old one and nobody can stop it. The author has taken his rant to ridiculous heights, though. He is a real book Nazi who defames anyone who dares to disagree (and isn't even educated enough to realize that for book you should use "das", not "der").
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookburning, e-book awareness, godwin's law, holocaust comparison, luddite, mental illness, stupidity, tradition, trolls