Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
mentz
mentz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Calibre just hangs

I have been using calibre successfully for the last year; however, after recently updating I cannot seem to get anything to work. I uninstalled the program, deleted the program file, deleted the registry entries, and then re-installed. After all this effort I am still having problems.

The program loads fine, but when I try to do anything the program just hangs. I cannot even import a single book anymore. In the most recent version I at least get an error message stating that the program has "hung" and to "restart" the program. In previous versions I could not convert any of my books (all non-drm). Does anyone know what has happenned during the last several updates?

I am using winxp. After more than a year of successfully using the program I am about to give up! I suspect all my metadata will now be lost as well?

I would appreciate any help.
mentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, mentz.

Someone should step in with suggestions soon.....when you have your problems sorted out, feel free to use the 'introduce myself' link below.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentz View Post
I have been using calibre successfully for the last year; however, after recently updating I cannot seem to get anything to work. I uninstalled the program, deleted the program file, deleted the registry entries, and then re-installed. After all this effort I am still having problems.

The program loads fine, but when I try to do anything the program just hangs. I cannot even import a single book anymore. In the most recent version I at least get an error message stating that the program has "hung" and to "restart" the program. In previous versions I could not convert any of my books (all non-drm). Does anyone know what has happenned during the last several updates?

I am using winxp. After more than a year of successfully using the program I am about to give up! I suspect all my metadata will now be lost as well?

I would appreciate any help.
The new calibre 7.21 onward will make a backup of your meta-data and save it with the title.
Thhis is pretty intensive the first time after an upgrade from a version that did not have it.
If your machine is slightly under-powered, it will bog down.
Start Calibre and do nothing with it for a few hours (if you have a 1000+ books)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
mentz

Red face Calibre hanging

Right now I have not been able to re-import any of my books - did a fresh install. Just trying to import one is impossible. The adding dialog box just sits there for ten minutes or more. Previous versions about 3 months ago could import several books no problem, but not anymore. I had the same problem with trying to convert books in the last two versions.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:04 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentz View Post
Right now I have not been able to re-import any of my books - did a fresh install. Just trying to import one is impossible. The adding dialog box just sits there for ten minutes or more. Previous versions about 3 months ago could import several books no problem, but not anymore. I had the same problem with trying to convert books in the last two versions.
Does "fresh install" mean that you started over with a new library and tried to import your books?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I've had problems with Calibre 'hanging' and timing out while trying to import HTML sources to generate a book. I found that stripping out all the spurilous header trash in the <HEAD>...</head> sections usually helps. Just leave in the doc type and any style-sheet references.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
mentz

Calibre hanging

Fresh install, means I completely removed the program. I then tried to re-import my library. Calibre then hangs. I then tried to just import a file, but same situation. I tried several different types of files: .lit and .mobi. Did not try any html files.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I really doubt this has anything to do with upgrades. If you want to confirm that simply uninstall and install an older calibre release from http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/files/

What it sounds like to me is that something on your system changed, preventing the worker processes calibre uses from working properly. The most likely culprit in these cases is an antivirus program.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
ebooklurver
ebooklurver began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs650
Hanging with Ubuntu and Sony PRS-650

I am also having a hanging issue, although I am using Ubuntu 10.04

I have only recently brought my e-reader, Sony PRS-650 so cannot say if this is a new issue.

I am trying to transfer my library to the e-reader and it is currently taking way too long.

I am trying to copy 174 books to the memory card on the e-reader. The running time is currently 43mins, status says 'working' and the progress bar says 'unavailable'.

I will soon stop this process and downgrade to the previous version to see if this cures it (I am currently on the latest version 0.7.22).
ebooklurver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
mentz

Kovid was correct. It is my anti-virus program. Hadn't considered this as it had not interfered with calibre in the last year and I had not update the program. Interesting in that my anti-virus program ESET NOD32 does not allow the program to run. Gives me a message of a python error. I tried to put in an exception for the program file calibre, but this doesn't do the trick. Any suggestions.

So far the simple work around is to close the anti-virus, load calibre and then I can turn it back on.

Thanks for all the help.