Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Alex Reader details divulged

According to this pdf from Alex's corporate website, Alex will be released to consumers February 22 for $359 online. The Alex's content partner will be Borders through Kobo.

For those who didn't hear about the excitement late last year, the Alex is very similar to the Nook. It also runs Android, has Wi-Fi and 3G, and sports two screens, one e-Ink, the other LCD. The LCD screen is slightly larger than the Nook's, and, like the Nook, this screen is used to control the upper e-Ink display.

There are some major functionality differences between the two devices.
  • The Alex will be open to apps from the Android Marketplace.
  • There is a built in browser which can "print to" the top screen for easier reading.
  • Content which cannot be viewed well on the top screen, such as movies and color photos, can be viewed on the bottom screen.
  • The Alex has a microphone for recording voice annotations over text.

You can find the full tech specs on their website.

Oh, did I forget to say? WANT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home-product-pitch.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	45021   Click image for larger version

Name:	home-product-shot.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	45022  

Last edited by nikkie; 02-04-2010 at 11:15 PM.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I still like it. I'm not going to buy it but I like it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I like it too. Probably not going to buy it, though. I wonder if sideloaded content shows up on the bottom screen? That's a biggie that would be holding me back from a nook, if I was going to buy another e-ink device.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Looks great-love to see what they do with the LCD screen below.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I still like it. I'm not going to buy it but I like it.
Yeah, I find it kind of weird that all of the devices I want aren't on the market yet, but in the next two months, there are at least 4 that I'm very interested in: the Alex, the Entourage Edge, the iRex DR800SG, and the iPad.

I like the iRex, but dislike that it has no wifi. I like the iPad, and will definitely buy one, but I want something e-Ink in addition. I like the Entourage Edge's feature set, but it seems like it would be a bit heavy for long format reading. Also, I'm not sure if it would thoroughly be obsoleted by the iPad, because I don't know how much I'll enjoy reading on the iPad. The alex is great, but the reading screen is a bit small for technical books. However, I wouldn't want the screen to be any bigger, because then it would get heavy!

With all four, I could do everything! Hah.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Like the back-and-forth ideas between the two screens. I wonder if they will provide a way to "flip" everything upside down so that the colour screen is on top instead of between you and what you are reading!
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Yeah, I find it kind of weird that all of the devices I want aren't on the market yet, but in the next two months, there are at least 4 that I'm very interested in: the Alex, the Entourage Edge, the iRex DR800SG, and the iPad.

I like the iRex, but dislike that it has no wifi. I like the iPad, and will definitely buy one, but I want something e-Ink in addition. I like the Entourage Edge's feature set, but it seems like it would be a bit heavy for long format reading. Also, I'm not sure if it would thoroughly be obsoleted by the iPad, because I don't know how much I'll enjoy reading on the iPad. The alex is great, but the reading screen is a bit small for technical books. However, I wouldn't want the screen to be any bigger, because then it would get heavy!

With all four, I could do everything! Hah.
I so know the feeling! I sort of want a nook, or an Alex, even though I said I wouldn't buy another device that didn't read all formats. But, at the same time, I want something with a tablet form factor and a touchscreen. Chris says one of the new tablet netbooks would be ideal for him, because he wants a physical keyboard. I like that idea too, because of the full operating system on it which means it will read all formats. I'd actually love both - one to carry, one to read on at home. But I'm afraid that's out of the question, unless I win the lottery or something.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
The Alex website talks about ePub - and I assume that it can handle Sony and Overdrive.com DRM via Adobe Digital Editions.

Do you think it can run iReader for Android phones? iReader claims MobiPocket DRM and eReader support. (I hope someone can answer this same question for the Entourage Edge)

It would be very nice to have a paper-like device that could read all the books at the public library via Overdrive.com.

A choice, Entourage Edge for features or Alex for size and weight. Both Android based.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Thanks for the Alex-update!
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
nikkie
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
The Alex website talks about ePub - and I assume that it can handle Sony and Overdrive.com DRM via Adobe Digital Editions.
That's a pretty reasonable assumption, but we'll want to have somebody check once it comes out. If I get one, I'll let you know!

Quote:
Do you think it can run iReader for Android phones? iReader claims MobiPocket DRM and eReader support. (I hope someone can answer this same question for the Entourage Edge)
My guess would be yes, and that if it isn't available out of the box, it will be within a few months by the "nook" dev team, which I suspect will soon become the Android eReader dev team.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:47 AM   #11
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

I couldn't tell - is the e-ink screen touch sensitive as well? or just the colour screen?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #12
nikkie
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
I couldn't tell - is the e-ink screen touch sensitive as well? or just the colour screen?
Just the color screen.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #13
guyanonymous
Guru

Merci buckets!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:10 AM   #14
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
So much nicer than the nook.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:13 AM   #15
nikkie
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvshihtzu View Post
So much nicer than the nook.
I agree! Though some don't - some don't like the slightly larger LCD.