Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #16
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kindle TV advert is just a mess. If you didn't know about the Kindle, you'd still not know.
I would recommend against calling them eReaders, JSWolf. The term "eReader" actually refers to a proprietary (!!) eBook format--that isn't nearly as good as ePub--and so people are sure to be confused.

Thank you!

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #17
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Yesterday was the first day I'd seen the Kindle commercials on TV... not impressed. (My wife, sitting next to me, said: "What are they selling?")

TeleRead highlights a Computerworld article that gives 7 reasons why e-book devices are not a good buy this year. Mostly obvious and spurious reasons, IMO: The same 7 reasons would apply to about any piece of electronics out there, including--ahem--computers.

Still, I'm safe at home, not braving the malls, so I have no way of knowing how much of this is actually impacting buying customers.
That was a IMHO a stupid article. Number 6 declaring those who want one would already have one so if you bought for someone you'd be enforcing a gift to someone who doesn't want one: WHAT A CROCK. I have wanted an ereader ever since I read up on the Kindle when it was first released, and only bought my first ereader in september.

Number 5: screen technology that is old and busted? My 3 year old laptop has the same screen as what is selling now, my mobile phone has the same screen as new ones.

All the points are bollocks but I am going to lastly comment on number 3, so many different ways to read an ebook. Well yes you can use your PDA, computer and mobile phone - much to the same extent you can use your PDA, computer and mobile phone to listen to music....yet people have the need/want for a dedicated mp3 player.

Sorry, just needed to rant.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #18
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I was at Best Buy today (yes, I know I'm a little bit crazy). They had the PRS 300 as one of their limited quantity doorbuster items - regular price, but with a $30 Best Buy gift card. When I was there at around noon (at least 6 hours after the ad started) not only did they still have quite a few of the special offer readers available, but in the 15 or so minutes I was there I never saw anyone even approach the display. Definitely not a hot item in my little corner of the world!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #19
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I was at Best Buy today (yes, I know I'm a little bit crazy). They had the PRS 300 as one of their limited quantity doorbuster items - regular price, but with a $30 Best Buy gift card. When I was there at around noon (at least 6 hours after the ad started) not only did they still have quite a few of the special offer readers available, but in the 15 or so minutes I was there I never saw anyone even approach the display. Definitely not a hot item in my little corner of the world!
Readers aren't that hot relative to TVs, GPS units etc. as they only appeal to avid readers, and $30 gift card isn't much of a deal for Black Friday on any item around that price. So no surprise they weren't getting much attention.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:06 AM   #20
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
I would recommend against calling them eReaders, JSWolf. The term "eReader" actually refers to a proprietary (!!) eBook format--that isn't nearly as good as ePub--and so people are sure to be confused.

Thank you!

- Ahi
at this point in time that has become a common usage phrase like tissues are referred to as kleenex, female hygiene products as tampax, carbonated brown sugar water as coke. nothing to get your panties in a bunch over
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #21
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Just mentioned in another thread that a five second clip on French TV news this morning showed the Black Friday rush on one huge US store (looked to me to be roughly the size of Monaco). When the camera turned onto the checkout, what should be rung up but a Sony reader. Sheer coincidence, perhaps, that of all the tens of thousands of items that could be going through checkout, it happened to be an ereader. Kinda backs up a claim here the other day that ebook readers were the second top item on the Black Friday shopping list ... second only to boots. Hoots. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:33 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post

Thank you!

- Ahi
Thank you for for once again being pointless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #23
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was at Best Buy today (yes, I know I'm a little bit crazy).
Yes, you are.

Quote:
They had the PRS 300 as one of their limited quantity doorbuster items - regular price, but with a $30 Best Buy gift card. When I was there at around noon (at least 6 hours after the ad started) not only did they still have quite a few of the special offer readers available, but in the 15 or so minutes I was there I never saw anyone even approach the display. Definitely not a hot item in my little corner of the world!
Well, let's face it: That's not a "deal" at all... no wonder no one got near them. Obviously Best Buy wasn't serious about moving them... but then, I've seen the Sonys at Best Buy, and their salespeople don't know a thing about them. I could just imagine a manager saying, "You mean, that's not a Kindle? Well, what are we gonna do with it?"
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #24
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Boots? I want some boots.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:56 AM   #25
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Best Buy

In a new commercial Best Buy mentions the Sony Reader as a possible gift, along with headphones? I have to say the headphones part seems lame to me, aren't there better guy gifts out there? Like one of those expensive universal remotes?

Anyways I think the Kindle commercials randomness is meant to show the wide variety of topics that a kindle's ebooks can have? Suiting a variety of moods and tastes? At least that is how I interperted it.

I saw an Foxit ereader in the wild this week at Fry's, it was on a end of the row advert area. A good sign I think!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #26
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Anyways I think the Kindle commercials randomness is meant to show the wide variety of topics that a kindle's ebooks can have? Suiting a variety of moods and tastes? At least that is how I interperted it.
Me, too. It's problem is that it doesn't really get across the idea of people getting all that stuff from a book on the Kindle. And let's face it: Quite a bit of the "book" imagery they use is pretty lame...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #27
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't seen either one, but that's not surprising -- I avoid commercials if at all possible. That's why everything get Tivo'd
Old 11-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Me, too. It's problem is that it doesn't really get across the idea of people getting all that stuff from a book on the Kindle. And let's face it: Quite a bit of the "book" imagery they use is pretty lame...
When the girl first grabs the Kindle, if you didn't know it was a Kindle, you'd never know it. It seems just another thing in the mish-mash that is the advert. Though I do like the song.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #29
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I actually had to go to YouTube for the Kindle commercial. I *don't* watch commercials by timeshifting all my TV shows and using software to skip the commercials in the shows that have them.

Anyway, it was okay. If you don't specifically know what a Kindle is the commercial is a bit oblique.

Jon - You can download the song if you want.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #30
kennyc

This one's pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI0Zry_R4RQ&feature=fvw