Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Araneae
Araneae began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Problems Editing Metadata

Hello, I have been having problems with Calibre and my Nook HD+. I am trying to edit the metadata of a book, but when I do so it does not load on my device.
Here are the steps I am taking:

Import a clean, DRM free EPUB into Calibre.
Right click the book, change title from "A Game of Thrones" to "Song of Ice and Fire #1: A Game of Thrones."
Change cover to a better cover while I am editing metadata.
After I am done and save the metadata, I right click, send to main memory of my device.
Open EPUB on device, get an error message: "Error Dialog - Sorry, cannot open this book."

I know this issue is with Calibre editing the metadata, because the book works if I do this:

Import the same clean, DRM free EPUB into Calibre.
Right click the book, change the cover to a better cover.
After I do that, I right click and send to main memory of my device.

The book works if I do that and has the better cover that I want and it works fine on my device. However the minute I try and change the title and send to my device the book stops working. Can anyone help me with this?
Araneae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Did you try it without using the # symbol? I know some systems don't allow certain characters in file names, and possibly the Nook has the same limitation. I would think the colon would be ok, but maybe try using a comma there instead too to be certain.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Araneae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Did you try it without using the # symbol? I know some systems don't allow certain characters in file names, and possibly the Nook has the same limitation. I would think the colon would be ok, but maybe try using a comma there instead too to be certain.
Wow that simple answer made my books work again, thank you so much! Is there any way that I can set up Calibre to allow the # symbol in the metadata of the ebook, but when I sync it to my device it erases that symbol from the actual file name? Because if I remove the symbol from the file name of the epub, the book loads just fine even with that symbol in the metadata of the title.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Avoid certain symbols in file names.
Titles (internal) don't affect filesystems
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Araneae

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Avoid certain symbols in file names.
Titles (internal) don't affect filesystems
Well now that I know what is screwing my ebooks up, the easiest thing would be to remove the # symbol from the metadata of all my ebooks. However, I have about 440 ebooks in my calibre library. Would you or anyone else know how I could go about setting up Calibre to do a massive search in the metadata of all my ebooks for the # symbol and remove it?

Edit* Nevermind I got it by bulk editing the metadata of all my ebooks!

Last edited by Araneae; 01-20-2013 at 06:50 PM.